Opinions needed on MSC excursions vs. others

CarolinaMamma

We just booked a rather last-minute cruise on Preziosa March 31 out of Genoa. This will be our first MSC cruise, as well as our first med cruise, and I have not had time to do all the research I normally do. It seems that there are some mixed reviews of MSC's shore excursions. Anyone have opinions to share? And if you are not a fan if MSC excursions, are there any good private operators you can recommend in Genoa, Naples, Sicily, Tunisia, Barcelona or Marseille?

We just booked a rather last-minute cruise on Preziosa March 31 out of Genoa. This will be our first MSC cruise, as well as our first med cruise, and I have not had time to do all the research I normally do. It seems that there are some mixed reviews of MSC's shore excursions. Anyone have opinions to share? And if you are not a fan if MSC excursions, are there any good private operators you can recommend in Genoa, Naples, Sicily, Tunisia, Barcelona or Marseille?

I'm not the best person to be answering this as I'm not a lover of any kind of organised excursion, rarely do them and prefer to explore on my own.

However I do know the one of the main downsides to booking with MSC particularly in the Med are there are very few English speaking passengers onboard and this means that occasionally a tour does not have enough people booked on it, to go ahead. This can lead to either the tour being cancelled at just a day's notice (as they leave it as long as possible in the hope of getting late bookings to reach the minimum numbers) or it being combined with another language tour (provided the guide is multiple lingual). Theynwill sometimes switch you to another tour.

The problem is with private tours, you are likely to have the same issues that some will want a certain number of people. You don't say how many of you are going, so if you are a larger family group rather than just 2 of you, perhaps less of an issue. Private tours for just 2 will be tailored to what you want but be much more expensive.

If you prefer the security of the ship's excursions as this is your first time in this area, then be prepared to be flexible in your choice of tours. If there is a specific place in a port you absolutely wantmto go to, then research a plan B, like a taxi tour, Hop on Hop Off bus or even local transport as alternativesmin case the MSC tour gets cancelled. For the more popular sights, there are often more than one tour incorporating it.

If you don't have "must dos" and just want a feel for the different places, use the shuttle bus and just explore on foot.

Thank you. That's very helpful. We are a family of 5, kids are 13, 9 and 6.

In general, I do not like being herded in large groups, especially on buses, but with 5 of us, it is hard to just grab a taxi. We usually need to reserve some sort of larger vehicle.

I also hate, hate, hate, the cruise lines pushing jewelry, etc. we are not there to shop. We would like to explore these beautiful ports, see some historic sites, and maybe try some good food.

In the past, we have done a mix of ship's excursions and our own. We have most enjoyed private tours for just our family or small group tours of twelve people or less

We've not done any of MSC's excursions, for the reasons AmoMondo gave as well as for cost, which can really add up for a family of 5. We have visitied Naples and Barcelona and done it strictly "on our own" (guidebooks, public transportation, and walking), and plan the same for Genoa and Marseille on our upcoming cruise. I'm sure Sicily would be would be easy enough on your own as well. Not sure about Tunisia...we have a stop in Casablanca next month and I'm still working on that one. But unless money is no object, I think it's worth considering going "guide-free", so you can go exactly where you want and when you want, and save a bundle as well.

The ports section of the CC boards are very helpful for private tour recommendations (or DIY advice, if you decide to try that). Unfortunately the MSC roll calls are not usually very active, so if you're hoping to share a private tour with fellow passengers you might not find anyone, but it's worth checking your sailing's roll call.

Carolinamama .... In Barcelona you can take the usual Free courtesy bus to the Christopher Columbus Column which is at the bottom of Las Ramblas to the bus terminus and where you catch the bus back to the ship, from there you can take the Ho Ho bus which stops almost at the same place. I am sure the last time we were there that there were some Taxi`s that were people carriers and hold around 7 or 8 people.

Pluto fan .... If you are going to visit the Hassan 2 mosque (2nd largest in the world) be aware that it can take around 30 minutes to walk there as we did, best to jump in a cab and get dropped off outside but make sure you are insistant where you want to go.

In the afternoon after we had been to the mosque and back to the ship for food we decided to go to the Old Medina just outside the port but still quite a walk, the taxi driver did his best to try to get us to go to the new Medina some 20 minutes drive away and in the end we basically had to make him stop near the old one. Could be we just had an awkward one.

If you visit the Old medina be sure to keep money well hidden because it can be packed in some of the streets and quiet in others.

Thanks, all. Maybe we will do DIY in all ports except Tunisia, which is the one that makes me a little nervous.

Sidari, would you recommend Old Medina for a family traveling with kids? If there is a lot of pick pocketing, sometimes it can be hard to keep an eye on your kids and your possessions if it is really crowded and people are bumping up against you. I would not plan to do a lot of shopping, so it the "atmosphere" and experience worth a visit. We definitely want to see Carthage, and for our second stop, either old Medina or the fishing village with the blue and white houses, Which of those two would you recommend?

What do y'all think of taxi drivers in Italy? Can they be trusted?

The Medina we visited was in Casablanca i notice that you are going to Tunis which is quite some way off, i have no idea what the Medina at Carthage or Tunis is like.

For Naples you could try a tour to Pompeii or Herculaneum which i am sure you will find fascinating, i have added a link below for Herculaneum.

There is also a Ho Ho bus in Naples which goes up to the big Fortress that overlooks the bay of Naples and the Port with stunning views of Vesuvius, there is also a museum there which is worth a look at.

I have added a link for an Interactive map of Naples, when it opens the port and Terminal building is to the Right and as you move the map the Fortress is directly to the left. There is also a smaller Castle directly across the road to the Left from the port building where you come out.

AS you leave the port building you will see the Fortress above you on the hill though i would not advise that you try to walk up there as it is quite a long way.

Hope some of this helps.

http://www.italyguides.it/us/napoli/interactive_map_of_naples/map_of_naples.php

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Italy/Campania/Herculaneum-151418/TravelGuide-Herculaneum.html

http://www.mummytombs.com/pompeii/visiting.herculaneum.htm

In Naples we walked to outside thenprot gates and got a taxi to take us to the railway station (I believe it's walking distance but I'd forgotten to bring the instructions!). We then got the train to Pompeii. Itbtakes about 30-35 minutes. The entrance to the site is very near the exit to the station - just down the road a little so impossible to getnlost or miss it. We then returned to the station and continued on to Orrento which is a further half an hour up the same line. Entire cost of trains fro 2 and taxis to from Naple Station to the port was 20€ for 2.

Doing both was a bit tight for time but was still easy and enjoyable. I actually wish he'd we hadn't spend quite so much time at Pompeii (an hour would have suited me fine instead of the 2 and a half) and had much longer in beautiful Sorrento. Had an amazing pizza there for lunch just a bit down the road from the station

You'll be able to get timetables and ticket prices this year on Trenitalia's website

On short notice, if this is your first time in Europe, you might want to stick with ship tours. Things work slightly different over there and it can be a little confusing, especially if you haven't done your homework. In Tunis, I would suggest a ship tour.

Having said that, Genoa, Sicily, and Barcelona are easy. (Never been to Naples). If you are adventurous, go for it and do it yourself! :D

We've travelled a lot in Europe, both my husband and I regularly visited European relatives as children, both did a junior year abroad in Germany, made a few trips back in our twenties, and we have been in Budapest for six months on an expat assignment. My husband has been to Italy, but I have not, and I understand things like train schedules are a little more "laid back" there.

Having looked at the MSC website, I can't say I am super impressed with the shore excursion offerings, as far as what you get for the price. A lot of them would amount to $500 for our family for a glorified bus ride. I think sticking with the ship's excursions in Tunis is a good idea though.

MSC charges kids above 3, and since you have family of 5, it may be worthwhile to explore private guide in Tunis, as it would be cheaper and more flexible.

In Barcelona, there are cheaper port shuttle bus (3.5 euro) than MSC's official shuttle bus (8 euro) too. In Marseille, MSC shuttle bus is 15 euro, so it may be a good idea to check out 6-pax taxi. My friend told me she negotiated one in Feb, 30 euro from the cruise terminal to the old port for 6 adults.

We've travelled a lot in Europe, both my husband and I regularly visited European relatives as children, both did a junior year abroad in Germany, made a few trips back in our twenties, and we have been in Budapest for six months on an expat assignment. My husband has been to Italy, but I have not, and I understand things like train schedules are a little more "laid back" there.

Having looked at the MSC website, I can't say I am super impressed with the shore excursion offerings, as far as what you get for the price. A lot of them would amount to $500 for our family for a glorified bus ride. I think sticking with the ship's excursions in Tunis is a good idea though.

Oh, well you're an Old Pro.... Go For It!! :D

Thanks for the helpful info. Lots of good stuff on the ports site, too.

How can I find out where the ship will be tendered vs. docked (Naples, Messina, Tunis (La Goulette), Barcelona, Marseille) and how long before sailing does MSC want you back on the ship? Trying to figure out how much time we really have at each port so I can plan. Have heard Mac tenders are a bit disorganized with no proper queuing, and this is a brand new ship so they may not have the process down yet. If we are rendering at any of these ports, I need to allow a lot of time.

Been to all those ports several times except Messina and none were tender ports. The MSC website shows whether it is docked or tendered under the cruise details for each cruise (or at least the UK one does)

Last all aboard time is always half an hour before sailing time.

Messina is a moored port and just a few minutes walk into town and the wonderful clock tower with its crowing moving Cockerel and Roaring Lion, people gather to watch the show on the hour. Here is a link for you below, many people book trips to Taormina along the coast but miss the Clock Tower show. The Train ships also come into Messina from the mainland, when leaving Messina be on the Starboard side and there is a good chance you may see Dolphins as we did as the ship got out of the port.

Pluto fan .... If you are going to visit the Hassan 2 mosque (2nd largest in the world) be aware that it can take around 30 minutes to walk there as we did, best to jump in a cab and get dropped off outside but make sure you are insistant where you want to go.

In the afternoon after we had been to the mosque and back to the ship for food we decided to go to the Old Medina just outside the port but still quite a walk, the taxi driver did his best to try to get us to go to the new Medina some 20 minutes drive away and in the end we basically had to make him stop near the old one. Could be we just had an awkward one.

sidari--Thanks for sharing your experience. Unfortunately, the day we will be in Casablanca is a Friday, and the Hassan II mosque will be closed to visitors. Is it worth going to see the just the outside? I'm thinking of taking the train to Rabat.

In Marseille, MSC shuttle bus is 15 euro, so it may be a good idea to check out 6-pax taxi. My friend told me she negotiated one in Feb, 30 euro from the cruise terminal to the old port for 6 adults.

sthelder, thank you as well. Do you know if your friend pre-arranged the large taxi, or were there some waiting at the dock? I'm not crazy about paying 90 Euros for the six of us for the MSC shuttle just to get into town, but I'm also concerned that we won't all fit into a regular cab.

CarolinaMamma...sorry, back to your thread!

They told me they only need to walk a short distance to the taxi station, somewhere in the cruise terminal. Not pre-booked, but just chose the larger one available.

Also for the record, for kids below 14, the shuttle bus price is either 1/2 or 2/3 of an adult price (euro 15), but as they took taxi, they didn't take note of the exact price.

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked for the Lirica in October. I have spent a lot of time researching excursions, being in the travel trade, I expect the best for me and my clients/friends. Which I found.

I found a British company who set up a great itinerary for me, much lower in price then MSC.

cruisingexcursionsdotcom

Good luck

sidari-- Do you know if your friend pre-arranged the large taxi, or were there some waiting at the dock? I'm not crazy about paying 90 Euros for the six of us for the MSC shuttle just to get into town, but I'm also concerned that we won't all fit into a regular cab.

CarolinaMamma...sorry, back to your thread!

Just back from MSC Splendida on 4th March. Stopped Marseille on Sunday 3rd March. The walk from where the ship docks to the No. 35 bus is really straightforward, just follow the painted green line:) and you can't miss it up a slight incline to your left. It is about 1.5 km though so depends on the weather. The single fare for the bus into Marseille is 1.8 euro. It runs very regularly but as it was a Sunday, it was every half hour. The stop that you get off is where you get back on. So for 5 people, a good saving. Unfortunately, we didn't stay long, all shops closed and the town desserted although perhaps we could have taken the Metro to somewhere but hadn' researched.

I am booked for the Lirica in October. I have spent a lot of time researching excursions, being in the travel trade, I expect the best for me and my clients/friends. Which I found.

I found a British company who set up a great itinerary for me, much lower in price then MSC.

cruisingexcursionsdotcom

Good luck

Have you used them before? I read a post on the ports board, or maybe it was tripadvisor, that said they were great when they showed up, but they no-showed at several ports and there was no emergency number to call.

Just back from MSC Splendida on 4th March. Stopped Marseille on Sunday 3rd March. The walk from where the ship docks to the No. 35 bus is really straightforward, just follow the painted green line:) and you can't miss it up a slight incline to your left. It is about 1.5 km though so depends on the weather. The single fare for the bus into Marseille is 1.8 euro. It runs very regularly but as it was a Sunday, it was every half hour. The stop that you get off is where you get back on. So for 5 people, a good saving. Unfortunately, we didn't stay long, all shops closed and the town desserted although perhaps we could have taken the Metro to somewhere but hadn' researched.

Thank you--that's very helpful! We would definitely do this, but my mother-in-law (age 78) will be with us and I'm not sure if she will be up for the walk to the bus stop. I think we will wait and see exactly where we are docked and how she's feeling, or whether we can find a taxi to fit all six of us.

Thanks for telling me. I wil speak to them personally and have them explain themselves.

No shows are completely unacceptable, but I have never had a no show before.

I will report what they have to say for themselves

• 4 months later...

Hi Amo Mondo, We will be on our first cruise, Costa Fascinosa, in Naples on a Thursday from 8am til 1pm. Will we have time for an hour in Pompeii and a drive along the Amalfi coast? Maybe including lunch? We will hire a driver/guide if we have to to do both.

Thanks for the detal on the train above, very helpful

Hi I havent read al;l posts above but agree with doing Naples yourself.

Either go to Pompeii (easy to do yourself) or get the ferry over to Isle of Capri. We did that. It's a great island. Get the ealy ferry (8am), get the fenicular then bus then chairlift straight to the top, then slowly haed back down (saves crowds that way). Then do the boat tour around the island. Amazing day.

We'd seen Pompeii so did that this time. Some people did a tour around Naples (and some did their own thing) but I think the other 2 options are more interesting.

We did a few tours with MSC (not at yuour ports). The prices weren't too bad and they were well organised.

Archived