heartbroken and sad as I ask this

My mom went to heaven 1/16/13 and I believe your father would want your family to enjoy your cruise. Life is about the relationships and experiences.

I am going to enjoy a cruise with my son and his family next month.

Your fathers girlfriend will be able to get the taxes back but the cruise fare is double in a single cabin. I would call

the ta or carnival to let them know it will be a single cabin or she may want to bring a friend.

My prayers are with you. God bless.

Echoing babyher's sentiments, my deepest condolences to all who suffered the recent loss of a loved one..whether the two legged or four legged kind.:o

Enjoy the family cruise with the comforting knowledge that it's your dearest Daddy's final parting gift to his beloved, close-knit family. I must comment that he certainly possessed a generous nature and you are blessed that he wanted to bestow this lasting memory to all of those he clearly loved. And rest assured that his spirit will be with y'all on this cruise and he will be smiling down at y'all because you continue to honor his legacy.

Salute to dear 'ole Dad, and I do mean that with the utmost respect!:)

Very sorry for your loss.

If it turns out that your dad's GF wants to add someone to her cabin, I just wanted you to know back in Feb. of 2011, I changed names in our cabin 2 months before our cruise under the ES program. They charged me $50. My husband's work decided he couldn't take off the week of the cruise so I called Carnival a couple of times until I got someone on the phone who would change the name on the booking from my husband to my brother.

Best wishes to you and your family.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and send prayers to you and your family.

What a wonderful way to honor your Dad, by the entire family gathering and enjoying a cruise together. It was his wish that you all go together and by agreeing to still go, you're fulfilling his wish to the fullest. He will be there with you in spirit, I'm sure, happy that you're all having a good time.

Definitely check with your insurance. We have purchased a policy that would reimburse you for the nonrefundable costs associated with your father's cabin. It also will pay the single supplement if his girlfriend also has insurance.

Sharon

So sorry for your loss. We had to cancel a cruise we booked through our TA due to my father's cancer surgery which sadly he didn't survive. Our TA handled all of the insurance claims and specifics and we got a full refund promptly. I'm sure you and your family have a lot going on, so since he booked the cruise through a TA and purchased insurance, they should assist in expediting it for you. Wish you and your family well.

My sweet Daddy offered to take our whole family (my family' date=' sister's family, brother & GF, and Dad's GF) on a cruise this summer. We booked ES, and final payment is due in a few weeks. We are a very tight-knit family, especially since we lost our Mom (my Dad's bride of almost 40 years) 8 years ago to cancer. This would have been our 2nd whole-family cruise (but my 11th).

Unfortunately and unexpectedly, Dad passed away last week. :( We are heartbroken, but since my siblings and I are so very close, we plan to still go on the cruise to honor Dad. We went on a cruise together in June after my mom died in Feb. 2005, so it is a little ironic....and meaningful...that Dad had unknowingly put together a cruise that will take place in June after he died in Feb. this year.

Dad's GF still plans to go as well, and we support that decision. She was booked in a room with him; and each of the siblings and their families / guests have separate rooms. Dad's GF will now have a room of her own.

Dad did buy insurance. I have no idea what to do now. Do I contact the insurance company? My TA? Both? I haven't had time to dig around enough to figure out what happens to an ES booking if a person dies leaving a single passenger. Does anyone have any advice or information to share?

TIA[/quote']

I am so sorry for your loss. How tragic. It is great of your family to all still go as planned and I am sure he is looking down on you all smiling at that thought this very moment. It really goes to show you how short life is and how you should cherish everyday.

I am sorry for your loss.

Most of the plans that I have looked at cover the charge from a double to single berth if your traveling companion cancels. Which insurance did they have? Do you have the policy? I would be glad to take a look for you.

Wow. Thank you so much for all the well wishes. I am humbled by the kindness of strangers. My dad was truly one awesome guy, and he will be sorely missed, especially by me (I have ALWAYS been a Daddy's girl) and my DS, who is autistic. DS was my dad's best buddy, and they hung out at least once a week, so this is really tough for us. Our family has always been very tight-knit, and that will continue in his and our mom's honor, no doubt. We all still live in the same town and talk every single day.

It has only been 8 days since Dad left us, but early on my siblings and I decided we would still go on this cruise. Dad planned it entirely for us; he didn't even really want to go. He was always a homebody, but he wanted to do something special for us all, using a small payout he received when he was almost killed in a motorcycle accident that was someone else's fault. I did all the bookings and made arrangements for insurance, so I have all the information and am the contact person. He paid the bill :o. We have not missed the irony that Dad took us on a cruise 4 months after my Mom's death, and he will now take us on a cruise 4 months after his own.

Thank you all who offered advice. I have emailed my TA and will contact the insurance company as well. If I remember, I'll update when it all works out (I'm a little scatterbrained lately, so I may not remember :().

Thank you again for the kind words and prayers.

Oh my goodness. I don't have an answer for your question, but just wanted to give my condolences for your loss. How sad for you and your siblings.

But I'm sure your Dad would be pleased that he was able to give you the gift of a cruise, that you can honor his memory. Obviously he loved cruising.

Thank you. Funny, he didn't really like cruising (or travel of any type). He chose to do this entirely to make us happy. He would have much preferred to stay home. That's the kind of guy he was....willing to do whatever he could to try to make us happy. Life will be tough without him :(

As I read this tears are streaming down my face. I too lost my mom suddenly three weeks ago. My parents were married over 50 years. I will pray for you and your family. And I'm happy to read your dad started a new life with a new lady. That gives me hope for my dad.

Oh! My heart is breaking for you! I am so sorry to hear this. My mom was sick for some time, and the last days were torture, but losing your mom is such a difficult thing to face. I pray for peace for you.

My dad was very respectful. He began seeing this lady about 2 years after my mom's passing, and they have been together since. My siblings and I were, truthfully, not very open to it at first. We eventually realized that his happiness and ability to avoid a sense of loneliness trumped any discomfort we had with seeing him with someone other than our mom. And his GF really cared for him. She was a great companion who genuinely cared for him and accepted him. She also understood our feelings. She made a point to tell us that she knew the whole time that our mom was his first and "forever" love, but that our dad always treated her with an remarkable level of respect, friendship, and love. You are amazing to already understand the value of such a relationship and even wish for it for your dad. God bless you for that.

I had a similar occurrence last year. My husband of 41 years and I had planned a cruise . On Tuesday we paid off the cruise ES(with Carnival insurance) and on the following Saturday(4 days later) he passed away unexpectedly. I called Carnival and they said no problem you have insurance. I had to fax a copy of the death certificate and they handled everything else. I did the cruise in his memory with the oldest son and his family. Carnival even substituted the oldest granddaughter into my room with no charge. So sorry for your loss and will be thinking of your family.

I am so sad to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing your story, and I wish for peace and comfort for you.

I think you have gotten plenty of advice on how to handle this but I really do just want to add my condolences. I am sure that this cruise will be many things...sad, bittersweet, and thoughtful, yet, at the same time fun, memorable, and a time of family healing. Prayers for you and your family. God's grace and healing is limitless

Archived