Caribbean SHIP Time vs Actual Port Time 3/23 - 3/30 Caribbean

cathydev

I am sailing on Carnival Liberty 3/23 and the itinerary shows arrival and depart time for each port. I am assuming that is SHIP TIME. With that said, ports are different so I noted below the SHIP TIME vs ACTUAL Port time. Mainly because I am doing excursions on my own. I posted this in the rollcall forum but have not had a reply yet. The Liberty sails out of Miami so it's on Florida (EST) for duration of cruise.

I would like confirmation that my calculations are correct. A two hour time swing makes a BIG difference. And I don't want to mess up and miss the ship departure from port.

Cozumel 3/25 8 am to 6 pm SHIP TIME in port

Actual time in Cozumel (CST) 6 am to 4 pm

US DST starts 3/10 but Cozumel does not start until 4/7. From 3/10 to 4/7 Cozumel is 2 hours behind Florida time.

Belize 3/26

SHIP TIME in port 9am to 6 pm

Belize time will be 7 am to 4 pm

Belize does not recognize DST

Roatan 3/27

SHIP TIME in port 8 am to 3 pm

Roatan time will be 6 am to 1 pm

Roatan does not recognize DST

Grand Cayman 3/28

SHIP TIME in port 10 am to 6 pm

Cayman time will be 9 am to 5 pm

Cayman does not recognize DST

I am sailing on Carnival Liberty 3/23 and the itinerary shows arrival and depart time for each port. I am assuming that is SHIP TIME. With that said, ports are different so I noted below the SHIP TIME vs ACTUAL Port time. Mainly because I am doing excursions on my own. I posted this in the rollcall forum but have not had a reply yet. The Liberty sails out of Miami so it's on Florida (EST) for duration of cruise.

I would like confirmation that my calculations are correct. A two hour time swing makes a BIG difference. And I don't want to mess up and miss the ship departure from port.

Cozumel 3/25 8 am to 6 pm SHIP TIME in port

Actual time in Cozumel (CST) 6 am to 4 pm

US DST starts 3/10 but Cozumel does not start until 4/7. From 3/10 to 4/7 Cozumel is 2 hours behind Florida time.

Belize 3/26

SHIP TIME in port 9am to 6 pm

Belize time will be 7 am to 4 pm

Belize does not recognize DST

Roatan 3/27

SHIP TIME in port 8 am to 3 pm

Roatan time will be 6 am to 1 pm

Roatan does not recognize DST

Grand Cayman 3/28

SHIP TIME in port 10 am to 6 pm

Cayman time will be 9 am to 5 pm

Cayman does not recognize DST

Those times seem correct. That's what they were on my Liberty cruise in December. Ship time will always remain Miami time.

Those times seem correct. That's what they were on my Liberty cruise in December. Ship time will always remain Miami time.

Yep look right to me.

Don't fret though. Vendors, excursion operators and beach resorts are wll aware of these differences and most of them will be able to accomodate your visit. DO NOT, whatever you do, change your watch to port time. And DO NOT attempt to use your cell phone as a watch while in port.

That's interesting. When I took and NCL cruise out of NOLA to that part of the Caribbean, the ship change time twice I think. Once in one direction and once the other direction. I don't know if it matched up with local time or not, but they left little cards on the bed in the room instructing us when to change times. That was April 2011, so DST may have been part of the reason. I wonder how they decide whether to change time on the ship. It seems like NCL made a different decision than Carnival.

I would have said the same thing - expect it was NOT the case for our Breeze sailing a few weeks ago. We changed the clocks one hour the first day at sea and then back the last day at sea.

It's been "forever" since we did that on a Carnival cruise...so I was surprised!

I would have said the same thing - expect it was NOT the case for our Breeze sailing a few weeks ago. We changed the clocks one hour the first day at sea and then back the last day at sea.

It's been "forever" since we did that on a Carnival cruise...so I was surprised!

Oh Ok. I wonder what factors the ship time change ??

I was on the Liberty then onto the Breeze in December and on both cruises we did not change times.

On the Glory to the Western ports last March it was just after we changed clocks in the US (we left the 18th). From everything we had read Carnival stays on embarkation port time.

However when we boarded we found out that the first night of the cruise we would change an hour.

It made for close calls in our (non carnival excursions) in both Roatan & Grand Cayman - but they could tell the ship was late so they waited for us. We however didn’t know that and raced to get off the ship – but were the first people to check in at both places. In Grand Cayman someone also was able to send an e-mail in one of the previous ports using WiFi from a place they were at.

Archived