heartbroken and sad as I ask this

My sweet Daddy offered to take our whole family (my family, sister's family, brother & GF, and Dad's GF) on a cruise this summer. We booked ES, and final payment is due in a few weeks. We are a very tight-knit family, especially since we lost our Mom (my Dad's bride of almost 40 years) 8 years ago to cancer. This would have been our 2nd whole-family cruise (but my 11th).

Unfortunately and unexpectedly, Dad passed away last week. :( We are heartbroken, but since my siblings and I are so very close, we plan to still go on the cruise to honor Dad. We went on a cruise together in June after my mom died in Feb. 2005, so it is a little ironic....and meaningful...that Dad had unknowingly put together a cruise that will take place in June after he died in Feb. this year.

Dad's GF still plans to go as well, and we support that decision. She was booked in a room with him; and each of the siblings and their families / guests have separate rooms. Dad's GF will now have a room of her own.

Dad did buy insurance. I have no idea what to do now. Do I contact the insurance company? My TA? Both? I haven't had time to dig around enough to figure out what happens to an ES booking if a person dies leaving a single passenger. Does anyone have any advice or information to share?

TIA

Oh my goodness. I don't have an answer for your question, but just wanted to give my condolences for your loss. How sad for you and your siblings.

But I'm sure your Dad would be pleased that he was able to give you the gift of a cruise, that you can honor his memory. Obviously he loved cruising.

So sorry to hear this.

Carnival should be able to refund the money (at the very least OBC). Contact them and explain to them what happened. Unfortunately a death certificate may be required.

So sorry again.

As I read this tears are streaming down my face. I too lost my mom suddenly three weeks ago. My parents were married over 50 years. I will pray for you and your family. And I'm happy to read your dad started a new life with a new lady. That gives me hope for my dad.

Hugs!!! My mother in law died 4 days before a Disney cruise. Unfortunately, she did not have insurance. My FIL went anyway, with some of DH's siblings. It was so therapeutic for him. He swears it helped him get through it.

No idea on the insurance though. However, the GF may have to pay a single supplement if she is the only person in her room.

I am talking about not having trip insurance-you booked ES, therefore no exchanges on who travels in the room. From what I have read over the years, that since your father wont be there(I am so sorry about that) his GF will have the cabin to herself, and they will refund to you any prepaid tips (from his side of the account) but a single is a double-there are no single prices. They should refund the taxes, from one half of the fare, and pre paid tips.

My brother and I are not close at all-both adopted but not related. My Dad had a small reunion for my brother, his wife, their kids, and me. I had never met my neice and nephew until then-we all had a good time, and a week later my Dad had a heart attack-he survived, but only lived one year longer. I saw my brother at the funeral, and that was in 1998. I am sorry for your loss, but your Dad did good, by making your family a tight family and a loving family.

Unfortunately and unexpectedly' date=' Dad passed away last week. :(

TIA[/quote']

As I read this tears are streaming down my face. I too lost my mom suddenly three weeks ago. My parents were married over 50 years. I will pray for you and your family. And I'm happy to read your dad started a new life with a new lady. That gives me hope for my dad.

I am so sorry for the loss both of you have experienced. Losing a parent is never easy, regardless of the circumstances.

I have never had to deal with this situation when traveling, however, I would contact 1) the person (TA or PVP) who booked the cruise and discuss the situation with him/her and 2) the insurance provider. These two should be able to give you further direction. As has been stated, OBC at least should be able to be refunded.

I wish you both, and your families, peace and healing.

I am so very sorry for you and your family's loss. Your dad's GF will have the cabin to herself and will not have to pay anything extra. You need to call the company your dad purchased the travel insurance with and they will give you the steps you need to follow to get his money back for the cruise. My family was going to go on a cruise this past Dec and my mom, MIL and one of my kids were staying in a cabin but a month before we were supposed to go my mom was diagnosed with cancer so she and my MIL did not go. My son still stayed in that room (my TA moved cabins around and we had connecting cabins so kids stayed in one and we stayed in the other) and he was not charged any more because he was a single in a room. So glad you and your family are still going on the cruise.

My sweet Daddy offered to take our whole family (my family' date=' sister's family, brother & GF, and Dad's GF) on a cruise this summer. We booked ES, and final payment is due in a few weeks. We are a very tight-knit family, especially since we lost our Mom (my Dad's bride of almost 40 years) 8 years ago to cancer. This would have been our 2nd whole-family cruise (but my 11th).

Unfortunately and unexpectedly, Dad passed away last week. :( We are heartbroken, but since my siblings and I are so very close, we plan to still go on the cruise to honor Dad. We went on a cruise together in June after my mom died in Feb. 2005, so it is a little ironic....and meaningful...that Dad had unknowingly put together a cruise that will take place in June after he died in Feb. this year.

Dad's GF still plans to go as well, and we support that decision. She was booked in a room with him; and each of the siblings and their families / guests have separate rooms. Dad's GF will now have a room of her own.

Dad did buy insurance. I have no idea what to do now. Do I contact the insurance company? My TA? Both? I haven't had time to dig around enough to figure out what happens to an ES booking if a person dies leaving a single passenger. Does anyone have any advice or information to share?

TIA[/quote']

I had a similar occurrence last year. My husband of 41 years and I had planned a cruise . On Tuesday we paid off the cruise ES(with Carnival insurance) and on the following Saturday(4 days later) he passed away unexpectedly. I called Carnival and they said no problem you have insurance. I had to fax a copy of the death certificate and they handled everything else. I did the cruise in his memory with the oldest son and his family. Carnival even substituted the oldest granddaughter into my room with no charge. So sorry for your loss and will be thinking of your family.

OP, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a great way for your entire family to get together and honor your father. I've already told my DD that when I die, I want her to have me cremated and go on many cruises and spread a tiny bit of my ashes on each. We love to cruise together. :o

You might consider getting the entire family together on the cruise and doing an excursion that your father would have particularly enjoyed as a way to honor him. Or if he enjoyed the steakhouse, you could eat there one evening. There are many ways to honor him. I used to be a grief counselor and I know how cathartic things like that can be.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry for the recent loss of your dear daddy.

My condolences to the others who also posted their stories.

I just canceled my cruise which was to be sailing next week, only the death was because of my dog. I can't leave the other dog alone so soon, she is lost without her brother. They were together since the day they were born. I know a dog doesn't compare to an actual person but they are my children since I am childless.

I hope you have a nice cruise that become fond memories even though it may be hard to get through it.

My condolences to all who suffered a loss here .

To the Op, I have never been a big wake and funeral person. 4 hours of being on display all dressed up in a funeral home hearing "I am so sorry" "What happened?" "He looks good" over and over again .

Your dad gave you all a wonderful gift. Of course you will miss him and the trip will be bittersweet. But go and remember this is his gift and he would want you to enjoy. He will be there with you.

To me that is the best memorial you can give him.

Archived