Transfer from Anchorage to Captain Cook Hotel

fireflymd

Our unfortunate TA booked a Princess transfer from Anchorage Airport to the Captain Cook Hotel, then booked us on a flight that arrives so late we will not be able to use the transfer.

He instructed us to present the bill to the concierge at the hotel and they would pay for it instead of the transfer.

Would it be less expensive to simply cancel the transfer from the airport to the hotel since we will be taking a cab anyway?

I think that it would be less of a hassle to just cancel and take the cab. By the way, if you are hungry when you get to the Captain Cook try out the food in the Whale Tail- a restaurant/bar in the hotel. We had the best oysters rockefeller we ever had there.

Late night arrivals in Anchorage are common. I would figure on something in the area of $25 for a taxi with a little extra for extra passengers and heaps of luggage.

How much is the Princess Transfer per person?

Do not hesitate to telephone the Captain Cook with questions about what will be open for a meal when you arrive and etc. (800-843-1950).

There are different views available from the rooms in the CC. Basically the view of Cook Inlet to the west, the Chugach mountains to the east, a possible McKinley view to the north and a southern view which has some water and some mountains.

You can ask for a specific view if you have a preference.

Unfortunately, we arrive in Anchorage at 12:30 am. The latest place open in the hotel closes by 1 am.

I need to find out the price for the transfer. Our TA has not been knowledgable at all--he should have known the transfer would likely be more expensive than the cab ride and never arranged it in the first place, knowing how late he had us arriving. I only learned about this transfer price issue on this forum.

I booked the extra day myself. Unfortunately, it was for the price advertised on their website, and I wondered if the TA could have done better. But I didn't use him because without even checking, he told us there would likely be no availability. He has been more of an impediment than of service--I keep wondering if we will show up on Candid Camera. It has been a surreal experience.

If you booked the hotel yourself, you can't book a Princess transfer to the hotel. Unless he booked the transfer as part of a land program (and you are flying in a day early) but if he did that, it would be on the day the land program starts.

I am still confused. Is it possible he booked a transfer not with Princess?

If you booked the hotel yourself, you can't book a Princess transfer to the hotel. Unless he booked the transfer as part of a land program (and you are flying in a day early) but if he did that, it would be on the day the land program starts.

I am still confused. Is it possible he booked a transfer not with Princess?

He originally booked the Princess transfer when he had us arriving the day the land tour starts. We later changed our flight to arrive the day earlier and gave him the updated information.

He never mentioned this transfer would no longer be valid anyway. So thank you for clarifying this for me. Now I see he has me paying for a transfer I can't use.

So I definitely have to cancel this transfer!

He originally booked the Princess transfer when he had us arriving the day the land tour starts. We later changed our flight to arrive the day earlier and gave him the updated information.

He never mentioned this transfer would no longer be valid anyway. So thank you for clarifying this for me. Now I see he has me paying for a transfer I can't use.

So I definitely have to cancel this transfer!

I have not booked a land trip with Princess but I have booked a hotel with Princess and the transfer was included in the cost of the hotel. It is possible that there may not be a refund. Please tell us what you find out.

Worse case scenario - I don't think the taxi is that much.

We also elected to arrive in Anchorage a day early, booking the Captain Cook independent of Princess. (Our TA did this for us.) Because we are not on a Princess tour until the next day we did not qualify for the Princess transfer.

Our flight is supposed to arrive @ 12:30 PM AK time so we shouldn't have any issues getting a taxi. Our TA said a cab would be about $20.

Sue

We also elected to arrive in Anchorage a day early, booking the Captain Cook independent of Princess. (Our TA did this for us.) Because we are not on a Princess tour until the next day we did not qualify for the Princess transfer.

Our flight is supposed to arrive @ 12:30 PM AK time so we shouldn't have any issues getting a taxi. Our TA said a cab would be about $20.

Sue

I would look at $25-30 with tips.

• 2 months later...

We are taking a Princess Cruisetour which starts with the land portion (HB5) on 8/16. We plan to go a day early since the flight doesn't get in until nearly 1:00 AM. Anyone aware of a hotel booking site with a competitive price on the Captain Cook Hotel for our one day extension on the front end?

Anyone out there taking this cruisetour?

Our transfer is included in our cruisetour package however we opted to arrive several days early and do the Kenai Peninsula in addition to the cruisetour. We'll be returning the car to the airport by 4 pm the day we are scheduled for the Captain Cook and then taking a cab from the airport to the hotel. It may or may not be covered, TA is still finding out for us. Either way we've been told to budget $30 to $35 for the taxi plus gratuity. Frankly I'm happy either way as the taxi gives us greater flexibility than the arrangement included in our package.

i was told through my TA that if I took a taxi, that we just take the receipt to the desk and they will refund us for the taxi ride. Not sure who you purchased through. But I am taking the Princess tour cruise as well in June, arriving also at 1230 AM.

Why would the hotel pay for your taxi when your unused transfer was through Princess?

Due to the fact if you arrive when their shuttle is not running. I contacted the hotel and they said the same thing. I don't always believe what a travel agent says or what a company says. I call am ask questions to every place I make reservations to make sure I get everything I need for my money!

Archived