Travelling solo

Hi, just wondered what it is like to be a solo traveller on the Radiance. I previously have done around 8 cruises with my husband, but I am now a widow and this will be my first solo cruise. I am travelling from the UK to Australia to do the Australia/New Zealand tour,staying a couple of nights in Perth, then a week with friends in Sydney when I disembark. I am flying Emirates and this will be my first time flying with them but I believe they are well recommended for long haul flights. Have booked to join a table of 10 as we always did this and found it a nice way to get to know people. Looking forward to the cruise very much although slightly apprehensive. :)

Hi, just wondered what it is like to be a solo traveller on the Radiance. I previously have done around 8 cruises with my husband, but I am now a widow and this will be my first solo cruise. I am travelling from the UK to Australia to do the Australia/New Zealand tour,staying a couple of nights in Perth, then a week with friends in Sydney when I disembark. I am flying Emirates and this will be my first time flying with them but I believe they are well recommended for long haul flights. Have booked to join a table of 10 as we always did this and found it a nice way to get to know people. Looking forward to the cruise very much although slightly apprehensive. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I'm a long time solo traveler/cruiser and your trip sounds wonderful. I understand your apprehension and would like to suggest a few ways to ease you into your first solo cruise experience. First, since you have joined CC, sign up for the roll call for your cruise. You can find it by going to Roll Calls on the main forum, selecting Royal Caribbean, then Radiance and find you sailing date. If one hasn't been started you can start one. Roll calls are a great way to meet others who will be cruising with you and most have group activities like a pre-M&M (Meet & Mingle), slot pulls, cabin crawls, etc. Also, if there is a particular tour you want to do in port you can ask others on your roll call if they are interested in doing it too. Last year a group of us took a great tour in St. Maarten and another group had a wonderful dinner in Aruba.

I like to have a large table for dinner, too, and as a solo it makes for a nice way to hear what others did in port and sometimes we have made plans to go to shows together. I would also recommend if you are going on an excursion solo you book it through the ship. It costs a bit more but I think the security of knowing you will get back to the ship on time is worth it, plus you will be with others from your ship and it is a great way to make new friends.

One of the things that is best about solo cruising (besides not having to share those tiny cabin bathrooms:D) is you have the freedom to be on your own or join in group activities. I like time on my own to just laze about but also enjoy meeting and spending time with others. Cruisers, as you know, are a very friendly and social group. Also, there are boards on CC for solo and single cruisers, you should check them out. The solo board is fairly active and you can get answers and advice from others who have cruised solo/single.

Have a great cruise:)

Hey

I too am now a solo cruiser.

Use to go with my sons but they are grown up now and wont go with

me anymore. But im not going to stop cruising just cause im solo. I went

solo for the first time last year. It really does have its advantages and I

love doing my own thing. I hate paying for the price of two but I dont know if i would want to share a cabin now after going solo.

You would be surprised at how many do go solo now.

I was, so go and have fun.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I'm a long time solo traveler/cruiser and your trip sounds wonderful. I understand your apprehension and would like to suggest a few ways to ease you into your first solo cruise experience. First, since you have joined CC, sign up for the roll call for your cruise. You can find it by going to Roll Calls on the main forum, selecting Royal Caribbean, then Radiance and find you sailing date. If one hasn't been started you can start one. Roll calls are a great way to meet others who will be cruising with you and most have group activities like a pre-M&M (Meet & Mingle), slot pulls, cabin crawls, etc. Also, if there is a particular tour you want to do in port you can ask others on your roll call if they are interested in doing it too. Last year a group of us took a great tour in St. Maarten and another group had a wonderful dinner in Aruba.

I like to have a large table for dinner, too, and as a solo it makes for a nice way to hear what others did in port and sometimes we have made plans to go to shows together. I would also recommend if you are going on an excursion solo you book it through the ship. It costs a bit more but I think the security of knowing you will get back to the ship on time is worth it, plus you will be with others from your ship and it is a great way to make new friends.

One of the things that is best about solo cruising (besides not having to share those tiny cabin bathrooms:D) is you have the freedom to be on your own or join in group activities. I like time on my own to just laze about but also enjoy meeting and spending time with others. Cruisers, as you know, are a very friendly and social group. Also, there are boards on CC for solo and single cruisers, you should check them out. The solo board is fairly active and you can get answers and advice from others who have cruised solo/single.

Have a great cruise:)

Thank u both for your replies. I will certainly register for the roll call and u have both helped put my mind at rest. My husband and I did a few trips to the Caribbean but we never got to Australia so this will be a first also. Really can look forward to it now. Thanks again.

Anne

My condolences on your loss. I think their are probably more solo cruisers than you think. Have you joined the Roll Call for your particular cruise? You might be able make some new friends prior to boarding. Have a great trip.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

My condolences on your loss.

Here is a direct link to the

Solo Cruisers - Cruise Critic Message Boards

-- a good place to chat with other solo cruisers in advance of your cruise.

Right near the top of the first page there is currently a thread titled

Recent widow, thinking about solo cruise

Some cruises even hold special get togethers for those who are traveling alone. I don't remember whether or not they did that on the Radiance, but maybe someone else here will know.

Emirates has a great reputation and is a highly regarded airline.

People on cruise ships are very friendly and you should do fine.

If you are at all apprehensive about port excursions on your own, just book the ship's excursions and you should feel very comfortable.

Even women who are not traveling solo often do that when they want to go on an excursion and their companions would rather do something else instead.

You may want to send a message in advance to RCLDining@rccl.com with a request to be seated at a table with other solo cruisers.

But it may not do any good so check with the maitre d' or dining room manager (whatever title they currently use) after you board the ship.

If you are using a travel agent, also ask the TA to put a notation in your record for you as to your table preference.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I have cruised solo many times and to tell you the truth, I am spoiled. You get to do what you want when you want. And no waiting for the shower! I sometimes get a large table and other times I do MTD. Remember, if you don't like your table, don't think twice about asking for a new one. I should have done that on one of my cruises but didn't. I did switch tables when I was seated at a table for four instead of ten. I second joining the roll call. I am usually a shy person but for some reason, when I cruise solo, I am not as shy.

Enjoy your cruise and be sure to tell us all about itwhen you get back. I may do an Aussie cruise in the future.

Judy

Started out cruising with my parents 20 years ago, they've both since passed away and for the last 5 I've been cruising solo. I have a great time, I always request a large table and always end up making friends, just like we all did when travelling together. As someone else noted - having the cabin (and bathroom) to yourself and being able to do what you want when you want is kind of nice too.

I've flown emirates a lot between London and Thailand - they're great. Good food, friendly service, nice planes, and probably the best on board entertainment of any airline - certainly the most programming. Be sure and check out the "belly cam" it's a completely different view! The only downside, if there is one, is their planes are always full - so no chance of getting a couple seats to yourself :rolleyes:.

Lydia

Ah yes, the Serenade! That was the first ship that on which I cruised solo (Alaska). Single dad here and I too was a little apprehensive for many reasons. I had the best time and met many great folks. Sense then I have cruised many times solo and each time has been a fantastic experience.

Like another poster said, sorry for your loss; I find cruising is also a great time to center and reflect.

On a side note, I did invite a buddy to join me a year ago. I learned a hard lesson: NEVER do that again! (Unless it is a relationship or they have their own cabin!) :)

Serenade is a great ship, one of favorite, if not my favorite class of ship.

• 1 year later...

I too am recently widowed and we had been avid cruisers. In order to get back slowly to cruising I am taking all my children and grandchildren on Liberty for Thanksgiving. If this goes well I am going to book a solo cruise to see how I do. All of your posts have helped me make this decision. Thank you all for taking time to give encouragement to those of us that are trying to get back to cruising after a loss. It means a lot.

I did a 28 day land/sea tour in OZ/NZ as a solo including Perth and Sydney. This was on Voyager of the Seas 2 years ago. No problems at all and made great friends.

You're going to have a wonderful time.

There were days when I wanted to be a slug on my balcony and order room service and days when a dinner table for 10 was priority.

Usually I take the ship's excursions because I felt safer. There's nobody traveling with me so no warning flags go up until final boarding time. But I flew in early to Sydney to see the sights on my own and never worried about safety. Both countries are awesome, but heed their warning about carrying ANY food in/out and airport detectors require putting anything electronic out for inspection including camera's, phones, Kindle's, etc.

Have fun! Wow, just realized this is an OLD thread.

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

I love to cruise solo, I do what I want when I want. I get a large table for dinner and meet so many interesting people. I am very sorry to hear you lost your husband but go and enjoy yourself.

I love to cruise solo, I do what I want when I want. I get a large table for dinner and meet so many interesting people. I am very sorry to hear you lost your husband but go and enjoy yourself.

This was an old thread, but thank you anyway for replying. I did the cruise to Oz and NZ last Nov and had an amazing time. I stayed 2 nights in Perth before boarding the ship and did a tour taking in the sights of both Freemantle and Perth. Beautiful. On the ship I was seated at a table for 10 and could not have wished for better table companions. They were so welcoming. Yes, there were times when I felt a bit sad that my husband was not with me, but I would have no hesitation in doing another solo cruise.

This was an old thread, but thank you anyway for replying. I did the cruise to Oz and NZ last Nov and had an amazing time. I stayed 2 nights in Perth before boarding the ship and did a tour taking in the sights of both Freemantle and Perth. Beautiful. On the ship I was seated at a table for 10 and could not have wished for better table companions. They were so welcoming. Yes, there were times when I felt a bit sad that my husband was not with me, but I would have no hesitation in doing another solo cruise.

Good for you! I hope to meet you on a cruise some time. :)