Down size your DSLR & F1.4 Lens

truel1111

Do you enjoy carrying your DSLR D800, D600, Canon 7D, 5DMkIII, A99 and your favorite F/1.4 or F/2.0 lens on your excursion ?

I want to down size without giving up image quality significanly. I use 16-35mm most often for landscape.

Any suggestion ?

I downsized to a NEX-7 to cut the weight of the casual travel kit (not Alaska or other photo destination) and found the image quality not just acceptable but really remarkable. Even the kit zoom produces excellent images and the various primes available make it a heck of a little imager.

Here's a link to our Caribbean trip from last year. I took the DSLR and the NEX but ended up using the NEX and never unpacking the DSLR.

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/mariner2012

Dave

Another vote for the NEX line as a great 2nd body option for when you want to downsize or travel lighter without losing out on image quality. I have a NEX-5N that I use for when I need or want to travel lighter or less conspicuously - I still use my DSLR when traveling too, but I seem to typically run about 50/50 between the DSLR and the NEX, with the NEX getting a lot of work on crowded or slightly 'seedy' islands, and lots of on-ship occasions and excursions on shore where the smaller and lighter rig pays dividends. The most important factor is that I lose nothing for image quality compared to my DSLR - depending on the lens I choose. With a 35mm F1.8 on the NEX, I get a 50mm-equivalent fast focal length in a small, portable package.

I just hit the gym :D

These days when I'm out and about for fun its 14-24 on D600 and 24-120 on D4, if serious shooting 24-70 and 70-200 or 14-24 or 24-70.

You want big gun results you need big guns. Of course if all you do is share on flickr, facebook and others an iPhone works 99% of the time too.

Total agree with Pierces and Zackiedawg.

Have the Nex-7 and Nex-5N, switched from Nikon D7000. At my age 70, decided to get great pictures, downsize and eliminate the larger camera. The best for me.

Tom :cool:

These days when I'm out and about for fun its 14-24 on D600 and 24-120 on D4, if serious shooting 24-70 and 70-200 or 14-24 or 24-70.

You want big gun results you need big guns. Of course if all you do is share on flickr, facebook and others an iPhone works 99% of the time too.

Size matters, the bigger the better...;).

D3s 17-35/2.8 70-200/2.8vr 400/2.8-builds muscles many ways:p.

framer

Size matters, the bigger the better...;).

D3s 17-35/2.8 70-200/2.8vr 400/2.8-builds muscles many ways:p.

framer

Size isn't everything! Did you notice the lack of Freightliners at the Daytona 500 this weekend? They're big and powerful but sometimes you want something a little more nimble! :D

Seriously, the NEX-7 rates a score of 81 to the D700's 80 by DxOMark and the 24mm f/1.8 Zeiss e-mount (36mm equivalent) is sharper across the frame than the 35mm f/1.4G on an FX camera. (SLRGear.com). No compromise despite more than a kilo difference in weight.

There are situations like sports shooting where a larger camera handles better but for landscapes and travel, a few extra pounds of glass and metal left behind in favor of a quality compact sacrifices nothing.

Quality at any size doesn't come cheap, but modern technology at least gives us a choice without compromise.

Dave

Thanks for all the suggestions. What NEX lens do you use most ?

Believe it or not, I use the rather capable kit lens most of the time for casual/family stuff. For serious walkabout shooting, the little 30mm Sigma (unbelievable image quality at any price) is my go-to along with the 19mm Sigma for landscapes and interiors (shoots as sharp as the 30mm).

I wrote reviews on both the NEX-5 and NEX-7 here: http://pptphoto.com/articles/default.html

The NEX-7 review covers the two Sigma lenses.

Dave

The highest DXO all come from full frame, but moore's law has enable a lot of convenience in your pocket.

There are some things that moore can't cheat and that is area needed to collect photons...

It is true if one never blows up then 99% of all images can be capured pretty well without big bodies or glass. Just like 99% of all transportation can be met by something most of us wouldn't enjoy driving in either. How many people do I see in over engineered cars/SUVs etc. etc. :D

I understand you. Sometime I bring my biggest, longest and heaviest when I go shooting with my friends. Now I need something more practical.

Thanks for all the suggestions. What NEX lens do you use most ?

Like Dave, I find the kit lens quite useful and use it often, just because it makes for a light small package with very decent quality. I also use the 55-210mm lens fairly often, though that fills a specific type of shooting (birds and wildlife) when my DSLR and big heavy primes are just inconvenient or not possible to bring.

I also tend to get a lot of use out of my Hexanon 40mm F1.8 - good, tiny manual lens, excellent quality, fast for when it's needed, and reliable. My eMount 16mm lens gets lots of travel use, since I can use it with the attached ultrawide adapter for 12mm focal at a size no larger than the kit lens...great for architecture and closeup scenics. While I have 20+ lenses to use for my NEX, those 4 get by far the most use.

A couple of pocket-able options are the Sony RX100 with a larger than normal sensor for a point and shoot or the slightly larger (and much more expensive) RX1, with a full frame sensor. I have the RX100, which is now my always-with-me camera. With a fixed lens, f1.8, 5x zoom, it's not the answer for everything but it can do a lot. The RX1, is also a fixed lens, no zoom, (I don't have this one), but if you check out the images on dpreview, I think you'd be impressed.

How do you take photo under bright sun bright using LCD screen? I have a Panasonic LX3, I have a Delkin hood over the LCD screen, I find it hard to see the screen outdoor.

My NEX-7 (and the NEX-6) has an amazing electronic viewfinder built in and an accessory viewfinder with the same resolution is available for the NEX-5 series. I don't have the accessory viewfinder for my NEX-5 so when I'm out in the sun and it's too bright, I tilt the articulated LCD downward a bit so it shades itself. Never has a problem composing.

Dave

A couple of pocket-able options are the Sony RX100 with a larger than normal sensor for a point and shoot or the slightly larger (and much more expensive) RX1, with a full frame sensor. I have the RX100, which is now my always-with-me camera. With a fixed lens, f1.8, 5x zoom, it's not the answer for everything but it can do a lot. The RX1, is also a fixed lens, no zoom, (I don't have this one), but if you check out the images on dpreview, I think you'd be impressed.

Agree, and they do not have the dust on the sensor issue that is a big issue with interchangeable lenses.

Beyond the oil of the D600 changing lenses with good discipline and risk of dust is a minscule inconvenience for the ability to change from 14-24 to say 70-200 focal lengths. I'll take that anytime over a one lense limited focal length with no dust risk.

Agree, and they do not have the dust on the sensor issue that is a big issue with interchangeable lenses.

I have found that using a Black Rapid sling has about alleviated all of the issues with the bulk of a DSLR. While that does not make the camera any less susceptible to theft, anyone with a sizable investment in gear should consider insurance anyway.

Consider trying out a sling type strap. You may find it a cheaper and more acceptable alternative to selling all of your equipment and buying new stuff.

Funny thing though, our last cruise (last week) there were quite a few people with DSLRs - mostly entry level though. No one but me was using a Black Rapid style strap, which I thought kind of strange as on other cruises, there have always been a few folks with them.

If not for the sling type straps, I would probably have traded in at least my heavy/fast lenses long ago. Putting 5+ lbs on your neck is uncomfortable to say the least.

There are situations like sports shooting where a larger camera handles better but for landscapes and travel, a few extra pounds of glass and metal left behind in favor of a quality compact sacrifices nothing.

Dave

Well, other than great low light capability, phase-detection focus, and in-lens stabilization, things that the NEX-7 lacks. I don't keep up with NEX specs, but isn't the NEX-5R the only phase-detect focus NEX camera?

The D600 for instance - OK it is a Full Frame camera, but an affordable one for the masses, and fairly lightweight as far as full frame cameras go. It beats the pants off the NEX-7 with almost a 300% better low-light score in DxOMark.

While many times, differences in cameras are measurable rather than significant, a low light DxOMark difference of 300% equates to over 3 stops of low-light improvement.

Still, the NEX cameras, with their APS sized sensors are perhaps an alternative to entry-level DSLRs, they are no match for higher-end DSLRs.

And while we can agree that NEX cameras do fulfill a niche, so do the DSLRs. Each type has their advantages, and disadvantages, and cater to a different group of people. Lets just not make either type camera into something they are not.

I wish that instead of comparing DxOMark specs, and this-and-that, we should rather concentrate on what makes a good photo. Any camera in the hands of a good photographer can result in a good photo, and to me, the techniques of proper composition, exposure, etc. far outweigh one spec vs another.

I guess I want to say that let's not get caught up on specs at the risk of forgetting we have to know how to use the camera.

Well, other than great low light capability, phase-detection focus, and in-lens stabilization, things that the NEX-7 lacks. I don't keep up with NEX specs, but isn't the NEX-5R the only phase-detect focus NEX camera?

The D600 for instance - OK it is a Full Frame camera, but an affordable one for the masses, and fairly lightweight as far as full frame cameras go. It beats the pants off the NEX-7 with almost a 300% better low-light score in DxOMark.

While many times, differences in cameras are measurable rather than significant, a low light DxOMark difference of 300% equates to over 3 stops of low-light improvement.

Still, the NEX cameras, with their APS sized sensors are perhaps an alternative to entry-level DSLRs, they are no match for higher-end DSLRs.

And while we can agree that NEX cameras do fulfill a niche, so do the DSLRs. Each type has their advantages, and disadvantages, and cater to a different group of people. Lets just not make either type camera into something they are not.

I wish that instead of comparing DxOMark specs, and this-and-that, we should rather concentrate on what makes a good photo. Any camera in the hands of a good photographer can result in a good photo, and to me, the techniques of proper composition, exposure, etc. far outweigh one spec vs another.

I guess I want to say that let's not get caught up on specs at the risk of forgetting we have to know how to use the camera.

Exactly!

If we forget about the last squeaky 5% in total overall image quality that only really matters to pixel-peepers and measurebators, it all boils down to the user. I feel that as long as I don't plan on serious wildlife photography or sideline sports while on vacation my travel photos aren't negatively impacted whether I carry my DSLR or NEX.

I'm not saying that the NEX series is "better" than DSLRs and the reverse is also not true. The fact is they are both very capable form factors...which is why I own both. How well does that D600 with a 24-70 zoom fit in a jacket pocket? Not well. Does my NEX shoot sports with a long telephoto? Not so much. Does the D600 shoot in low light better? Yes. Measurably so. If my primary shooting was impromptu concert photography in dim bars or clubs, I would consider a full-frame DSLR for the low-light superiority. In the real world I, like most people, tend to take photos in a wide variety of situations and lighting conditions where that extra $1000 and 2 lbs probably won't buy a better photo.

There is no such thing as the "best all-around camera". I have always said that the best camera for all situations is usually two or three cameras and I see no change to that in the near future.

When I hear a photographer claim that they always carry all of their equipment and always shoot RAW "just in case", I always wonder if they tow a trailer behind their car with 4 spares, gas cans, a full set of tools, a hoist and a spare engine. And when I hear that people back up their photos to three different locations "just in case"...well, never mind. Bad comparison. That's normal! :D

In answer to your phase-detect question, the NEX-6, 5r and the upcoming 7n are the only models that have on-sensor phase-detect focus but all of the 5, 6 & 7 series can use the LA-EA2 adapter with Alpha lenses for full-speed phase-detect autofocus.

Dave

Unfortunately, the D600 has a serious dust and oil problem that Nikon has acknowledged, but still refuses to take adequate action on.

I am on the fence as is it a problem. I have my second D600, squeaky clean thru 2K+. The first costco kit got had dust/oil at 200+ frame, and got worse and between 2K and on was stable. The reality it never came out in any single photo that mattered. For the peepers including me who shot F11 into a sky or clear white background you could see it when you boosted the contrast. I also think for a 2K camera simply a bad approach to a know issue on a beautifuly camera. Also unless I'm shooting sports still the first camera I pick up, so yes that good. Nikon has blown everyone else out for IQ at the moment.

The larger problem IMHO is Nikon's ridiculous approach to the problem then the problem itself. They could use a serious education in PR.

Unfortunately, the D600 has a serious dust and oil problem that Nikon has acknowledged, but still refuses to take adequate action on.

I am on the fence as is it a problem. I have my second D600, squeaky clean thru 2K+. The first costco kit got had dust/oil at 200+ frame, and got worse and between 2K and on was stable. The reality it never came out in any single photo that mattered. For the peepers including me who shot F11 into a sky or clear white background you could see it when you boosted the contrast. I also think for a 2K camera simply a bad approach to a know issue on a beautifuly camera. Also unless I'm shooting sports still the first camera I pick up, so yes that good. Nikon has blown everyone else out for IQ at the moment.

The larger problem IMHO is Nikon's ridiculous approach to the problem then the problem itself. They could use a serious education in PR.

It's really horrible, I've used Nikon products since 1979. They were the premier photo/optics company. I really believe that they are frightened of the future and companies like Apple and Sony. It is going to be very difficult for photo only companies to survive. Very soon, the masses will wake up and realize that the <$200 P&S cameras they have been buying the past 10 years are no better than their smart phones.

Archived