Is snorkeling in HI a must do if can snorkel in Caribbean? PoA

uncletr21

Some of the snorkel trips reference choppy water and we are prone to sea sickness on small ships. I there any spot that just has to be snorkeled if you are in Hawaii (on PoA)?

I'm tempted to skip it b/c we can snorkel on caribbean trips out of FL and only sometimes snorkel. We are wimps about cold water too and anything under 85 degrees is getting cold..........

We also had great luck on Alaska cruise getting very close to whales and seeing many of them so I was thinking we might steer clear of any whale watching activites too as I think they might pale by comparison.

No need to go on a boat to snorkel in Hawaii. There are many good snorkel spots from beaches. Black Rock at Kaanapali Beach in Maui and Two-step near the Place of Refuge among other spots come to mind in Kona.

Here is a good snorkeling guide for the Hawaiian Islands. There are places to rent snorkel gear all around the islands. I'm sure others on this board can help with that. We bring our own.

I love Caribbean snorkeling. But the fish in Hawaii are different. I would not want to visit the islands without snorkeling at all! Have a great cruise.:)

I have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and have never seen a sea turtle while snorkeling. It was my dream to do so and on three of our four snorkel trips in Hawaii I was able to snorkel with sea turtles. They also mave many fish in Hawaii that they do not have in the Caribbean as well.

From what I've read, you should plan to experience snorkeling in Hawaii as well since the underwater life is different thatn in the Caribbean. Some of the Hawaiian locations are said to be among the best in the world. There are several snorkel opportunities that don't require a boat ride at all and others that you can choose a calm catamaran experience or a more adventurous Zodiac or the like. You can absolutely customize your experience.

We've decided to do a combination of each of the types of snorkel opportunities to get a taste of all the experiences. Whatever you decide, enjoy your adventure!

No need to go on a boat to snorkel in Hawaii. There are many good snorkel spots from beaches. Black Rock at Kaanapali Beach in Maui and Two-step near the Place of Refuge among other spots come to mind in Kona.

Here is a good snorkeling guide for the Hawaiian Islands. There are places to rent snorkel gear all around the islands. I'm sure others on this board can help with that. We bring our own.

I love Caribbean snorkeling. But the fish in Hawaii are different. I would not want to visit the islands without snorkeling at all! Have a great cruise.:)

Thanks for the info!

Some of the snorkel trips reference choppy water and we are prone to sea sickness on small ships. I there any spot that just has to be snorkeled if you are in Hawaii (on PoA)?

I'm tempted to skip it b/c we can snorkel on caribbean trips out of FL and only sometimes snorkel. We are wimps about cold water too and anything under 85 degrees is getting cold..........

We also had great luck on Alaska cruise getting very close to whales and seeing many of them so I was thinking we might steer clear of any whale watching activites too as I think they might pale by comparison.

you have a few misguided assumptions- by far, snorkeling is WAY superior in Hawaii compared to anywhere in the Caribbean. (I am a long time experienced snorkeler multiple trips to both locations for close to 20 years.)

Out of Kona is an easy drive up, jump in area I always hit- 2 step, I also kayak to the Cpt Cook Mon, since I add a week on Big Island.

You've found out, the whales are in Alaska- but by no means does any Hawaii whale watching "Pale" in comparism to Alaska. Some significant positives- 1/4 the Alaska tour costs- and you don't even need whale watches- you can see them EVERY day, right from the shore- always have a good pair of binculars. I spend three weeks in Hawaii every Feb.

Walmart has a good assortment of snorkel gear in Hawaii, I would never consider renting. :)

Not only are the fish "different" in Hawaii, but significant is the health reefs, full of life- unlike a lot of the Caribbean. Pretty easy to see sea turtles as well.

Snorkeling in Hawaii is different than in the Caribbean. There is a lot less soft coral and fans, but a lot of great hard coral, of all shapes and colors. If you enjoy snorkeling, yes, you should snorkel in Hawaii. I can assure you you will see fish that do not exist in the Caribbean, and chances are, you will see green turtles, perhaps spotted ells and maybe even rays and octopus. It depends on how far out you wish to swim, and how confident you are in you abilities.

Archived