I found this very interesting-works both ways too, I guess!

Promotion of Facebook Groups are NOT allowed on our ROLL CALLS

Cruise Critic no longer allows the promotion of Facebook groups created for specific cruise line sailings on our ROLL CALLS.

We feel this is in the best interest of members who enjoy participating on Cruise Critic ROLL CALLS.

Links and/or posts directing members to Facebook pages will be removed.

Members repeatedly violating this policy risk losing their posting privileges.

If you currently have any Facebook groups listed in your online signature, please remove them.

Thank you for your cooperation.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WHAT DO OTHER'S THINK?

Thanks Pushka, I had only just seen it and found it very interesting.

I would have thought that it might have been a two way street of promotion for both CC & FB. As I believe that both sites have 2 very different purposes.

I wonder what rationale CC used for such a decision!

I learned about this rule, the hard way. I actually directed an enthusiastic, newbie cruiser to their roll call on FB once as there was no roll call for their cruise here on CC, trying to be helpful and was warned by the WWOTN that this was against the rules.:rolleyes:

All it is is a display of insecurity.

If you have confidence your product is the best in the market and no matter what is out there, is not threatening and that people will continue to return to you, then FB is not a threat...and tbh it's unlikely to every be to something like this. FB is not suited for forum like activities and question and answer threads.

But it shows the naively of the forum masters as I have seen several very strong forums wither away and rivals take their place ( both within the cruising world and other sorts of forums) as the rules became more restrictive, and the crowd became more cliche and petty with questionable moderation.

I think this policy has been around for a while.

That said, I also believe they were running/going to run a facebook trial some years back where they incorporated that annoying like button. Since that's not around, there may have been some issue between them.

That said, it's pretty fortunate they don't have it, given the knockdown to websites that button caused last week. Enough outages as there are here! :-)

I also have seen some migration activity e.g. roll calls migrate to facebook so it seems understandable to not encourage that anyway.

I think its a crock of Sh##! Who actually runs this forum? When I joined many moons ago nothing was taboo apart from bullying other members?

Cruise Critic sends me without fail cheap cruises every day and T/A,s are at the top of their list? yet we are not allowed to mention T/A,s

Who or What actually runs this site and are all posters aware?

I remember way back when I did a few scaving reviews and they were deleted?

Cruise Critic or Cruise write as we want you to?

Cruise "Critic" is fine unless you are actually "Critical" about a cruise line lol then its not allowed?

Should just be called "Cruise forum"

Den

I think its a crock of Sh##! Who actually runs this forum? When I joined many moons ago nothing was taboo apart from bullying other members?

Cruise Critic sends me without fail cheap cruises every day and T/A,s are at the top of their list? yet we are not allowed to mention T/A,s

Who or What actually runs this site and are all posters aware?

I remember way back when I did a few scaving reviews and they were deleted?

Cruise Critic or Cruise write as we want you to?

Cruise "Critic" is fine unless you are actually "Critical" about a cruise line lol then its not allowed?

Should just be called "Cruise forum"

Den

This might answer your question

http://www.cruisecritic.com/aboutus/index.cfm?ID=10&pressID=27

CC is a great, free to use Internet service -- it is not compulsory to use this forum, there are others. However I am happy to abide by their rules, regardless of what they are.

Barry

I agree Barry.

For me FB book is too 'Open' for my liking. Yes I use FB but would not like to do so for cruising and roll calls. Perhaps I am an old snob!

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions. I do enjoy robust discussions

Yes I would have thought the 2 sites have slightly different reasons for being and I do wonder what CC is worried about or indeed what their rational was for the decision!

Oh well! if we use these things then we need to obey the rules wether we agree or not.

thanks again for your thoughts it's all very interesting! ;)

Archived