First Time Cruise - Choosing between Suites

Hawaiino

It's our first cruise, it's our (33) anniversary , and I'm at a loss trying to figure out which suite offers the most value for money.

I wanted to splurge as a first timer on Seabourne or SilverSeas but the Reflections timing and ports suited us very well, and I thought for a first time the big ship options were appealing. I could budget up to $500 nt for each of us since that's what I was willing to pay them.

I went on CC and requested Jr Suite or Suite quotes for Reflection 5/27/13 sailing. Got a range from C3 at less than $200/nt/ea to a CS at over $400/nt. AS and S-2's were closely bunched at just under $300/nt/ea.

As an additional incentive I first got looking at cruises because we want to go to the Galapagos next year, and Celebrity has the ship we want to be on there, so it seems to make sense to start with this line. Loyalty has served me well with Marriott and Delta so I'm inclined to follow the same approach with cruise ships.

Mahalo

It's our first cruise, it's our (33) anniversary , and I'm at a loss trying to figure out which suite offers the most value for money.

I wanted to splurge as a first timer on Seabourne or SilverSeas but the Reflections timing and ports suited us very well, and I thought for a first time the big ship options were appealing. I could budget up to $500 nt for each of us since that's what I was willing to pay them.

I went on CC and requested Jr Suite or Suite quotes for Reflection 5/27/13 sailing. Got a range from C3 at less than $200/nt/ea to a CS at over $400/nt. AS and S-2's were closely bunched at just under $300/nt/ea.

As an additional incentive I first got looking at cruises because we want to go to the Galapagos next year, and Celebrity has the ship we want to be on there, so it seems to make sense to start with this line. Loyalty has served me well with Marriott and Delta so I'm inclined to follow the same approach with cruise ships.

Mahalo

We tend to choose the S1 corner aft cabins, usually on deck 11 but have also been on deck 9. We had friends who were next door in an S2 which was very nice also and usually a little less expensive than the S1. We love being on the stern, and also enjoy corner cabins with wrap balconies. We haven't been in a Celebrity Suite so can't compare there. If you enjoy Celebrity after your first cruise, you might want to plan to reach Elite status before you book the Galapagos. As an Ellite member you will get a 10% discount on the Galapagos cruise which can add up to a nice discount.

The more you pay, the better the room. A C3 is NOT a suite, but a regular sized stateroom that comes with a few extra perks (though nothing too enticing). S2's and AS's are classified as suites (and come with suite perks), but in reality are more like a larger than normal stateroom than a true suite (i.e. it is one larger-than-normal room). The AS have some nice additional perks such as dining in a smaller dining room for breakfast and dinner called Blu that is more like a real restaurant than the main dining room (which is like a large banquet hall). CS are true suites with a completed separate bedroom and living space. Very large balcony (especially if you can score one on the slanted portion of the hump) with nice deck furniture. Sometimes people in CS receive some extra unlisted perks such as being granted Elite status in Celebrity's loyalty program (though this perk is not guaranteed). If you go a category above this (Royal Suite) you have a massive stateroom and balcony (with hottub on the balcony) and are highly likely to receive some really nice extra perks.

Well...I'm getting down to it. I actually have a CS (1620) on hold for the Equinox, May 29 from Barcelona. I'm still considering others, including the Reflection and got a great number of quotes for it and various other voyages from *************. In the end it's come down to Silver Wind (9 nts/$8k for VI or VIS), Reflection (11 nts/ $6k - AS or $6.6k - S1/2), or Equinox (12 nts/ $6.3k - S2 or $8k - CS)

I can't keep all the inducements straight; drink packages, OBC's, tour discounts, etc. I figure to pick the best cabin quote and let the "deals" fall where they may, they seem to be prevalent.

Question; Anyone sail both Silver Seas and Celebrity? The Wind seems to promise a more inclusive experience, more intimate (?) and perhaps more relaxing. Equinox/Reflection seem to offer the option of mixing with the hurly burly (unless everyone is pushing a walker as some other threads intimate). Getting into Celebrity as a frequent user (Elite) has appeal for future voyages.

I have till midnite to close the deal direct with Celebrity on the CS suite. I held it since it appeared to be the last CS suite....and the website price was within a few hundred bucks of the cheapest ************* price (without figuring all the inducements in. BTW, when I talk to a Celebrity agent are they going to offer me all those packages?)

Well...I'm getting down to it. I actually have a CS (1620) on hold for the Equinox, May 29 from Barcelona. I'm still considering others, including the Reflection and got a great number of quotes for it and various other voyages from *************. In the end it's come down to Silver Wind (9 nts/$8k for VI or VIS), Reflection (11 nts/ $6k - AS or $6.6k - S1/2), or Equinox (12 nts/ $6.3k - S2 or $8k - CS)

I can't keep all the inducements straight; drink packages, OBC's, tour discounts, etc. I figure to pick the best cabin quote and let the "deals" fall where they may, they seem to be prevalent.

Question; Anyone sail both Silver Seas and Celebrity? The Wind seems to promise a more inclusive experience, more intimate (?) and perhaps more relaxing. Equinox/Reflection seem to offer the option of mixing with the hurly burly (unless everyone is pushing a walker as some other threads intimate). Getting into Celebrity as a frequent user (Elite) has appeal for future voyages.

I have till midnite to close the deal direct with Celebrity on the CS suite. I held it since it appeared to be the last CS suite....and the website price was within a few hundred bucks of the cheapest ************* price (without figuring all the inducements in. BTW, when I talk to a Celebrity agent are they going to offer me all those packages?)

I had 1619 on Silhouette, perfect location, all the extra's you would/could want. Had looked at the RS, but really only gain a dining area/walk in shower, so didn't think was worth the extra $$$, since there was plenty of room for entertaining in CS

Can someone please clarify? I thought that the gifted Elite status for those booked into the higher end suites was only for that cruise - not that you kept that status afterwards. Upgraded perks for 1 cruise. Am I incorrect?

Elite status is one of the levels for the Captain's Club. Once you have sailed enough to have 10 points you are Elite for any cruises you take after reaching that level. I have heard of people being given Elite perks when sailing in a suite but that would be just the cruise in the suite.

First, Welcome to Cruise Critic. It's a great place to get lots of really helpful info on all aspects of cruising.

Please understand that I think X (Celebrity) provides many passengers with an outstanding value and great product for the price. We just got back from 14 nights on Eclipse (our 7th X Cruise) in a CC stateroom with an oversized balcony and paid a base fare of $2,100 each. That's about $150 per day each and the majority of the staterooms on the ship are cheaper than the one we were in.

Suite guests on X don't get better food, they pay for specialty restaurants, they pay for every drink, they pay daily mandatory tips etc. When you compare costs remember to add in everything else you will pay on X to the price.

Silver Seas & Seabourne are all inclusive. No charge for drinks, tips and from what I read the food is way above the Main Dining Room (MDR) on X. These lines are luxury lines and X is not. It is a completely different product. You will have a beautiful suite on X, but when you walk out your door, you are on the best of the mass-market level cruise lines.

It comes down to what do you want? A large suite on a lesser quality ship or a smaller room on a high quality luxury ship? IMHO they are very difficult to compare.

Did you also look at Regent? They are well regarded and very "all inclusive" as their fares include air, cruise, drinks, shore excursions and tips. Interesting concept. I think that would be my "splurge cruise line"

Anyway, enjoy your quandry....It's a great one to have. Just understand that you are comparing completely different experiences.

BTW: We were in Galapagos about 10 years ago (before X went there) and it is just GREAT!. You will love it. But nothing is as beautiful as Hawaii

Mahalo, PelicanLvr;

"It comes down to what do you want? A large suite on a lesser quality ship or a smaller room on a high quality luxury ship? IMHO they are very difficult to compare."

That's the nub: It's, IMHO, even harder to choose between with no prior experience. I'm an empiricist, and I rarely rely on received wisdom, other that situations like this. With this choice I am faced not only risking $/time but also the "first time" experience. There's no second chance at that.

I'll probably enjoy either, it's the wife that's harder to predict. And since she tends to go where I go, and vice versa, this could have an effect on our silver years moving forward. So.... hope I guess right, and that's why I post, to try to receive more wisdom.

Finally, it's my (mis?)understanding that on X suites above Aqua in $$$ have access to BLU, as a replacement to the MDR, and that this equals a specialty dining room. Is this correct, or is there then a charge incurred? Currently X seems to offer drinks packages and gratuities as benefits for timely booking, so that "nickel 'n dime" is somewhat mitigated.

Mahalo, PelicanLvr;

"It comes down to what do you want? A large suite on a lesser quality ship or a smaller room on a high quality luxury ship? IMHO they are very difficult to compare."

That's the nub: It's, IMHO, even harder to choose between with no prior experience. I'm an empiricist, and I rarely rely on received wisdom, other that situations like this. With this choice I am faced not only risking $/time but also the "first time" experience. There's no second chance at that.

I'll probably enjoy either, it's the wife that's harder to predict. And since she tends to go where I go, and vice versa, this could have an effect on our silver years moving forward. So.... hope I guess right, and that's why I post, to try to receive more wisdom.

Finally, it's my (mis?)understanding that on X suites above Aqua in $$$ have access to BLU, as a replacement to the MDR, and that this equals a specialty dining room. Is this correct, or is there then a charge incurred? Currently X seems to offer drinks packages and gratuities as benefits for timely booking, so that "nickel 'n dime" is somewhat mitigated.

Yes, you can access Blu as a suite guest on a space available basis. BUT I believe the beverage packge expires at midnight EST TONIGHT--so you have about 2 hours to make up your mind! However if you are before final payment you can still cancel without penalty so maybe you should snag your preferred Celebrity cruise and then figure it out.

I agree that the two experiences are vastly different. The Silversea et al cruises will be pretty sedate with an emphasis on luxury and included beverages. I think an S1 or a CS would be a great option esp. with the beverage package thrown in. We just really enjoy being out n' about on the ship and spend very little time in our room so anything other than a veranda is wasted on us. . .but hurry!!!!

Mahalo, PelicanLvr;

We were in a Celebrity Suite on the Equinox transatlantic voyage last November. The space is fantastic and very roomy. You do have 2 free perperson specialty restaurants included. Not a problem eating in Blu any night one opted to do so in a suite. Just show up. Less of a zoo than the Main dining room.

The closet space was to die for compared to the general space in the non-suites. Even a closet just for shoes. Great living room space to entertain another couple with a large table around the sectional couch for cocktails and dinner. Or even to take a nap on.

One night we opted for the butler to serve us dinner course by course from the dining room menu. That was enjoyable.

Bump to the premium drink card as the liquor and wine options are far better. Good luck.

We have been in a CS on the Equinox and Constellation and agree the space is awesome and the closet is to die for.

Just got off the Infinity in a CS and it is set up a bit different. We had a table for 4 and one closet with a vanity inside. The balcony didn't have a lounger, just 2 chairs and a table.

Now I'm confused!

S2's can eat in Blu on an availability basis, right? S2 sky suites are just verandas that are 30% bigger. Is the closet bigger too?

I'm in an S2 for the first time on 4/5 on the Equinox

All suites may eat in Blu on an availability basis (including S2's). For breakfast I have never heard of a suite guest being denied entry; dinner is hit-or-miss, though more-often-than-not suite guests are accommodated. S2's come with all the suite perks listed on Celebrity's website, but the layout of the stateroom and balcony resembles a typical balcony room that is merely wider. It is not a true suite in the sense of multiple rooms. There is lots of closet space (even more than the S1's) and the bathroom is larger and nicer than a non-suite's bathroom (there is a bathtub provided it is not an accessible suite).

Archived