Anyone else had trouble bringing on their wine?

Hi all!

A previous thread was saying that some passengers were having trouble upon boarding Voyager with bringing on their 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

Has this also been the case with Radiance and Rhapsody?

If so, how was it resolved?

I took my 2 bottles through via my carry-on last time and intended to do the same next month.

I really don't want to be told at embarkment that the policy has changed - again!

What's going on?:confused:

Gae

On the Rhapsody wine in your suitcase went to the naughty room - no problem when I explained it they released my cases. Albeit at 5PM after boarding at 12. Others brought on in their carry on baggage - no problem.

One daughter had hers in the grog shop plastic bag. No problem either. We drank hers while we waited for our cases.;)

Our travelling friends had no problem when we boarded Radiance recently - 2 bottles in their carry-on. We have no interest in drinking wine in our room, so offered to carry on 2 bottles for them also, but they didn't worry - they didn't plan to drink much in their room. That's what bars are for :)

It seems to me that the problem is in having it in your suitcase. We walked on with 2 bottles of wine in a wetsuit material type bottle holder. The only people asking questions were the other passengers that gleefully said we couldn't bring them on. We smiled and said the rules have changed, and then they asked where the nearest bottle shop is!!! Double check the website, but as of last month in Sydney, no issues to bring 2 bottles on in clear site, carry on.

It seems to me that the problem is in having it in your suitcase.

This may be the case - as I have to admit we only had personal experience of the alcohol policy in regard to our checkin cases.

BUT -- there was a BIG sign regarding alcohol at the gangway -- it would be good if somebody had a photo of it to read exactly what it says.

Barry

I was another one with my suitcase in the naughty corner. I had to go down and collect it and as soon as I said it was the two bottles of wine we were allowed it was released, they didn't even check to see. Our group had no problems carrying the wine onboard even straight past the sign saying no alcohol. I think they just haven't updated the sign since the new policy came into effect. We even got off and bought some more and then walked back on with it later.

• 2 weeks later...
No probs. we did get in trouble for the cannoli we just bought though. No fresh food we were told. Yet we boarded with a bag full of apricots. So it does seem very inconsistent.

Umm.. tell me more about this cannoli!! Sorry, this is off-topic, but I'm a huge fan :) Did you get it close to the port? Was it any good? Sounds like pre-boarding deliciousness!!

Janelle

Umm.. tell me more about this cannoli!! Sorry, this is off-topic, but I'm a huge fan :) Did you get it close to the port? Was it any good? Sounds like pre-boarding deliciousness!!

We got it from Rossini's which is at Circular Quay, just near the end of the pier. I am sorry to say I am not sure how fantastic it was as I put it in the fridge and then forgot about it until the day after, was ok then but obviously not great.

This may be the case - as I have to admit we only had personal experience of the alcohol policy in regard to our checkin cases.

BUT -- there was a BIG sign regarding alcohol at the gangway -- it would be good if somebody had a photo of it to read exactly what it says.

Barry

Hi Barry, that signage at the Sydney OPT relates to those pax embarking ships that do not permit BYO alcohol, e.g. P&O Australia. If the cruise line permits byo, e.g. 2 bottles of wine then the signage does not apply. People on our Celebrity Solstice Roll Call clarified that with Sydney Ports the other day. Celebrity only permits 2 bottles of byo wine per cabin NOT per person. So we will comply with that, we like to have a chardy on the balcony. This next one is only a 12 day cruise, so we will lash out a bit on the ship's vino, albeit the cheaper Chilean or Calfornian wine.

Archived