I Like Warm Beaches and Drinks with Umbrellas...So What's with the Icebergs?

SailorJack

Thanks also from me, Jack, for these pictures that don't let us forget a horrible time in Argentina's relatively recent history.

We didn't know about this Memorial Park when we were in Buenos Aires last year, but did get to one of the Tuesday afternoon demonstrations held in front of the Casa Rosada, and organized by the mothers & grandmothers of the abducted and missing children (Madres de Plaza de Mayo). We were told that these demos have been taking place regularly since 1977. There has been some progress recently, and it is reported that the 108th missing person was found in April. Bravo to those who refuse to give up searching.

Are you saying that they've found 108 people alive?

Thanks Jack, I find those pictures and your descriptions quite moving. It is amazing how a picture can tell a thousand words but a picture and a brief description can be much more powerful. The memorial of the man at the river for example, without the words is just a man at the river.:D

I found the man looking out to the water to be quite poignant. It sort of captured the feelings of what it must have been like for people looking for the members of their family that disappeared.

This last set of pictures is chilling.

I've heard of all those disappearances but, as Mic said, the pictures really make it real.

To me, the fact that the names were inscribed on moveable plaques really brought home the fact that they are still finding out what happened to the thousands of people still unaccounted for.

Thanks also from me, Jack, for these pictures that don't let us forget a horrible time in Argentina's relatively recent history.

We didn't know about this Memorial Park when we were in Buenos Aires last year, but did get to one of the Tuesday afternoon demonstrations held in front of the Casa Rosada, and organized by the mothers & grandmothers of the abducted and missing children (Madres de Plaza de Mayo). We were told that these demos have been taking place regularly since 1977. There has been some progress recently, and it is reported that the 108th missing person was found in April. Bravo to those who refuse to give up searching.

We were not there on a Tuesday, but we did visit the tents that the mothers and grandmothers had erected in the Plaza de Mayo. It speaks to the anguish of these individuals that they are still active after all these years.

Jack

Please excuse my error -- the demonstration marches of the mothers and grandmothers of the "disappeared" take place on Thursday, not Tuesday.

Jack, your pictures got me to do some more research about the Madres de la Plaza de Mayo. A government study found records of 11,000 missing children and grandchildren. These two organizations (the mothers and grandmothers have separated due to several reasons) estimate the numbers at the much higher figure of 30,000. The results of the "Dirty War" (1976 to 1983) in terms of families being separated, children being kidnapped and raised by other families, tortures and murders of anyone considered to be "subversive" etc. etc. is really terrible. For anyone wanting to learn more, just google the "madres de la plaza de mayo". So sad...

BTW -- similarly "legal" kidnappings also took place in the DDR (East Germany) in large numbers during the time when East and West Germany were separated. (Especially when it was determined that the parents were planning to defect to the west.)

Please excuse my error -- the demonstration marches of the mothers and grandmothers of the "disappeared" take place on Thursday, not Tuesday.

Jack, your pictures got me to do some more research about the Madres de la Plaza de Mayo. A government study found records of 11,000 missing children and grandchildren. These two organizations (the mothers and grandmothers have separated due to several reasons) estimate the numbers at the much higher figure of 30,000. The results of the "Dirty War" (1976 to 1983) in terms of families being separated, children being kidnapped and raised by other families, tortures and murders of anyone considered to be "subversive" etc. etc. is really terrible. For anyone wanting to learn more, just google the "madres de la plaza de mayo". So sad...

BTW -- similarly "legal" kidnappings also took place in the DDR (East Germany) in large numbers durig the time when East and West Germany were separated. (Especially when it was determined that the parents were planning to defect to the west.)

It has happened all over the world for various reasons. It has never turned out well for the majority of people.:D

We are nearing the end of the Gerlache Strait and getting ready to turn towards Paradise Bay. Picture yourself standing out on deck and seeing scenes like this in any direction you turn. It really was magical.

Here you can see where the fog is starting to settle again before lifting up for good.

A large piece of ice and snow caved off here. You can see some of it floating in the water. I always pictured Antarctica as being quiet, but you can hear the ice and snow cracking, moving and cascading into the sea.

171.jpg

Just in case you're not familiar with it...one of my favorite FREE photo tools is Irfanview. (http://www.irfanview.net/) It is very simple to use ... which is something I need. All I did to this picture of yours, was to put it into Irfanview and click on "Image" along the top, and then in the drop down box ... "Auto Adjust Colors" to get the picture below. There's a lot more you can do with the program...but I like to keep it simple. Sometimes I like the original version better....but sometimes this is better. As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" :)

And thanks for a very enjoyable review. We keep putting off Alaska because we prefer warm Caribbean weather. I can't imagine going to Antarctica! But it sure was beautiful!

SailorJack2_zpsb8d240ba.jpg

586.jpg

Really fun review! We were there a month before you and can't say enough about how great a trip it was. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by ceba

Thanks, Denise. This looks like a great photo tool. :)

Agree that some photos with the light/contrast touched a little bit come out better, but I also like the raw picture as it normally shows how I remember it.:D

Thanks, Denise. This looks like a great photo tool. :)

You're welcome Sharon. Hope you find it useful! :)

You can also use Irfanview to re-size, crop, fix red eyes, change pictures to other formats (ex: gif to jpg) and a lot of other things.

Just in case you're not familiar with it...one of my favorite FREE photo tools is Irfanview. (http://www.irfanview.net/) It is very simple to use ... which is something I need. All I did to this picture of yours, was to put it into Irfanview and click on "Image" along the top, and then in the drop down box ... "Auto Adjust Colors" to get the picture below. There's a lot more you can do with the program...but I like to keep it simple. Sometimes I like the original version better....but sometimes this is better. As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" :)

And thanks for a very enjoyable review. We keep putting off Alaska because we prefer warm Caribbean weather. I can't imagine going to Antarctica! But it sure was beautiful!

SailorJack2_zpsb8d240ba.jpg

A very cool website. I played with it a little bit and will give it a try with some photos. Mic does make a good point...sometimes you want to keep the original to remind you of exactly just what it was like. One thing I will look for in this site is the option of making a copy and then editing the copy while keeping the original.

Thanks again...the picture you edited add some added highlights that looked good...thanks,

Jack

A very cool website. I played with it a little bit and will give it a try with some photos. Mic does make a good point...sometimes you want to keep the original to remind you of exactly just what it was like. One thing I will look for in this site is the option of making a copy and then editing the copy while keeping the original.

Thanks again...the picture you edited add some added highlights that looked good...thanks,

Jack

SailorJack.... You can always open a picture and before you do anything to it, click "File" and in the drop down "Save As" and rename the file something different. Sometimes all I do is add an i after the original file name so I know I used Irfanview to make changes. Then you will keep your original and be creative with the one you're working on. If you want to do Color Corrections on your own, just Click "Image" then "Color Corrections" and it will open a window with your original and one to work on side by side.

Glad you gave it a try. It's fun to share useful things with others...especially when they're free.

SailorJack.... You can always open a picture and before you do anything to it, click "File" and in the drop down "Save As" and rename the file something different. Sometimes all I do is add an i after the original file name so I know I used Irfanview to make changes. Then you will keep your original and be creative with the one you're working on. If you want to do Color Corrections on your own, just Click "Image" then "Color Corrections" and it will open a window with your original and one to work on side by side.

Glad you gave it a try. It's fun to share useful things with others...especially when they're free.

Thanks! I tried it and it works! Which is a new experience for me.:D

That is what I do, I make a copy and then do the edits, nothing as too fancy. Sometimes just to zoom in and do some cropping or enhancing the light/contrast.

That is what I have been doing.

Edited by SailorJack

I checked and you are on my list so assume I am now on yours. Can you explain the benefit of this please?

Many thanks and hope the Sun is shining you both today!

Warm wishes, Anne

Turned up on mine as well.

The benefit of being a "friend" include:

1. Free airport pickup

2. Free place to stay while you are in Atlanta.

3. Unlimited wine.

As far as I know, that about covers it!:D

Jack

PS It is raining here every day!

We are back in Buenos Aires and our cruise is (sadly:() over. As our ship docked at 7:00 AM and our flight back to the States did not leave until 9:30 PM we had some time to kill so we took a tour of BA that included some places we had never visited.

One of the most interesting places was the Puerto Madero Waterfront. Located in the heart of BA this was (In the late 1800's) the port for the city. However, it eventually became dilapidated with decaying warehouses and left over rusted pilings. Since then it has become a successful urban renewal area complete with private universities, chic restaurants, and elegant homes.

On the right bank of the Rio del la Plata are impressive buildings that reminded everyone of France. If you didn't know better, you would have thought you were in Paris.

592.jpg

94472497-0d21-4da6-8bc3-1a8d88e158fc.jpg

590.jpg

However, if you turn 180 degrees and look at the left bank, the architecture of a modern city provides an interesting contrast.

593.jpg

596.jpg

SailorJack

I so enjoyed your review ! You have an amazing sense of humor and writing style. I did the same cruise in 2010 , a memorable experience. You were a lot luckier than us with the weather- we missed the Falklands and only had one day in Antarctica. But it was unforgettable.

Your photos of the memorials in BA are haunting. I live in South America and the dictatorships were devastating. Sadly , the situation in Argentina is worsening again.

Thanks again for the delightful read!

SailorJack

I so enjoyed your review ! You have an amazing sense of humor and writing style. I did the same cruise in 2010 , a memorable experience. You were a lot luckier than us with the weather- we missed the Falklands and only had one day in Antarctica. But it was unforgettable.

Your photos of the memorials in BA are haunting. I live in South America and the dictatorships were devastating. Sadly , the situation in Argentina is worsening again.

Thanks again for the delightful read!

Glad you enjoyed it. The weather down there can be very unpredictable. We took a cruise to South America several years ago and also missed the Falklands. Someone said that nearly a third of all scheduled visits to the island are cancelled due to weather. A passenger on our cruise said this was his third trip to Antarctica and this was the first time he could see anything because of fog.

I have been following developments in Argentina and can only hope that things improve.

SailorJack,

I was wondering if you knew what that structure is in the middle of the river?

There was some speculation among our group about that structure and our guide (with limited English) was unable to explain it to us. We had been told that there were some shoals in the river and our best guess was that this was a navigational aid - perhaps alerting ships to a shoal.

Thank you so much for your review and the laugh... Really need it to end the week.

This destination is on my "experience-of-a-lifetime" list, just need to convince DH.

It is truly a great experience... I was sorry I had put it off for so long. I am sure your DH will come around! :)

Thanks Jack, you did well. You have taken us on your cruise and shared the good and some not so good sights, given us some emotion through your pictures and stories. Thanks.

Thanks...and I have enjoyed your input along the way. :)

Edited by SailorJack

Also located at Puerto Madero is the best tourist deal going... the Presidente Sarmiento. Entrance to see this museum ship is only $2!

The ship was built as a training ship for the Argentine Navy and is named after the seventh president of Argentina. It is the last intact cruising training ship from the 1890's. It was a seagoing ship (making 7 circumnavigations of the world) up until 1938 at which time it has served as a stationary training ship until 1961. It is now a museum.

Access to the ship is extraordinary. You can get into the engine room, the torpedo room, crew quarters, and parts of the ship normally off limits on other naval museum ships.

594.jpg

f796f6d9-7355-4d98-9b91-d3964c1ff2b3.jpg

601.jpg

600.jpg