New to Seabourn questions

wills47

Despite a less than great introduction to cruising, I am considering trying it again with Seabourn. I am presented with a favorable cruise package for a St. Thomas 7 day return to St. Thomas cruise. Would the ever helpful CC forum readers be so kind as to answer what may be silly questions, but those after reading as many posts on the Legend as I can, I am still not clear on? Many thanks!

Are there any "bad" cabins on the Legend?

What are the times for breakfast? When does it "shut down"?

How much motion would you feel on this ship, assuming you had a cabin on a lower deck or just in general?

How are the port stops organized? Do you generally disembark via a gangway or do you usually have to use a boat to get to the port? (These ports are St. Martin, St. Barts, Guadeloupe, Prickly Pear and St. Kitts). Is it time consuming? Any hints on avoiding crowds?

Which ports would you have an excursion pre-arranged?

Does one have to reserve for any restaurants? If so is it a ASAP situation? What are the dinner hours?

Our family really needs some R&R, so we are looking for a relaxing vacation, but I am just not sure cruising is the answer. We tend to be late risers on vacation and just like quiet beach and pool times. The "marina" back of the boat thing that Seabourn does sounds great, and on one or two of the days we would do excursions, port dependent, but generally we would prefer easy beach days. Does this sound compatible with Seabourn and this cruise?

The other thing is I really despise crowds. I am intrigued by the Legend since it is a small ship, but it's a small ship! Any comments on this would also be much appreciated.

Thanks!

On the Legend and its 'little sisters' the pool is in a horrid place and very small. I would not pick this ship for 'pool time'. The disembarkation is quick, there are no crowds. The need for tendering is on the itinerary. I would never book an excursion through Seabourn. Way too expensive. And don't count on the marina other than on the Prickly Pear Day, when it isn't open, but the equipment is available on the beach. That day is a lot of fun. YOu can check the Ports of Call Forum for things to do at each port.

It sounds negative, but for me, I would sign up in a heartbeat. That being said I am sailing alone and never get off the ship, having done it so many times. And don't miss the Galley Market Lunch if there is one.

There are no bad suites in my opinion.Just remember the 'balconies' are merely Juliette style, will open and there is about 12" on which to stare out. Those without the 'balcony' have a window seat and large window. One is so close to the open deck, it may make no sense to pay extra for merely a sliding door.

And Pam is right, if you have small children this might not be the best ship.

And it's a lovely day here in Old City.

Quote: Despite a less than great introduction to cruising, I am considering trying it again with Seabourn. I am presented with a favorable cruise package for a St. Thomas 7 day return to St. Thomas cruise. Would the ever helpful CC forum readers be so kind as to answer what may be silly questions, but those after reading as many posts on the Legend as I can, I am still not clear on? Many thanks!

Are there any "bad" cabins on the Legend? I've sailed in a balcony as well as window cabin... loved them both. I would not hesitate to sail in any cabin on the Legend.

What are the times for breakfast? When does it "shut down"? I don't remember the times, but you can order room service any time of day and get anything you want.

How much motion would you feel on this ship, assuming you had a cabin on a lower deck or just in general? All depends on the seas... we've sailed high and low, very little motion in calm seas, however during a storm we rocked quite a bit.

How are the port stops organized? Do you generally disembark via a gangway or do you usually have to use a boat to get to the port? (These ports are St. Martin, St. Barts, Guadeloupe, Prickly Pear and St. Kitts). Is it time consuming? Any hints on avoiding crowds? This is the reason you need to sail Seaborn... You don't need to worry about crowds. Disembarking may take up to 1 minute if there is a long line. As for tenders, they run every few minutes or so.

Which ports would you have an excursion pre-arranged? You need to decide that one!

Does one have to reserve for any restaurants? If so is it a ASAP situation? What are the dinner hours? I believe you can check hours online, I don't remember exactly. No reservations needed for the main restaurant, you dine when you like. No assigned tables. Restaurant 2 does require reservations, and eating out on the deck is fabulous!

Our family really needs some R&R, so we are looking for a relaxing vacation, but I am just not sure cruising is the answer. We tend to be late risers on vacation and just like quiet beach and pool times. The "marina" back of the boat thing that Seabourn does sounds great, and on one or two of the days we would do excursions, port dependent, but generally we would prefer easy beach days. Does this sound compatible with Seabourn and this cruise? Absoutely...

The other thing is I really despise crowds. I am intrigued by the Legend since it is a small ship, but it's a small ship! Any comments on this would also be much appreciated. I personally adore the small ship. Here is my review of the Spirit, a twin to the Legend (lots of photos). What are your "small ship" concerns? We brought our teenage children and they are asking when we will return. The Caribbean is a possibility for us this December.

Thanks!

Our family really needs some R&R, so we are looking for a relaxing vacation, but I am just not sure cruising is the answer. We tend to be late risers on vacation and just like quiet beach and pool times. The "marina" back of the boat thing that Seabourn does sounds great, and on one or two of the days we would do excursions, port dependent, but generally we would prefer easy beach days. Does this sound compatible with Seabourn and this cruise?

We recently had our first cruise on Seabourn, but on one of the bigger ships, the Quest.

The small pool area has always been a dealbreaker for us for the little sisters. On the bigger ships the pool deck is very attractive, plus there's a very small pool on Deck 5 aft.

As for the marina - :mad:. The USP for us with SB was the marina.

However, during our 18 day Caribbean cruise it was never used. I was so disappointed. I'd read all the posts here and knew that it wasn't always used on 7 day cruises, and it was only likely to be used one time anyway, but I was sure it would be used on ours.

I don't know if this only applies to the larger ships.

Perhaps on the little sisters they always use the marina at least one time during each cruise. Perhaps someone else can come in and clarify this?

Breakfast time suited us fine, and we too tend to be late risers on holiday. You can always arrange to have your breakfast in suite if you don't feel like getting up and dressed anyway :)

I also would ask how old your children are, as pointed out earlier, SB just doesn't gear it's activity or onboard facilites towards youngsters.

Thanks so much for the replies!

My children are 18 and 15, not to worry. Not loud, well travelled etc.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I am looking at Seabourn. We are in that grey area where my 15 year old is not allowed at adults only resorts, yet we really crave quiet luxury and zero crowds. Another year and it won't be an issue.

I completely understand the aversion to children while on a much needed vacation.

I like the ports on this cruise and Seabourn sounds perfect for our family. Any hints or advice is much appreciated. My last cruise had good things, but the structure made me miserable, hence my questions.

Many thanks!

The main issue for teenagers is not that they can be disruptive in the way that young children can be ... in my experience they are not .... but that they find the Seabourn experience boring. That is more an issue for their parents than for the other passengers.

Hopefully, there will be some other teens who are also on that cruise. When we were on Quest there were a number of teens. They tended to hang out together and seemed to get on very well while avoiding us boring oldies. An arrangement which worked out for everyone.

Seabourn is perfect for R&R, there is 'enough' to do, even on sea days, but somehow less pressure to participate in frenetic activities than the big ships / floating resorts. You do feel that you are on a ship, not in a moving town. As everything (just about) is included there is no pressure to sell you extras (so, no drinks in fancy glasses or 'inch of gold' promotions). It sounds as if your kids are the 'civilised' sort, and as long as they are not expecting teen-orientated activities to be provided for them I'm sure they will, along with their parents, love the experience.

I haven't been on one of the 'little sisters', as the three smaller, older and about to be sold-off ships are known, but loved our time on the Quest, and can't wait to get back on board in October.

Dream of Maui pretty much answered all of your questions. I just have to add the advise to book an excursion in St. Kitts either with Seabourn or on your own. We were at port with at least 3 mega ships so the port alone was very crowded. Not to mention that the moment you pass security you will be agressively solicited by tour operaters and taxi drivers and locals with monkies on their shoulders.

Another option for your family, if the marina is what attracted you to Seabourn, is Seadream. Personally I prefer Seabourn, however Seadream opens their marina everyday (weather permitting) and they offer more water toys. It's not an easy choice, but it sure is fun choosing and planning.

Thank you so much for the replies!

I really appreciate the information on St. Kitts as well. One of the things that I learned from my first cruise is to "have all your ducks in a row" for port days, since you can waste so much time otherwise. I have been looking at the port boards and I have a lot of notes on recommended excursions from there, but it's always nice to have first hand recommendations.

Of the bunch, which ones would you recommend for lazy beach days and which ones are better for active excursions-not to miss type opportunities. All opinions welcome!

Thanks again.

My kids were 13 and 16, they were never bored, but then the "big ship"was not appealing to them. We were off the ship every day, back in the afternoon for some relaxing and then off to dinner. My son enjoyed the gym as well. They are hooked on Seabourn! :)

Just my two cents worth; my first Seabourn cruise was on the Legend. I had a standard Seabourn suite, as far forward as you can get (right next to the classic cabin on deck five). It was on the starboard side of the ship. Every time they raised or lowered the anchor, you could hear every link. Just FYI. That being said, I would sail anywhere with Seabourn, even if that was the only cabin available. And since I've just heard they sold the triplets, you'd better believe I'm plotting to get back on one of them. *wink*

Jane

Another idea. When you board go straight to the Pursers' Office and see if there will be a 'Shopping with the Chef' at one of the ports. Then sign up immediately. They are great fun. Should be some seafood buys. Also, with a day or so notice, the chef will prepare a special dinner for your family. Check with the Maitre d'. There is a thread that discusses favorite foods on Seabourn.

I've just noticed you list Guadeloupe as one of your ports. If it's actually Terre-de-Haut, and not the main island, we visited this port on our cruise at Christmas. It had been very difficult to get much information about the island, and it was a pleasant surprise. It's very charming, with a strong French feel, some lovely restaurants, and there's a good beach about 10 minutes walk from the pier. This is the unspoilt Caribbean and it's gorgeous.

I'd go on the Legend even with her small pool, just to revisit this port as I fell in love with it.:D

You will use the tenders at this port, and at St Bart's. I haven't been to the other ports. The tenders are very efficiently run, as others have said, it's unlikely that you'll wait around for more than a few minutes. If you go onto the Seabourn website and find your cruise, the itinerary is listed and if the port has a little TR symbol next to it, that's a tender port.

My two cents based on my experience during a late spring Mediterranean cruise on the Sojourn.

Ship had 430 passengers of which 17 were under the age of 18. I don't know how important it is for your children to have peers to socialize with.

I am generally not affected by seasickness, but the Sojourn was rocked around a lot, especially considering the weather was quite nice. There was a light drizzle one day, otherwise sunny every day. I can't imagine how things would be in heavy seas during a storm.

The marina was never used, there was no caviar in the surf, the massage moments on deck only took place during the excursions. There are many things highlighted in the brochures and website that don't actually happen on most cruises. If these signature moments are part of what attracted you to Seabourn, you should confirm if they will actually take place during your cruise.

Based on what you said, it sounds like you will be amongst the most active passengers on board. Using Seabourn as a floating hotel that takes you to your various excursions and beach days sounds like great fun. You'll enjoy the food as well. What I am not so sure of is how important on board entertainment is to you, especially in the evening before and after dinner? The entertainment is really limited to talking to your fellow passengers in the bars and lounge singers. The ship felt very, very small at the end of the week. Drinking is a major component of this all-inclusive vacation. Not sure what your children will do.

Not sure Seabourn is the perfect fit for your situation.

Unfortunately. the smaller ships do not (to my knowledge) have the upgraded video/tv systems. There is a library with may DVD's however. Might want to consider bringing some of your own from a library or other source. The reading library is usually very good as well. But that might not be the answer for evening fun.

My two cents based on my experience during a late spring Mediterranean cruise on the Sojourn.

Ship had 430 passengers of which 17 were under the age of 18. I don't know how important it is for your children to have peers to socialize with.

I am generally not affected by seasickness, but the Sojourn was rocked around a lot, especially considering the weather was quite nice. There was a light drizzle one day, otherwise sunny every day. I can't imagine how things would be in heavy seas during a storm.

The marina was never used, there was no caviar in the surf, the massage moments on deck only took place during the excursions. There are many things highlighted in the brochures and website that don't actually happen on most cruises. If these signature moments are part of what attracted you to Seabourn, you should confirm if they will actually take place during your cruise.

Based on what you said, it sounds like you will be amongst the most active passengers on board. Using Seabourn as a floating hotel that takes you to your various excursions and beach days sounds like great fun. You'll enjoy the food as well. What I am not so sure of is how important on board entertainment is to you, especially in the evening before and after dinner? The entertainment is really limited to talking to your fellow passengers in the bars and lounge singers. The ship felt very, very small at the end of the week. Drinking is a major component of this all-inclusive vacation. Not sure what your children will do.

Not sure Seabourn is the perfect fit for your situation.

While on the 18 day Holiday cruise in the Caribbean, the Quest organized 2 beach days. Both days all "toys" were available. During the first beach day, a full bar at the beach was set up, staff walked around offering cocktails and drinks plus boxed lunches were offered - but the ship was so close you could easily go back to the boat, have lunch and go back to the beach. The second beach day was held at Half Moon Cay. We enjoyed a full bbq lunch, (and not just hot dogs and hamburgers. There was a full beach bar, frozen cocktails or drinks were served at your beach chair and again all the "water toys" were available. Highlight was the Caviar in the Surf. There was plenty caviar and champagne for all attending. I did not miss the Marina at all!

While on the 18 day Holiday cruise in the Caribbean, the Quest organized 2 beach days. Both days all "toys" were available. During the first beach day, a full bar at the beach was set up, staff walked around offering cocktails and drinks plus boxed lunches were offered - but the ship was so close you could easily go back to the boat, have lunch and go back to the beach. The second beach day was held at Half Moon Cay. We enjoyed a full bbq lunch, (and not just hot dogs and hamburgers. There was a full beach bar, frozen cocktails or drinks were served at your beach chair and again all the "water toys" were available. Highlight was the Caviar in the Surf. There was plenty caviar and champagne for all attending. I did not miss the Marina at all!

This sounds fantastic. I only wish they had done something like this on our cruise. We went to plenty of beach locales (even Ibiza, the Ft. Lauderdale of Europe), but no such luck. I would really confirm what is planned for your specific cruise so there are no disapointments.

In almost 300 days on Seabourn I have NEVER seen the marina used, so don't count on it. The "toys" were taken out and used from the beach one day, but that is the closest we have ever got to a "marina day".

In seven Seabourn cruises, I have seen the Marina deployed on three of them. They also had the toys out for caviar in the surf at Mayreu in the Grenadines.

Me too,I thought that we had a wonderful time.

Archived