Mushers' Camp and Sled Dog Experience

Redrufus

Our first cruise is coming up in September and we would like to book the above excursion at Skagway through Holland-America. We realise the ride is not on ice but would like opinions on what it is like and whether it is good/reasonable value.

(2½ hours - $109)

My husband a 3 grand children took this tour last month, yes your right it is not on ice, but they had a wonderful time and said it was worth the money. There was one bad experience, the 3 year old was wearing a flake fur coat, and one of the dogs push her down and try to drag her.The trainers said it was because of the coat, it's to much like another animal. She is find, but I don't wear flake fur.Have fun, O an yes we would do it again. Teresa:)

I did this last year and thought it was cute. I enjoyed it - I wasn't willing to spend $400 pp so this was in my price range. The musher we had was "Hugh" who had been "Rookie of the Year" last year on the Iditarod - so that was pretty cool.

Here are some pics:

sled dogs

Let me know if you have any questions.

They responded back that they were the same as on the ship, and to book thru the ship. There are refreshments served, and a complete tour of Skagway precedes the dog mushing. We were able to cancel a tour of Skagway we'd already booked since it would have been duplicating that part of the dog excursion. I found photos of the Dyea area and it is a beautiful ride to get there.

There are refreshments served, and a complete tour of Skagway precedes the dog mushing. We were able to cancel a tour of Skagway we'd already booked since it would have been duplicating that part of the dog excursion.

Hopefully you will find someone who went this year ---but last year, we did not have a tour of Skagway. I booked it through Princess last year. And refreshments were at best, minimal. No one in our group ate anything. It is possible that they changed things this year.

Just my take, this was an ok tour when I went several years ago, independent (they have since ship contracted) and it was $30. :) Other options possible that are way cheaper with my top superior recommendation Seavey's in Seward. the rock bottom ride is $5 at the Wasilla sled dog museum. :) But out of Skagway if you wish to see the Yukon with a rental car, sled dogs at at Caribou Crossing, I was just there and the sled dog kennel look is $10US and a cart ride $52ca. AND the bonus of getting to Emerald Lake. :)

If you will be going on to Seward, try the Seavey family Ididaride tour. Mitch Seavey won the Iditarod in 2004 and his sons qre mushers too. They have a short tour for about $49 that includes a tour of Seward as well as the dog sled ride on wheels and a much longer one that gets you up close ad personal to the Exit glacier for more than $100.

They have a webiste -- google for Seavey and Ididaride.

love

joan

We did the dog sled excursion through Princess in May. It was one of the best things we did the whole cruise. It was interesting to see the different personalities of the dogs, and how small they were. Don't want to ruin anything for you but don't miss this one.

* What better way to enjoy Alaska than to experience a team of powerful*

* huskies pulling you through the great back-country of a historic Gold Rush

* Site! We understand that this could be very difficult without any snow, so*

* we have created a great way for you to experience the awesome feeling of

* dog-mushing during the summer months: on our wheeled dog sled!

* Hop aboard a window van and start***** Enjoy the beautiful scenery!*

* your excursion with a full narrative of*

* historic Skagway as you cruise through town on your way to the Klondike*

* Gold Rush National Park, but first stop at the scenic Skagway Overlook

* to snap some photos of the breathtaking view of Skagway and the

* visiting cruise ships.

* As you near the Park, prepare

* yourself for the ride of your life on

* one of our custom made wheeled

* dog sleds, well suited for running in

* the summer months. The ride will

* take you along the waterfront of

* Dyea, a historic Gold Rush

* Settlement, full of rich history and

* outrageous scenery. Let the team

* mush on as you grab onto your seat

* for a truly authentic Alaskan

* Adventure!

* After the ride, relax while you cuddle with some adorable Alaska husky puppies, while enjoying a beverage and******

* smoked salmon pate' as a guide fills you in on the life of a musher and his team in the Great White North!*

* Also, don't think that you'll be missing out on Skagway's incredible Gold Rush History as we incorporate a

* narrated City Tour into our excursion!

Make sure this is one

experience you don't miss!

RESERVE NOW!!

***** _____

If you go to Caribou Crossing Michelle will give you an excellent overview of the musher's experience and the cart ride or you can just interact with the dogs. We went sightseeing on the way up, had late brunch at Cinnamon Cache, visited Caribou Crossing, backtracked to Emerald Lake and saw a brown bear in a meadow right beside the road! He has been seen in the same spot between the Cache and Caribou Crossing for the past week! (on cue of course;) ). IMHO only this is a great trip for families.. Kids won't expect a desert (Carcross Desert) in the Yukon and interacting with dogs is very educational if you take the cart trip. You can book this ahead of time if you want to and get info at http://www.cariboucrossing.ca

Archived