Loyalty Programs + Destinations + Perks - which is best?

absmiff

Hi - I've recently booked my first cruise and have been reading a lot about cruise lines, regarding loyalty programs and perks. I know this cruise won't be our last cruise, but I would like to make subsequent cruises, if possible, count towards one company's loyalty program.

The most important thing, to me, are varied destinations of cruises around the world. Norwegian, Princess, and Holland America seem to have the best overall mix of destinations for my husband and me. The next most important factor is cost. More bang for our buck is definitely preferred!

With loyalty programs, we would want to be able to receive discounts or onboard credits relatively quickly, the possibilities of free upgrades, and free and/or discounted drinks while on board (eventually). Complementary laundry, internet, or free items in our rooms aren't really factors in our consideration.

Based on our preferences, does anyone have an opinions about which would be better (and easier/faster) to build up rewards points for? Are there any perks that I am forgetting to take into consideration.

Just thinking about it is overwhelming. Any and all suggestions and advice is very much appreciated! I want to make sure I consider everything before we look at booking the next cruise(s).

If you go to each lines website, you should be able to access their loyalty program.

We sail HAL and are now starting to move up the ranks so to speak. We get points by using their credit card, double points by booking a deluxe suite, extra points for what we spend on board in the shops (I spend a good deal on jewelry).

The discounts are nice - but don't save us a ton of money. And the lines tend to revamp their programs every few years.

So, find the cruiseline you like the best and then just figure their loyalty program as a little gift.

Norwegian is fast if you play the game

You get 1 point per night for a cruise but if you book a suite you get double or book it 9 months before you go double, so 7 nights in a suite booked 9 months before is 21 - they also do latitude member offers and if you pick one of those you also get another 7 - so 7 nights can be 28 points. Platinum gives you a free meal in a specialty and a free bottle of wine and that is for each member so a couple that are platinum get 2 free meals and bottle and invite to a special drinks reception. Once platinum you also get access to a concierge no matter what cabin type you book

Celebrity you get the top status Elite at 10 points. 1 point for a cruise, 2 for over 12 nights. An extra for booking a concierge balcony and above and sometimes the offer on these if less than a standard balcony so 3 per cruise can be had. Elite gives you a free drinks reception every evening and being elite on celebrity auto makes you diamond on RCCL and vice versa - so sail a first cruise then on RCCL and those ships with a diamond lounge means free drinks every evening for a set time.

They all come with other perks too but you said you were mostly interested in these.

We are diamond on RCCL, Elite on celebrity and platinum on NCL and none of them have given us an upgrade. We took our parents on their first cruise and they got the upgrade - trying to impress new people to come back we guessed.

HAL's program:

Benefits Overview

When you embark upon an enchanting journey with Holland America Line, you’re more than just our honored guest. You also become a member of our exclusive Mariner Society, just one more way for us to show we’re delighted to have you aboard. Each day you cruise with us, you’ll earn Cruise Day credits that entitle you to special gifts and invitations to exclusive onboard events. Plus, you’ll earn additional Cruise Day credits just for doing all the things you look forward to while at sea. Like enjoying a gourmet dinner in any of our intimate specialty restaurants, indulging in a relaxing massage at the Greenhouse Spa & Salon or booking shore excursions. As you collect more Cruise Day credits, you’ll move up to higher Star levels and earn even greater rewards on future cruises. Because the only thing more exciting than seeing the world with Holland America Line is planning your next voyage with us..

1starMariner.gifStar Mariner

Every guest that joins us for any Holland America Line cruise returns as a Star Mariner. It’s our way of saying Welcome Back, and you’ll start feeling the special treatment as soon as you come aboard. Star Mariners receive:

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A special collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A free subscription to the print or digital** version of Mariner magazine
  • Offers to special sailings hosted by a representative of the Mariner Society
  • Special offers on select sailings
  • A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings

2starMariner.gif2-Star Mariner

Collect 30 Cruise Day credits and you’ll be elevated to a 2-Star Mariner, which entitles you to:

• Welcome Back Embarkation Lunch in the dining room (from 12:00pm to 1:30pm) as well as a complimentary Mariner Champagne Brunch
  • A collectible gift presented to you on board
  • A complimentary photo of the ship
  • A 10% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard signature shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • A 15% discount on merchandise from www.shophollandamerica.com
  • An annual cruise planner
  • A 50% cruise fare discount on the 3rd/4th guest staying in your stateroom on select sailings
  • A special recognition lapel pin

3starMariner.gif3-Star Mariner

When you collect 75 Cruise Day credits you become a 3-Star Mariner, which means you’ll receive:

• A 25% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages*, beverages in the Explorations Café* and all mini-bar purchases*
  • A 10% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • Discounts on select treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon
  • Advance information on new itineraries**
  • A waiver of air deviation fees*

4starMariner.gif4-Star Mariner

Collect 200 or more Cruise Day credits and become a 4-Star Mariner, which entitles you to the following benefits:

• Complimentary laundry and pressing services*
  • Priority disembarkation*
  • Priority tender*
  • Priority check-in*
  • A 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages*, beverages in the Explorations Café* and all mini-bar purchases*
  • A complimentary wine tasting session
  • A 15% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • Discounts on select spa treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon
  • Early notification of shore excursions available for prebooking**
  • A complimentary one-year subscription to Travel + Leisure or Food & Wine magazine (one per household)
  • Advance notice of new itineraries**
  • Waiver of air deviation fees*
  • Complimentary cruise fare on 3rd/4th guest in your stateroom on select sailings

5starMariner.gif5-Star Mariner

Guests who collect 500 or more Cruise Day credits join our elite group of 5-Star Mariners. These premier travelers will receive all the following benefits:

• 50% discount on a 100-minute Internet package (one time only per cruise)
  • Two complimentary dinners in the Pinnacle Grill (free surcharge only)
  • Complimentary Culinary Arts Center cooking class (1 per cruise)
  • Complimentary laundry and pressing services*
  • Priority disembarkation*
  • Priority tender*
  • Priority check-in*
  • A 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges, wine packages*, beverages in the Explorations Café* and all mini-bar purchases*
  • A complimentary wine tasting session
  • A 15% discount on Holland America Line logo clothing sold in onboard shops (may exclude already discounted merchandise)
  • A 15% discount on merchandise from http://www.shophollandamerica.com
  • Discounts on select spa treatments from the Greenhouse Spa & Salon
  • Complimentary day pass to the Greenhouse Spa & Salon Thermal Suite (1 per cruise)* Not available on ms Prinsendam, guest will receive additional Pinnacle Dinner
  • Early notification of shore excursions available for prebooking**
  • A complimentary one-year subscription to Travel + Leisure or Food & Wine magazine (one per household)
  • Advance notice of new itineraries**
  • Waiver of air deviation fees*
  • Complimentary cruise fare on 3rd/4th guest in your stateroom on select sailings

**Email address required.

Earn Bonus Cruise Day Credits

In addition to earning Cruise Day credits for each actual day sailed, there are also easy ways you can earn bonus Cruise Day credits. The more Cruise Day credits you collect, the faster you increase your Mariner Star status, and the more exciting rewards you’ll receive.

• Suite Bonus when you pay a published fare for a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise. For example, a guest who pays published fare for suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 cruise day credits.
  • Onboard Spending Bonus Earn one bonus cruise day credit for each $300 in eligible onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus*.
  • Guests can earn bonus days for cruises beginning September 18, 2009 in accordance with the Program Launch Schedule.

Terms and Conditions: Holland America Line's Mariner Society Rewards Program (the "Program") is operated by Holland America Line ("HAL"). HAL reserves the right to modify or terminate the Program, or to change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice. Membership may be terminated at HAL's sole discretion for anyone appearing to be utilizing the Program in a manner inconsistent with its terms, conditions or intent. To qualify as a member of the Program, you must have taken at least one qualifying HAL cruise or have sailed with one of the World’s Leading Cruise Lines: Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn or Costa Cruises. These guests are automatically enrolled as a Star Mariner when they make their first booking with Holland America Line because of their affiliation with the World’s Leading Cruise Lines. Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual; Cruise Day credits are awarded for eligible cruise days and qualified onboard purchases (net of returns), and bonuses when available. Subsequent Star levels are calculated on qualifying days and onboard spending on Holland America Line ships only. Holland America Line guests are eligible for Two-Star Mariner membership after 30 Cruise Day credits; Three-Star after 75 Cruise Day credits; Four-Star after 200 Cruise Day credits; Five-Star after 500 Cruise Day credits. Qualifying cruises exclude certain reduced cruise fares (i.e., Employee, vendor rates, etc.) and other cruises as designated by HAL at its sole discretion. All questions or disputes regarding the eligibility for the Program or provision of benefits will be resolved by HAL at its sole discretion. HAL will not be liable for refunds or for damages resulting from failure to deliver any of the Program benefits. Each Program member shall be responsible for advising the Mariner Society of contact information changes, and HAL shall have no liability for misdirected mail, or any consequences thereof. Other terms and conditions apply. Offer void where prohibited by law.

As you can see, everyone has different opinions. We like Princess because they let us combine all kinds of OBCs. We also like Celebrity and Oceania. RC will count your celebrity cruises towards their Diamond status.

~Doris~

Regarding RCI, no they don't. Celebrity and RCI recognize each others status, but you do not receive the sail days credit.

As you can see, everyone has different opinions. We like Princess because they let us combine all kinds of OBCs. We also like Celebrity and Oceania. RC will count your celebrity cruises towards their Diamond status.

~Doris~

I know everyone would have their own opinions and preference, but it's nice to hear from people who have experienced multiple ones and their opinions with what they personally like. I appreciate all the opinions - it helps me as I'm doing my research for the future, in case I don't understand specifics on websites.

One of the ways to get nice perks is to take Celebrity cruises 12 nights or longer in a Concierge, Aqua or suite stateroom. You will get 3 points. One for the cruise, one for 12 nights or more and one for the upgraded stateroom. 10 points is Elite with X and also gives you Diamond on Royal. Elite and Diamond have free happy hours on board. Diamond members sailing on Royal Caribbean get very nice balcony discounts. So these levels can be reached by 4 cruises on Celebrity.

As explained before - you do not get to combine points from Celebrity and Royal - it is a matching level for the Captains Club and Crown and Anchor once you have reached the 'middle' level of frequent cruiser status.

I like the Celebrity system but I'm betting it gets changed soon as I think I read it is under review. I like that I get an extra point for booking CC class. It's another perk that makes paying more for CC a little nicer.

Princess seems much harder to me to move up the levels. We have more points and Princess but less status than with X.

I think you should pick your cruise line first, then you'll automatically become loyal.

My first cruise was on Carnival. It was inexpensive. I had a blast and it totally sold me on cruise vacation. My addiction had begun!!

I took five more cruises on Carnival. You know...if it ain't broke...

Then I tried a Royal Caribbean cruise and was shocked to discover I liked it a LOT better. I have to admit to having been one of those cruisers who ARGUES that her choice is the BEST choice, without ever having experienced the alternatives!! (blushing with embarrassment...)

I wish I'd tried Royal sooner. I'd be significantly further along in Royal's loyalty program. Which...by the way...is (or at least was, I haven't compared lately) MUCH better than Carnival's.

So my advice is to read up on the various lines and zero in on the ones you determine sound most like YOU. Then try them out and determine which one is REALLY for YOU. Maybe you'll decide you like a couple of them and you'll end up earning loyalty perks on both! Don't choose your cruise line in order to earn a future upgrade or a lapel pin. None of the loyalty programs are worth locking yourself into an experience that isn't the best it can be.

PS: I don't know your ages, but tastes also change. As you get older, you may end up determining the line you've been loyal to for years, no longer meets your needs!

Archived