14 day VS 7 Day Honeymoon Dilemma

realb

We are getting married June 23, 2006 and planning a Mediterranean cruise for our honeymoon. We have narrowed it down to either the Owners suite on Legend of the Seas’ 14 Night Mediterranean Classic cruise or a courtyard penthouse on Norwegian Jewel’s 7 day Mediterranean Europe cruise. From my research I have gathered that Norwegian Jewel is by far the better ship being brand new (coming into service in August 05) with new features such as a semi-private courtyard with pool, and being with NCL which many people have said is better for romantic getaways.

This would be an easy decision except that the Legend has a 14 day itinerary and, having never been to Europe, I am exited about the prospect of spending 2 weeks on a ship and getting to see allot more of Europe at the same time.

Norwegian Jewel Itinerary:

Praira Da Rocha, Gibraltar, Civitavecchia/Rome, Villefranche, Ajaccio, Barcelona, Lisbon, Vigo

Legend of the Seas Itinerary:

Praira Da Rocha, Gibraltar, Civitavecchia/Rome, Villefranche, Ajaccio, Barcelona, Lisbon, Vigo Praira Da Rocha, Gibraltar, Civitavecchia/Rome, Villefranche, Ajaccio, Barcelona, Lisbon, Vigo

Having read some of the posts about Legend of the Seas’s not so good cuisine, less than stellar condition and shortened list of amenities for suites, I am no longer so sure that 14 days on an OK ship will be more rewarding than 7 days on a awesome vessel. What are your opinions? Would the extras on the Norwegian Jewel really be worth giving up the extra 7 days?

Thanks for any unput u can give

Not even close...I'd take the 14 day itinerary. 7 days is way to short for a Mediterranean cruise.

What about other choices? Celebrity and Princess do 10 day sailings, and I'd consider both of those cruiselines superior to NCL or RCI.

Why not take the better 7 day cruise and then stay 7 more days on the continent for a land tour....or rent a villa in Tuscany and just enjoy making small side trips..You would then get the European experience as well as enjoy the new ship..

I would not consider the NCL Jewel superior to Legend. The cabins you describe, yes, and also the newness, but IMHO, new has nothing to do with better.

I love the Med but prefer a 10 day with 4-5 pre or post cruise spend on land in the city of my choice. Celebrity has some great options, as does Brilliance.

NCL and RCI are very different. RCI has traditional dining, NCL has Freestyle. The only memorable meals I have had on NCL are in the ala carte restaurants.

Service on RCI is warm and professional. I found the mostly Eastern European staff on my last 4 NCL cruises to be friendly but not as well trained.

For me, I would chose an older RCI ship over a newer NCL, but that is because what is important to me is not having a huge, deluxe cabin (especially in the Med where the ports are the biggest draw). It is about the total package.

I would choose a Radiance class RCI ship or Celebrity over NCL.

I am not a NCL fan, all that glitters is not gold. A week in Europe is no where near enough time to rationalize the expense in just getting to and from.

I usually suggest Jewel. And if you've the time and funds, I would also suggest heading over to England for a precruise mini vacation. I use to live in Southampton years ago, London is one of my favorite places in the world.

It's a fab place, easy to get around. And that will most definetly give you some extra time. You can book some coach or train tours if you want to see other areas of the UK. Then pick up Jewel and head off for the European cruise.

I always suggest a cruise to my first time Europe people. It's so easy! You don't have to worry about a foreign language, reading street signs and driving and in general feeling like a fish out of water.

You also don't have the problem of booking a two week land vacation in a foreign country and two days into the vacation finding out you just hate where you are!

Cruises are a great way to 'dabble' in Europe. A taste of this, a sample of that. They you can return to your favorite haunts in years to come.

If I can be of help drop me a line tinsel57@hotmail.com

Archived