Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

To those of you who are criticizing the media for making a big deal of this:

The media is all we have as cruising consumers. The 12 page contract puts us at the mercy of the cruise lines- not just for compensation, but for possibly shoddy maintenance and what we all can agree is "cost cutting" above and below decks. Most of us who have been on CC for years and have taken many cruises have read threads about ships being put to sea, loaded with pax, and then missing ports because of propulsion problems, or having rough rides because of stabilizer problems, or having sewage smells that don't let up- and we can all name the ships where these problems have REPEATEDLY occurred.

Nothing we can say or do, no "email to Miami" (or Seattle), no voting with our wallets can create any change because there is always someone else ready to book a cabin.

And the crew: we all speak so highly of the crew, but they have zero protection either. If they complain they are put off at the next port and sent home with the tickets they pre-paid for when they signed their contracts. We can tip them- but are the tips pooled and does the maitre d take his cut? Are the cabin crew tips used to secure that extra egg crate mattress we asked for? We can praise them and smile at them- but can we deny that they now have three or four times the. Amount of work they had even five years ago?

The media has called Carnival to task for this disaster. Come on. Look at it. Put down your pompoms and set aside your congnitive dissonance because you have a cruise booked and LOOK. They towed them across the gulf rather than take them to Progreso. Honestly- Progreso is horrible but it's not THAT bad;). They could have dropped off bottled water and MRE's and whatever. They could have fixed the propulsion problems we all know they had in the month prior.

As long as it's us against them Arison will be tweeting "Go Heat!" As people are trapped in hulls dying and be in his owner's box while cabin crew are pouring water in toilets to clean fecal matter- and smiling at the same time. The media is doing us a big fat favor here.

were you on the ship? and how do you think water and MREs could have been dropped onto the ship, and why would a ship be tugged against the current to mexico, and who died, and how else do you empty toilets when a flushing system works on the principle of escaping air and water. and many workers in all kinds of professions sometimes have to step up to the plate, that's part of life.

and I don't need sensationalist media to do my thinking for me or to provide an unsuspecting public with information backed my innuendo and sound bites. shame on me if i take a media's interpretation of events without a grain of salt.

They did evacuate a diabetic and communication was almost non-existent as they had no power.

Pat

I didn't mean that I thought the captain should be calling people at home, I meant the corporate office,

And did they evacuate a diabetic, I thought it was a person who was on dialysis which is the reason they were evacuated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CNN will have a Piers Morgan Tonight show about the "Cruise From Hell" Friday evening at 9 PM EST.

Does anyone actually watch that idiot? I couldn't stand him on AGT, and was glad he got the boot.

And watching CNN yesterday made me glad I don't watch CNN. It was just too bad they got exclusive rights, and wonder why.

Does anyone actually watch that idiot? I couldn't stand him on AGT, and was glad he got the boot.

And watching CNN yesterday made me glad I don't watch CNN. It was just too bad they got exclusive rights, and wonder why.

I'm not sure they got exclusive "rights" per se, I just think nobody else chose to dedicate so much manpower to the story. Outside of us cruise freaks, there isn't much interest.

• Administrators
There's only one that I know of, CCLMischele, and she's been AWOL though all this.

Wait just a second: CCLMischelle is no "shill"; she's a full time Carnival employee.

I also think they should do more than the five hundred per person (and the future cruise etc) because the financial losses for a lot of those people will be over 500.

For a 4 day Carnival Cruise, 500$ is more then I think 90% of the rooms on the ship. The one I went on was I think around 300pp for a balcony.

I am in noway a CCL cheerleader but I think they are going above and beyond to make these people whole. Im sure I wouldnt be thrilled if it was me and I might be screaming for more but after a few days these people will look back and realize how lucky they were considering.

. . .

and I don't need sensationalist media to do my thinking for me or to provide an unsuspecting public with information backed my innuendo and sound bites. shame on me if i take a media's interpretation of events without a grain of salt.

Perhaps, even, potential 'shame on you' for choosing to use the remote to access those particular news channels you know might cause you angst. The option is yours . . . totally yours.

I would question this story only because they did evacuate 2 or 3 people for medical reasons, one for "just" a broken ankle.

Diabetic shock usually means low sugar and that they don't need insulin, but a soda or juice or some food to treat the low sugar. Diabetics can go without insulin for a few days and actually be just fine as long as they don't eat high carb meals.

Diabetic shock usually means low sugar and that they don't need insulin, but a soda or juice or some food to treat the low sugar. Diabetics can go without insulin for a few days and actually be just fine as long as they don't eat high carb meals.

Fair enough, but the situation is tense enough without a diabetic aboard who doesn't have the medication they need. A lot of their meals consisted primarily of bread, too.

were you on the ship? and how do you think water and MREs could have been dropped onto the shipwithout

Actually one of the people I heard interviewed said they were making food drops on the ship plus had received food from 2 other ships. I also think there are way too many false reports. Last night I also heard some people saying they would use the cruise credit and get back on the ship but have not read their interview on line today, no one said it was fun, but the media was trying to twist their words and only report the worst they could. This was not a pleasure trip, but I actually heard someone say the slept with their life jackets on near their lifeboat because of the Tiatanic, never heard anything so crazy in all my life.

This was not a pleasure trip, but I actually heard someone say the slept with their life jackets on near their lifeboat because of the Tiatanic, never heard anything so crazy in all my life.

For a first time cruiser, I'm not sure how that's such a crazy thought.

CNN was definitely focusing on the worst things people said. They would interview someone for 5 minutes or more, and if they weren't complaining enough they'd ask them something specific about one bad aspect, and then they'd run part of that one comment on the chiron underneath the picture. The worst I saw was when they asked one guy about the red bags. He said that at one point a lady asked him if she could use one of his because she didn't have one handy. So CNN then puts "passengers forced to share red bags" on the chiron strongly implying that more than one person would, ahem, "use" the bag before discarding it, which was completely untrue. They have tens of thousands of those red bags aboard. They're just trash bags with the biohazard symbol printed on them.

The media is all we have as cruising consumers. The 12 page contract puts us at the mercy of the cruise lines- not just for compensation, but for possibly shoddy maintenance and what we all can agree is "cost cutting" above and below decks. Most of us who have been on CC for years and have taken many cruises have read threads about ships being put to sea, loaded with pax, and then missing ports because of propulsion problems, or having rough rides because of stabilizer problems, or having sewage smells that don't let up- and we can all name the ships where these problems have REPEATEDLY occurred.

Nothing we can say or do, no "email to Miami" (or Seattle), no voting with our wallets can create any change because there is always someone else ready to book a cabin.

And the crew: we all speak so highly of the crew, but they have zero protection either. If they complain they are put off at the next port and sent home with the tickets they pre-paid for when they signed their contracts. We can tip them- but are the tips pooled and does the maitre d take his cut? Are the cabin crew tips used to secure that extra egg crate mattress we asked for? We can praise them and smile at them- but can we deny that they now have three or four times the. Amount of work they had even five years ago?

The media has called Carnival to task for this disaster. Come on. Look at it. Put down your pompoms and set aside your congnitive dissonance because you have a cruise booked and LOOK. They towed them across the gulf rather than take them to Progreso. Honestly- Progreso is horrible but it's not THAT bad;). They could have dropped off bottled water and MRE's and whatever. They could have fixed the propulsion problems we all know they had in the month prior.

As long as it's us against them Arison will be tweeting "Go Heat!" As people are trapped in hulls dying and be in his owner's box while cabin crew are pouring water in toilets to clean fecal matter- and smiling at the same time. The media is doing us a big fat favor here.

So...this voting thing. I've been wondering about something for days now. Do those who so proudly wave their shares of Carnival stock actually vote stockholder issues or even bother to fill out their proxy? Just curious. Or is it a matter of that OBC thing?

(I'm frankly baffled by some of the "hurrah Carnival" that I've seen and I've jumped to the conclusion that some of it may be because some people own stock??? Am I wrong??? I've only sailed Carnival to this point because I'm frugal to a fault. And yeah, I'm rethinking that.)

Perhaps, even, potential 'shame on you' for choosing to use the remote to access those particular news channels you know might cause you angst. The option is yours . . . totally yours.

did i say i watched ANY CNN or FOX firsthand about this situation. I wouldn't waste my time. Sadly the information i have received about these channels is purely second hand and i am making conjecture based on past experience (before I knew better) and relayed information. I don't think I have watched a full CNN or FOX program since the first gulf war. So I may be talking/keyboarding out of turn and without first hand knowledge, and for that i do apologize.

They did have steak that day and the one before when they got a grill working.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

And I'm sure they were hungry again by that hour of debarkation. I have no problem eating steak twice in one day, especially hours after I was expecting to get off. Better yet, a sliced steak hoagie with smothered onions.

Or even a nice turkey sandwich on Italian bread.

Historically, that is the role of the media.

Why some are making them the villain escapes me. They didn't cause this.

Good morning Computer Cruisers....we made it back!!

Pretty much agree with alot of the comments. Curious about the investigation. Hopefully someone releases preliminary results.

One CNN interviewer (by phone) was a retired CG ship inspector. He said when he heard a call for fire team ALPHA, he got outta bed and went for a walk cause he knew come thing wasn't right. Went to the lido deck, saw smoke black smoke coming outta the stack vent and went and got his family and headed or the muster station before the official call. The look on Erin Burnett s face as he described this was priceless. She didn't know about this before the interview.

One thing that has really struck me is the amount of anxiety and paranoia that some people get when the ship rolls 3-4 or 5 deg. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but people really think the ship is going over. Some way thru education of some sort may make their cruising experience better, especially for the first/second time cruisers.

I'll bet if you did something as simple as mounting a Heelmeter (lmao) on the lido deck, it would get a large amount of attention!! Great picture opportunity too. The whole issue just stuck in my head for some reason.

So....back to the crew...I hope carnival takes care of them. For the ones who live off tips, they got hosed if CCL doesn't make up the difference. That would be a shame.

Actually one of the people I heard interviewed said they were making food drops on the ship plus had received food from 2 other ships. I also think there are way too many false reports. Last night I also heard some people saying they would use the cruise credit and get back on the ship but have not read their interview on line today, no one said it was fun, but the media was trying to twist their words and only report the worst they could. This was not a pleasure trip, but I actually heard someone say the slept with their life jackets on near their lifeboat because of the Tiatanic, never heard anything so crazy in all my life.

the triumph did receive some supplies the first day or two when they were dead in the water from passing carnival cruise ships and some from a CG ship. but once they were underway any such supply chain was broken not to be resumed until the ship was again dead in the water. if you were to ask the passengers onboard i think they would have wanted to be towed as quickly as possible rather than sitting around for hours as the ship was stocked with food. but that is an absolute guess on my part.

Wait just a second: CCLMischelle is no "shill"; she's a full time Carnival employee.

Maybe I missed the word shill. In fact I need to look that up!

I simply mean CCL employee. And probably is being paid while posting.

In fact, so am I! :)

Edit: Mea culpa to Miss Mischele. I did miss that word, and in no way do I / did I ever consider her one!

Oh so well said!

We as cruisers are the paying customers who need to be able to criticize and scrutinize the cruise lines, who are our service providers, not some godly creatures who can do no wrong. And media is a good method in this case. It really doesn't matter which cruise line it is.

Some of the cheerleaders on these boards are absolutely weird! They seem to love a cruise line more than a better cruising experience!

Historically, that is the role of the media.

Why some are making them the villain escapes me. They didn't cause this.

Reporting the news is one thing, sensationalizing it is another. It seems like anytime they start to interview someone who says "It was bad, but manageable", the interview is terminated. They act like they want someone to tell them how it was worse than being trapped in a episode of The Walking Dead. I'm sure we'll hear from people who were on the ship, including a few CC members, in the next day or two. Then we'll see if it was Truth in Reporting or just a ratings grab.

Archived