Anguilla from St Martin Tuesday 2/26/13

farm girl

My husband wanted to go to Anguilla to check out the island.

We were on Celebrity Reflection and the ship was suppose to arrive at 0900 but it actually arrived around 0800. We were off the ship around 09:30am. We had planned to be the first off the ship at 0900 but my husband had surgery recently and wanted to sleep in.

We were told that many taxi's would be waiting and that is true, but it took about 15 minutes to find one to go to Marigot. They want to stuff as many people as they can in a taxi so you have to wait until about 10 people want to go. We (a group of 8) finally told them we would pay more if they would send us on so they did. I think it was 10.00 per person.

The traffic was bad because there were so many ships in port.

We arrived at Marigot at 1035 so I knew we had missed the ferry but a man was screaming "Anyone for the Anguilla Ferry" so we paid the tax (I can't remember what it was) and quickly went through customs. After getting on the ferry we paid 15.00 per person.

Upon arrival to Anguilla at 11:00 or so, we went through customs which took about 10 minutes and gave them our customs form we filled out on the ferry.

I went outside to the taxi stand and I told her we wanted a taxi tour and wanted to be back for the 2:15pm ferry. The cost was $55.00. Then she introduced us to Evan Lake who is very nice and he gave us a great tour of the island. He knows everyone.

The hotels are beautiful, the beaches are beautiful and the people are nice. The day was cool and overcast and not many people were out so the island seemed almost deserted. We saw CuisinArt at Rendezyous Bay, Cap Juluca at Maundays Bay, Shoal Bay, Barnes Bay, Meads Bay (Straw Hat), Sandy Ground, the airport area, and The Valley. We visited some really nice hotels that are the most elegant hotels I have ever seen. We would have had time for lunch but we were not hungry and I was afraid I might get seasick on the way back because I started feeling it a little on the way over. We mainly wanted to see the island and my husband was tired so we went back for the 1:30 ferry to St Martin.

FYI: On the ferry we met a man who told us that he paid $55.00 for a taxi ride to the Viceroy hotel and back (Beautiful hotel). He wanted to check this hotel out for a future function and he could not believe they charged him so much.

We paid another tax and bought a ticket for the ferry. The lady asked for my papers. I told her I did not have any papers. I told her I gave my customs form to the lady on arrival and she said that lady was suppose to give me a paper to give her. Anyway, she let us through.

We arrived back at St Martin and went through customs quickly and then went to the taxi stand and got a great taxi for 10.00 per person for 4 of us! The traffic was less at this time of the day.

We were back at the ship by 2:45pm. The ship sailed at 6:00pm. So we had time to spare.

The people on the ship said the sailboat rides were cool, the beaches were cool, and the water was too cold. I think we made a good choice for the weather that day.

We were on Celebrity Reflection and the ship was suppose to arrive at 0900 but it actually arrived around 0800. We were off the ship around 09:30am. We had planned to be the first off the ship at 0900 but my husband had surgery recently and wanted to sleep in.

We were told that many taxi's would be waiting and that is true, but it took about 15 minutes to find one to go to Marigot. They want to stuff as many people as they can in a taxi so you have to wait until about 10 people want to go. We (a group of 8) finally told them we would pay more if they would send us on so they did. I think it was 10.00 per person.

We arrived at Marigot at 1035 so I knew we had missed the ferry but a man was screaming "Anyone for the Anguilla Ferry" so we paid the tax (I can't remember what it was) and quickly went through customs. After getting on the ferry we paid 15.00 per person.

Upon arrival to Anguilla at 11:00 or so, we went through customs which took about 10 minutes and gave them our customs form we filled out on the ferry.

I went outside to the taxi stand and I told her we wanted a taxi tour and wanted to be back for the 2:15pm ferry. The cost was $55.00. Then she introduced us to Evan Lake who is very nice and he gave us a great tour of the island. He knows everyone.

The hotels are beautiful, the beaches are beautiful and the people are nice. The day was cool and overcast and not many people were out so the island seemed almost deserted. We saw CuisinArt at Rendezyous Bay, Cap Juluca at Maundays Bay, Shoal Bay, Barnes Bay, Meads Bay (Straw Hat), Sandy Ground, the airport area, and The Valley. We visited some really nice hotels that are the most elegant hotels I have ever seen. We would have had time for lunch but we were not hungry and I was afraid I might get seasick on the way back because I started feeling it a little on the way over. We mainly wanted to see the island and my husband was tired so we went back for the 1:30 ferry to St Martin.

FYI: On the ferry we met a man who told us that he paid $55.00 for a taxi ride to the Viceroy hotel and back (Beautiful hotel). He wanted to check this hotel out for a future function and he could not believe they charged him so much.

We paid another tax and bought a ticket for the ferry. The lady asked for my papers. I told her I did not have any papers. I told her I gave my customs form to the lady on arrival and she said that lady was suppose to give me a paper to give her. Anyway, she let us through.

We arrived back at St Martin and went through customs quickly and then went to the taxi stand and got a great taxi for 10.00 per person for 4 of us! The traffic was less at this time of the day.

We were back at the ship by 2:45pm. The ship sailed at 6:00pm. So we had time to spare.

The people on the ship said the sailboat rides were cool, the beaches were cool, and the water was too cold. I think we made a good choice for the weather that day.

This is the first time that I have ever read someone saying that the water in St. Maarten was "too cold". Was there a bad storm or perhaps a cold front passing through? What was the weather like on Anguilla on that day?

This is the first time that I have ever read someone saying that the water in St. Maarten was "too cold". Was there a bad storm or perhaps a cold front passing through? What was the weather like on Anguilla on that day?

Meant to say temperature not weather.

It was too cool for some people who were boating on St Martin but it probably felt great to those who are use to cold weather. The weather was the same on Anguilla and St Martin. There was some rain, a breeze and overcast. My husband bought a sweatshirt. I am hot natured so I was fine, but I had on long sleeves. I think the weather was unusual. When we got to Miami it was 47 degrees!

There were not a lot of people at the beaches that day on Anguilla. There is a feel that you have a beach to yourself.

We would love to go and stay there for a week or two.

It was too cool for some people who were boating on St Martin but it probably felt great to those who are use to cold weather. The weather was the same on Anguilla and St Martin. There was some rain, a breeze and overcast. My husband bought a sweatshirt. I am hot natured so I was fine, but I had on long sleeves. I think the weather was unusual. When we got to Miami it was 47 degrees!

There were not a lot of people at the beaches that day on Anguilla. There is a feel that you have a beach to yourself.

We would love to go and stay there for a week or two.

I hope that your whole trip wasn't plagued by such weather! That is very unusual weather for the end of February in Anguilla and St. Maarten.

Anguilla has wonderful beaches and lovely resorts. It's a nice day trip from St. Martin but its too flat for my liking. Glad you enjoyed your day despite the weather.:)

Did you require a passport tO go from St Maarten to Anguilla ? Did you have to provide any other documents at customs upon arrival?

We're planning a day trip to Anguilla after our cruise in early April. Yes, you must have a passport to enter Anguilla

• 3 weeks later...

You've now given me an idea of how much it will cost for a taxi ride from Phillipsburg over to Marigot and the cost of a taxi tour. I'm doing this solo. I wonder if it's a $55 flat fee or was that the price because there were two of you. The fact that you all had to wait until there were more ppl wanting to go to Marigot, I should pay the extra $8 for my own taxi with a tour company I used in October when I toured St. Maarten.

When you and your husband arrived in Anguilla, did they stamp your passports?

Thanks,

I just finished the book about Blanchard's in Anguilla. It was wonderful to learn about the island. I'd highly recommend it. You'll appreciate the people and the food, and see why imported food is so expensive. I'd like to visit one day, and thanks to your review, I can see that it is possible on a cruise. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

It was my impression that it was a flat fee but I do not know for sure.

I do not think it would be less expensive for one because that man had to pay a bunch for a round trip hotel taxi ride.

If I had to change anything, I would do what you are going to do and get a private taxi out of the port sooner even if you have to pay a little more. You may be able to share one with friends you meet on the ship. Waiting for taxi to get to the Anguilla Ferry was a waste of time.

Have fun and good luck.

Archived