White Pass Railway

csaeroach

So if you take the shorter trip, do you get some time at the pass before boarding a return train or does the train you rode up on just turn around and head back down? I've got a little history with the Red Onion and am hoping to get back after 27 years!

I'm pretty sure the princess list of excursions shows a 20 minute turnaround time...

If you do the shorter round trip, they do not let you get off the train. Usually they ask people to switch seats so that others get the different view. Technically the train goes a few yards into Canada and since they don't check passports everyone gets to stay on the train as if they didn't leave the USA.

So if you take the shorter trip, do you get some time at the pass before boarding a return train or does the train you rode up on just turn around and head back down? I've got a little history with the Red Onion and am hoping to get back after 27 years!

With the short ride to the summit you only enter into British Columbia a few yards and you are no longer allowed off the train (this did not use to be the case) and that is why a passport is not required for this particular junket. So, yes, you just flip your seats, change sides with your fellow pax and head back down the hill.

The ship offers a tour - train and bus back. Is this better than just train.

Which side of the train is best when going? Which side of the bus is best when going back?

Left side up on the train and left side down on the bus for the best views.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have done it.

I would have to say it is a pretty amazing experience, but if you are going with a large family it might be better to go with a car or bus tour... I have a large family and have saved TONS of money by booking cars when I can and staying away from the "Main Attractions" I have done the train and the road, and for my $ I would choose driving the white pass up into the Yukon for less money, seeing more, in the same amount of time. With the money you save take a helicopter trip!

• 1 month later...

We did this using an independent tour operator, Dyea Dave. You can google him and find his website. Depending on how long you are in port will depend on how far you can travel.

We were able to go up to Emerald Lake and then return on the train. Dave waited until the day of arrival to see what the weather was doing. If it was clear we would have ridden the train up and driven back. Be sure to take your passport with you.

This was an awesome day, would do it again on our upcoming sailing, but want to see the town this time.

I'd love to wait until arriving in Skagway to get train tickets and forgo the trip if it's really foggy but ... does the train sell out? That would be a bummer - a beautiful day and me not on the train.

Yes, there is some risk in the trains selling out. However, the railway has a lot of rolling stock and does hold back seats for people visiting via cars, RVs, Ferry pax and even walk up cruise ship pax.

I'd love to wait until arriving in Skagway to get train tickets and forgo the trip if it's really foggy but ... does the train sell out? That would be a bummer - a beautiful day and me not on the train.

yes, you can get tickets downtown at the train station. but the prime seats will be taken by ship passengers who already have a reservation for the trip. they will not let you get on and pay right on the dock. at least the last time I was in Skagway they did not. but I agree that weather is a factor as too how the trip will turn out.

We went in June 2009 and loved the trip. The weather was great and there was still snow as we got higher up. We went again last year with a larger group and pre-booked the steam excursion directly with the depot. It was a lot cheaper. Unfortunately, it was rainy and foggy and the trip was disappointing. It didn't get any better later in the day so an afternoon trip wouldn't have helped.

Archived