Superga sneaks...

Sadly, I've broken my right little toe. I seem to do something to a foot/ankle/leg before each trip lately :( It's not going to be in "good shoe" wearing condition for my big trip. I don't want to take my Salomon trail runners with me - a tad too "sporty" and touristy to wear in Rome, I'm afraid. I was thinking of picking up a pair of Superga sneakers to wear. Totally Italian, lots of color choices (although I was leaning toward neutral grey), and I can put in my orthotic insoles. I'd be wearing these when I wear my standard daytime clothes: dark wash jeans or dark linen pants, nice white Tshirt (or a pastel for this Spring), black leather jacket and one of my many scarves - I'll wear my Jambu Water Divas with my LBD...

I figured, when in Rome, wear as the Romans... anyone have any opinions on them? I'm not a dress sandal or a dress flat kind of person. I'm totally casual. My closet is filled with multiple cowboy boots, trail runners, and Sorels. I have TWO pairs of dress shoes - a pair of red Jambu Touring Toos and a pair of Jambu Bogata booties.

I was also thinking of some Bensimon sneaks, but Paris is at the end of my trip. I may pick up a pair of the stuffed mids while I'm there - a little Scotchguarding and they'd be really fun for fall/winter!!!

I like Supergas, have worn them for years since I picked up my first pair in Rome in 1999....

Fashionwise they're great, especially in Italy (although they are more widely available elsewhere now). For me, they aren't as supportive as some other types of shoes so I tend to wear them more for "casual fun" but not intensive walking. If they work for you in that regard, go for it.

When I was in Rome and Naples last year, metallic-toned sports shoes seemed to be all the rage (among those wearing that type of shoe, as opposed to the ubiquitous boots). But that's probably changed by now. :D

Thanks cruisemom42! I was hoping you would comment, since you are one of the most experienced people here for Rome.

I know there isn't much support in the shoe, but I've heard of people putting their orthotics in the shoes. that's what I'd be doing.

Man, I LOVE all the colors they have!! Same with the Bensimons. But, I feel that I should keep them neutral. Generic Black is a little too severe for me, but I thought the grey would be good. Or, maybe the grey metallic stud version :eek:

If you are walking slow or have problems, bring a cane.

Even if you don't need it.

If you are slow to cross the street they will honk at you unless they see that you are infirm.

Voice of Experience.

If you are walking slow or have problems, bring a cane.

Even if you don't need it.

If you are slow to cross the street they will honk at you unless they see that you are infirm.

Voice of Experience.

Already planning on bringing the cane. I just have to decide which from my collection to bring: black carbon fiber, blue flowers, or black with flames... They all fold up, so they are easy to bring. I usually bring one just in case I get clumsy on vacation ;)

Already planning on bringing the cane. I just have to decide which from my collection to bring: black carbon fiber, blue flowers, or black with flames... They all fold up, so they are easy to bring. I usually bring one just in case I get clumsy on vacation ;)

Flames, definetly the flames.:D

• 1 month later...

Well, after hemming and hawing at all the colors of Superga sneaks, I came across the Fresh Salmon color today. Love'em! They look really cool with my jeans when I have the bottoms rolled up a little. I've got room to put my orthotics in them, so they are perfect for strolling around Italy. Now, I have 2 pair, the other one is Camillia (a dense watermelon color)/

Where do you get those nice sounding fold up canes? I am thinking of getting one for a friend. :)

Where do you get those nice sounding fold up canes? I am thinking of getting one for a friend. :)

The main website I've used is fashionablecanes dot com. There is also walking-canes dot com. There is quite a bit of overlap of canes between the sites.

If your friend uses a cane all the time and lives where it snows, a nice accessory is an ice tip. The tip folds into a "normal" tip for regular use, but you can fold it down to grip some more on snow and ice.

or in Italy???

Could be a good way to rationalize a pair...especially because I am in Rome on my birthday...

Bernadette

That, I don't know. They aren't that expensive over here - $65 for the Classic, $80 for some specialty fabrics and $120 if you want the studs.

Cruisemom 42 is on her cruise right now, I believe. She's doing a few days in Rome post-cruise. She said she was thinking of picking up a new pair while she is there. I'll be there in 4 days. I'll try to look and see what they cost. There is a Superga UK website - they have prices in Pounds, EU and $. With conversion, they are basically the same, $69.

Looks like Superga sneaks are very much like Chuck Taylors - I think just saved some $$ to spend on something else ;-)

I find my Supergas to similar in sizing and support to my chucks. But, since I bought my first pair of Supergas a few months ago, I've been completely ignoring my Chucks! I love my Supergas. I do find them to be just slightly wider than my Chucks. I like the laces and fabric of the Supergas a bit better too. They are a little thicker and sturdier.

Archived