Planning our day in Rome

2bug

Hello there!

I am planning all our port stops on our cruise with Liberty of the Seas in April 2013. I need some help on the timings. Especially with having to book tickets in advance in Rome.

We are 2 adults and 2 kids (7 + 10) / Liberty of the Seas, arriving in Civitavecchia Monday, 22nd April

We have decided to stick to the Vatican. We have never been to Rome but living in Switzerland means we could get there pretty easily if we want to go back to see the rest sometime.

We will be there on a Monday. I’ve read that to be one of the busiest days.

What do you think … will this work? Or should we aim for an earlier train?

7am Liberty docks in Civitavecchia

(what time are passengers allowed to get off?)

8am leave ship

8.41am train leaves Civitavecchia (BIRG Ticket for all of us)

9.23am train gets into Roma S.Pietro

walk to Vatican approx. 15 minutes

Visit St. Peter’s Basilica and if there are only short lines use lift and climb stairs to the cupola

12am entry Tickets for the Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel

3pm start walking back to trainstation Roma S. Pietro

3.32pm train departure to Civitavecchia

4.20pm train gets into Civitavecchia

Back to boat with Gelatos on the way

7pm Liberty leaves Civitavecchia

Before going into the Vatican Museum we will try and grab a pizza somewhere ... any ideas without having to walk too far?

This to me sounds do-able with the kids without all of us getting too tired. But then … I have never been and would appreciate some input from you guys who have been and done it :o

Sorry for the loooong post. I’ll be glad when I’ve got it all organized!

greetings from Switzerland

2bug

I would say your plan looks pretty good. If you do manage to get off the ship earlier than 8, you might be able to grab one of the earlier trains and give yourself some extra time. You will need to keep an eye on your time inside the Vatican Museums (prebook your tickets to avoid the lines) and be prepared to skip the remainder of the museum and take the direct route to the Sistine by 2:15.

Since you are seeing St. Peter's first, you will find some cafes and pizza places on the street as you walk up and around to the entrance of the Vatican museum.

I did the same itinerary in 2010, but I purchased the tickets online. In April, the lines should be not be anything like the lines in the summer. Do the Vatican Museum first then the Sistine Chapel and there should be an entrance to St. Peter's right after the Sistine Chapel as I recall. Check with Rick Steve's guidebook for Rome for details.

If you are planning to purchase a tour of the museums (rather than just the entry ticket), I'd get one that includes the basilica so you can avoid backtracking. Sometimes you can use the "back door" exit when not part of a group, but sometimes the guards will stop you. The only sure way is a Vatican tour that includes the basilica.

Therefore, I agree with the previous poster, I'd start with the museums. This way you only go through security once (with your original plan you'd wait in line for security twice, first at the basilica and then at the museums).

Archived