New Pope

Moonlitherial

Since this had the possibility of impacting multiple med cruise dates I thought I'd ask here.

Any insight on the tourism impact of this? Obviously Rome is going to be a lot more crowded but do they close the Vatican during the deliberations? And how long do those deliberations take?

Any insight on the tourism impact of this? Obviously Rome is going to be a lot more crowded but do they close the Vatican during the deliberations? And how long do those deliberations take?

The Sistine Chapel will be closed, since that's where the Papal Conclave takes place, but the rest of the Vatican should be open for business. Probably a lot more security, though, as well as crowds.

With Easter at the end of March, I'm sure they'll want to elect a new pope fairly quickly, but, as Mark said, it takes as long as it takes.

St. Peter's and Vatican likely should be open but as mentioned, Sistine Chapel will be closed to all but those involved in the process. To close the Vatican during peak tourist season would cost the church a huge some of money. Admission fees, souvenirs, tours etc

Archived