Juneau Excursions

luvSClake

I think I may have our first day in port planned, just want to make sure I am not trying to do too much. We want to make the most of the time we have in port, see as much as we can, but also not feel like she we are having to run from one place to the next.

Ship arrives 11 am departs 10 pm.

Mendenhall Glacier on our own, have read that we can get a shuttle up and back from the pier. 2-3 hrs depending on how long we stay at the glacier. Plan to be back in town by, say 2:30.

Harv & Marv whale watching at 4:20 for 4.5 hrs.

I'm hoping we will have time to walk around town for a bit in between our return from the glacier and our whale watching tour. Does this sound reasonable?

ship arrival 11am, maybe get off ship by 11:15 - 11:30... about 40 min shuttle to Glacier (no place for lunch, so might want to pack something, or eat lunch onboard before heading out?)... an hour at Mendenhall, 40 min back...

doable I think...

Actually, don't pack a lunch for Mendenhall. They are very strict about no food. Something about the locals.....

Unless you are planning to actually walk out to the glacier, an hour at the visitor's center is plenty, and you can see the glacier right there.

Actually, don't pack a lunch for Mendenhall. They are very strict about no food. Something about the locals.....

Unless you are planning to actually walk out to the glacier, an hour at the visitor's center is plenty, and you can see the glacier right there.

no food because it attracts bears.

Ask H&M to pick you up directly at Mendenall. It will save you a LOT of time traveling back and forth.

Hmmmm, hadn't thought about that, figured we would have to go back to the pier to meet them. If meeting them at the Mendenhall, we could possibly spend an hour or so in Juneau before going to the glacier. I will ask H&M about that when I confirm our reservation. Thanks

Thanks for the heads up about having H&M pick us up at Mendenhall, we now have plans for them to pick us up at the visitors center at 4:45. This should give us plenty of time to have a bit of lunch in town, then head to the glacier and then on to the whale watching tour. From what I can tell reading the times, it will probably save us close to an hour.

Thanks for the heads up about having H&M pick us up at Mendenhall, we now have plans for them to pick us up at the visitors center at 4:45. This should give us plenty of time to have a bit of lunch in town, then head to the glacier and then on to the whale watching tour. From what I can tell reading the times, it will probably save us close to an hour.

It is at least an hour going back and forth. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on this before, as it is the only recommendation I give and raved about for saving time.

Just times to consider, the visitor center is informative, with a good movie, 45 min is doable here. There also are some ranger programs which are usually very good/excellent. You may want to check the schedule before you get there. If you want to walk to Nugget Falls, you need to allow at least an hour. If you are slower or think you may be tied up with photography etc, allow more time.

Glad it worked out so well for you.

Archived