Polynesian show at hotel or Roulettes in Tahiti

lrcruising

We will be in Papeete for only one night and will be staying at the Intercontinental Resort. They have a Polynesian show the night we will be there but we also heard going to the Roulettes in town at night is fun too.

Any thoughts from anyone who has done either or both?

Both are great fun. The roulottes are great places to eat on the cheap and there are usually people playing/singing.

The IC Tahiti is one of the best floor shows in all of FP.

You can eat at the roulottes (open at 6:00 pm) and then go back to the IC by the time the show starts (usually around 8:30 - 9:00) .......... best of both

As stated before you can easily do both. Yes there might be shows around the globe but after 18 trips to the South Pacific I personally know the show at the IC is one of the very best for Polynesian dance done in a professional way.

I remember a very small show we went to on Aitutaki way back before it became touristy. It was like you were invited to a private party at the local watering hole ........ to this day we talk about how wonderful that experience was. So it doesn't need to be on the big stage to make it the best or with 60 dancers ......... it's all about the delivery and the dancers I've seen and the mamas deliver well.

You won't see food trucks in Huston that are similar to the ones you see in FP. Things are a bit more 'open' and informal in FP. The health department of Huston would shut down 3/4 of the food trucks in FP. That is not to say it's unsafe to eat from the roulottes in FP.

Some of the things I've seen at the roulottes are unreal ......

As I said, do both. Get to the roulottes at 6:00 pm and eat. Hang around for an hour to catch the 'show' around the roulottes. Then head over to the IC and watch the great floor show ...... what a great evening you will have :D

We had dinner at the IC. the show is included with the cost of dinner and the food was fantastic. You can order off the menu or have the buffet. It was nice just to hang out at the resort the one day we were there, as we were jet lagged. Our ship did an overnight in Tahiti so we ate at the roulottes that night. We had crepes and they were delicious. Having done both, I wouldn't miss the show at the IC. by the time you pay for a cab you neutralize the cost savings. Enjoy your trip.

• 3 months later...
Both are great fun. The roulottes are great places to eat on the cheap and there are usually people playing/singing.

The IC Tahiti is one of the best floor shows in all of FP.

You can eat at the roulottes (open at 6:00 pm) and then go back to the IC by the time the show starts (usually around 8:30 - 9:00) .......... best of both

How late do the roulottes stay open? We pull in at 8:00 p.m. and pull out at 5:00 p.m. the following day on the Golden Princess. I'm thinking we may be too late the day we arrive and leave too early the following day:-(.

Do both as Tiki suggests. Have the regular dinner at the IC at the time the show is and save a lot of $$$. The buffet is mediocre and not worth the money. Awesome crepes at the Roulettes. Never miss a chance to go there.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We ate at the Roulettes this past Friday evening. If you are in the neighborhood it is great as the prices are quite inexpensive (1350 Francs for a steak and a mound of fries at Dominiques - all the trucks have some name advertised). They open at 6:00 pm and run quite late. While the food was good and the atmosphere nice IMHO I would not go out of my way to eat there (I would walk but not take a taxi). There may be some music at times but not when we were there. From a hotel, before 8:00 pm, a taxi will be in the $20 USD minimum range. After 8:00 pm it goes up by 1000 Francs or $12.00.. From the IC it will be at least this amount. To spend in excess of $50 to get to/from the food trucks, IMHO is not worthwhile.

If you are on a cruise ship it makes sense to check it out if what is happening on the ship is not to your liking. Again, these are simply food trucks. It is amazing that they set up each evening and put out up to 100 chairs per truck but it is really not entertainment.

Archived