Calamity Jane Went Breezing With The Maniacs 3/2-3/10/13

Delta Dear

although the Maniacs are a bunch of people who meet up on cruises, they are just that. When an outsider comes in and tries to tag along or ask questions half the time they do not answer. If you aren't over the age of 40 and in their roll call good luck having them respond. I am NOT the only person who noticed it on the cruises that they are on at the same time. That being said the Breeze is an awesome ship.

This was my first cruise with the maniacs and I found them very friendly and helpful. They definitely made me feel welcome and I noticed people in the group from all ages.

There was one very young couple that was very active with the group and we definitely felt they enjoyed being with us "OLD" people!

Our first cruise was in 1984 with an "OLDER" group and it still is the best cruise ever! We love being with all ages!

(For those of you in the NJ,PA, DE area, Morgan goes to Wawa each day for a 20 oz. cup of coffee. He needed his Wawa fix. For those not familiar with Wawa, it is a regional chain convenience store known for its coffee, its subs, and snacks. I understand there are now several Wawas in FL )

I think most of the stores are in and around the Orlando/Kissimmee area. However, they are opening up some in Tampa this year or next, so you might be able to find one the next time you cruise out of Tampa.

Jane, if the regular Lido coffee isn't to Morgan's liking, maybe he could try out some of Starbuck's Via Instant tubes. They have several varieties and I know that a single tube works just fine in my 24 oz Contigo mug. The coffee specialty shops on Carnival now serve LaVazza brand coffees, popular in Europe. And they have larger sizes.

Great review Jane, it was wonderful to see all the Maniacs again and meet the new Maniacs!!

As a group you guys are the best, always offering help and suggestions, welcoming new people with open arms. Have no idea who that person is or why they are saying we are not open to young and new cruisers.

Can't wait to see the rest of your review.

Edited by lnew1gd1

Was it just me, or were any other ladies impressed with the stall doors in the ladies room on the Lido Deck ? I HAD to take a picture. The first time we walked into these bathrooms, my sister exclaimed, "Oh, this is beautiful!" So, yes, other ladies were also impressed!

Then we went up to Pirate Pizza for a little snack. YUCK, we did not like the pizza Carnival now serves. We did not like the new pizza either. It was like eating pizza toppings on crackers! :p (But we LOVED Guy's Burgers!)

I'm really enjoying your review and your pictures!

I attacked the bed in the extra room that had all the clothes that did not make it in the suitcase for the cruise. Time to get back to normal, whatever that is. I won't be needing short sleeve shirts and capris for a few months so back they go.

On to Antigua, well, sort of. Well on to being docked in Antigua would be more accurate.

DAY 4 Antigua

Even with the additional caffeine, Morgan was still not feeling well. Normally, I would have planned non-Carnival excursions in the ports but for whatever reason, St. Thomas was the only island I’d made a plan for. As this cruise progressed, it was just as well I had not made plans.

We went for breakfast on the Lido Deck. Omelet for Morgan, I decided to try the burrito bar because I was tired of omelets by this point. What a great way to start a day. The choice of wheat or jalapeno burrito with chicken sausage or ham, Mexican scrambled eggs and the other fixings was slamming ! The chicken sausage is spicy, the eggs (not powered I understand,) have green and red peppers and onions, I think. There is a fixings bar if you want to add more to your burrito. They do have some additions you can have added to your burrito before it is rolled. I loved that option and had it at least one other day for breakfast.

We stayed on the ship, mostly on the Lido Deck. We sat near the Lido pool in a shaded area where we could enjoy the small boats coming and going. There was an Earth, Wind and Fire concert on the big screen which I enjoyed while chatting with another Maniac who was sitting in a deck chair reading.

IMG_0112_zpsfbd11a94.jpg

IMG_0113_zpsa6cc562d.jpg

Eventually when it was time for lunch, we gave the Tandori food a try. It was quite good as was the salad I’d fixed at the salad bar. We also explored a little by finding the library. It was too dark and too quiet for us.

We ended up sitting in the area of near the Atrium Bar and both of us took mini naps as we watched the comings and goings of others.

Morgan especially missed the kinds of lounges that were on the Legend, the Miracle and the Valor. There were no areas with big cushy comfortable couches and chairs where one could just hang out and read or people watch. The few areas of seating around the ship were in more public areas in not so comfortable chairs. The window seats on Deck 5 were good for people watching, especially before, between and after dinner in the Blush Dining Room. You couldn't sit there long without seeing people you knew.

It was a good day to enjoy sitting on our balcony in the late afternoon. Being on the 7th deck it was fun to watch the people on Deck 5 in the hot tubs and deck chairs. I didn't want to invade their privacy by taking any closer pictures.

IMG_0128_zps1fc53e27.jpg

]

IMG_0126_zps72c60301.jpg

IMG_0120_zps7ad4bd07.jpg

That night after dinner, I think that was the night that two of our Maniac friends came to our room to sit and chat for awhile. We have made some wonderful lifelong friends in this group. After they left, we went to the lounge where they had Karaoke. It was rather dull to say the least. Only one woman kept singing, then one man took over when she left. Bonnie got brave and did her version of R E S P E C T. Yay, Bonnie. I did take a video of Bonnie's performance but I wouldn't want to lose a friend for life, so I won't post it. What happens in the Liquid Nightclub, stays in the Liquid Nightclub, right ?

We moved to another area of the Promenade Deck, Ocean Plaza, where the group, Souljaz was playing. They were fantastic ! We stayed there until they moved to the Karaoke venue as the ‘Live Band,’ for Karaoke. Bonnie and I stayed until the end. Morgan went back to the cabin when Souljaz packed up.

I don't know why I didn't take a picture of them. Guess we were too busy jamming with the beat. That was the liviest Morgan was during the whole cruise ! Music is magic.

A pause here for a commercial break. Cruising is so much fun. Where else can you spend a week, see so many places, and interact with so many nice people ? You are in your own little community for a week. I liked what Butch said on the first night about taking the time just to say "Hello." Ok, so your mother taught you never to talk to strangers, but that rule is off on a ship!

I love the conversations with the people I meet on a ship. One day I had to show my school spirit by wearing my Ohio State University shirt. (BS, 1964) I also found out that a group from Columbus was on our roll call. Wouldn't you know it, the one guy I met at the Sail Away from that group had on the exact same shirt i am wearing. Hey, $10.00 in the Student Union didn't make it an exclusive item.*****Personal peeve. Why don't husbands tell you to pull the shirt down, sit up staight for a more becoming pose??????

IMG_0068_zpsb41282be.jpg

Just as a couple was about to get to their chosen floor, the man said, "Nice shirt, but I'm from Michigan !" LOL, our arch football rivals. He laughed as he said it. All week, I would run into him and his wife? girlfriend ? you never know, and would say, "Hey Mr. Michigan."

Throughout the cruise we had some fun and some good conversation because he'd grown up in Detroit where I once taught. Everytime we'd see each other, we'd stop to discuss our day, other cruises etc. He was a mere baby during the two years I lived in Detroit, but age doesn't matter. Nice people can relate to one another no matter what the age differences are.

Great review Jane, it was wonderful to see all the Maniacs again and meet the new Maniacs!!

As a group you guys are the best, always offering help and suggestions, welcoming new people with open arms. Have no idea who that person is or why they are saying we are not open to young and new cruisers.

Can't wait to see the rest of your review.

Our Maniacs cruise a few years ago was awesome.

Two best memories were the dice game (left, center, right) and losing Sheila when we went to the Pitons. Worked out well but rather funny.

Hope we can all cruise again one year.

I pray his recovery goes well...

Whew ! I know what to do. I have lots more to share but it's been a very long day.

When you get to the end of the review, you will learn that Morgan had some surgery schedule for after we returned from our cruise. (Unrelated to how he was feeling onboard.) That planned surgery was today. All is well, surgery went well, but it was a 13 hour day from the time we left this morning until I returned tonight. He is being kept overnight. I'll make the 50 mile drive in the morning to pick him up.

Doing this is relaxing but I need to get something to eat and probably need to just 'chill,' for the rest of the evening. This is just the beginning !!!! Be back tomorrow. Enjoy

Our Maniacs cruise a few years ago was awesome.

Two best memories were the dice game (left, center, right) and losing Sheila when we went to the Pitons. Worked out well but rather funny.

Hope we can all cruise again one year.

Stu - Your "losing Sheila" story will live on in Maniac history. :D

(For those reading: Stu and his wife, Sheila, were with the Maniacs for a private tour in St. Lucia. At the end of the tour, returning from the stop at the Pitons, they ended up on separate modes of transport back to the ship :eek:. More to it than just that, but that's the nuts-and-bolts. As Stu said, all ended well.)

Sorry for the hijack, Jane, hope you don't mind.

(For those reading: Stu and his wife, Sheila, were with the Maniacs for a private tour in St. Lucia. At the end of the tour, returning from the stop at the Pitons, they ended up on separate modes of transport back to the ship :eek:. More to it than just that, but that's the nuts-and-bolts. As Stu said, all ended well.)

To make a long story short I took the boat to the pitons and Sheila remained on the bus.

I thought I was getting on a motorboat back to the bus but as it turned out it was on a 45 minute ride back to the port. The boat capt called his boss (whose name escapes me) to relay a message to my wife. Somehow the message became Stu was a bad boy and taking him away with us.

That was fine but I had the money and tour operator wasnt getting paid until he found me and he threatened to hold Sheila hostage until he was paid. Unbenownst to him Sheila can be very high maintenace but that is another story.

In any case after waiting about 45 minutes at the port and finding out that St Lucia beer is very good we did meet up and the story had a happy ending.

One if by land, two if by sea ! LOL, that WAS funny, maybe not so funny at the time, but Stu is right; All's well that ends well.

DAY 5 Tortola

The pattern continued with Morgan just not feeling well. By now it was clearly not just a caffeine withdrawal . I cook with a lot of garlic, I thought maybe it was a garlic withdrawl, too. Just kidding. I started to get off to explore Tortola but decided to stay onboard with him.

IMG_0130_zps0dd61b5f.jpg

IMG_0129_zps2b9875e3.jpg

Parked next to us in Tortola. I can't remember the line but I heard it is a luxury British line. Something Dann? maybe?

IMG_0134_zpsf2407511.jpg

IMG_0136_zps7a4ef939.jpg

That evening two dozen Maniacs had reservations for the Italian Restaurant. Since so many of us were going, our reservations were made by one of the Maniacs online weeks before we cruised. We were to have six tables of four; instead we ended up at two regular tables and the large hightop table. I don’t remember the exact configuration of numbers at each.

The appetizers were served family style and were quite good. Each person chose their own entrée but the sides were again served family style. As one who is allergic to shellfish, my options were a bit limited. I don’t care for chicken parm, didn’t want steak so I ordered spaghetti and meatballs. The name implied it was a grandma’s old recipe.

I guess I lived in upstate NY with good Italian food for so long, I was underimpressed with the spaghetti and meatballs. Morgan had a NY Strip Steak which he said was ok, but a bit tough. Those who ordered chicken parm raved about it and a shrimp dish also had rave reviews.

Desserts were great. Appetizers, and atmosphere make it worth the $12.00 upcharge, but it was lasagna night in the main dining room, I was sorry to have missed that.

The other positive aspect of dinner that night was that we had a chance to spend time with some of the other Maniacs we hadn’t had time to really enjoy. Those social times outway the food when you look at the big picture. I wouldn’t trade the fun we had with those at dinner that night.

After dinner, it was back to the Ocean Plaza area again to hear the Souljaz set for the night. We really enjoyed their music. The lead singer was really good as were the band members. They performed again for the Past Guest Party the following day, and they did a Motown Review on the final night of the cruise. YES ! The tired Legends Show is history.

OH, speaking of reservations, we tried to make reservations for the steakhouse but waited until we were onboard a day or two before we decided to do so. It was sold out for the entire 8 days so if you want to go there you might want to do it in advance.

Before I go on, let me once again thank you for your concern, well wishes and prayers for Morgan's recovery. He is doing very well. The surgery had been scheduled several months before the cruise, and the doctor said, take the cruise we'll do this as soon as you get back. It worked out just fine.

I also wish I had the know how and the time to thank each of you individually for your comments. I just don't have the energy. I do try to answer questions, and do comment here and there on your replies. I hope you understand.

I am trying to complete this quickly so I can do some things I need to do, but it becomes addicting, just as reading cruisecritic does.... we won't even mention Facebook !!

I am Jane Cobbs Little on there, by the way, if you want to friend me.

On to our last sea day ! Then Nassau and Miami.

Day 6 Our Last Sea Day

My notes are blank for this day and so is my mind. LOL, I think I went to some Trivia games with Bonnie and just plain hung out. By now, even though Morgan wouldn’t say it to me, he’d told several of the Maniacs he was going to call the doctor as soon as he got home. Of course, I knew I was going to do that, but for him to admit it means he was feeling lousy. All of us were concerned about what was going on to make him feel so badly. I even considered calling our son from Nassau to ask him to see if he could move our reservations to return home from Tuesday to Monday. I didn’t want to alarm John with a phone call from Nassau, so I didn’t make that call.

Some may wonder why no trip to the infirmary ? Morgan’s symptoms were so non-specific, we didn’t think a visit there would do any good. He was just overly fatigued and lethargic, no aches, no pains. Even though he’d had a few drinks during the week, he decided by day 4 that perhaps he should not add any more alcohol to his system, so he stopped having drinks. We realized he was not drinking nearly the amount of water we drink at home either, so those changes seemed to help. Traveling means lots of routines are somewhat altered so we tried to normalize what we could.

Oh, I remember… the Maniacs did a Slot Pull that morning and ended up breaking even. We all got our $10.00 back we’d started with. Morgan and I had room service for lunch that day. You never realize how good potato chips take until you haven’t had then in days. LOL I finally tried the room service chocolate cake I’d heard so much about through these boards. It lived up to it’s hype. Cake was not lunch, I did have a nice turkey sandwich as the base.

IMG_0144_zps52b33a89.jpg

Several of us went to the afternoon tea. Put those pinkies up ladies !

IMG_0146_zps300ceee2.jpg

IMG_0147_zps2f9d04db.jpg

As one allergic to nuts, the dessert choices for me were limited to a rather plain cookie, but tea is always fun anyway. I’d had that yummy chocolate cake, so no problem here. I was satisfied.

Beautiful view from the second level of the Blush dining room as we sipped our tea and ate our cucumber or salmon tea sandwiches.

IMG_0145_zps7da7357d.jpg

Day 7 Nassau

Morgan felt better so Bonnie and I did venture off the ship in the early afternoon. We arrived in Nassau at noon and had to be back on the ship by 7:00 I think for an 8:00 departure. John and Cynthia had told us about a restaurant they like to go to in the area called Fish Fry. Bonnie and I did a little shopping right there at the port, then took a cab to Fish Fry. Of course I had forgotten the name of the place, but I thought it was Goldie’s. Our driver pretended not to know of it and dropped us at a place he said was one of the best. We didn’t want a meal, just a snack. The menu outside of where he dropped us looked like full means so we went into the restaurant next door and had wings, and fried plantains, peas and rice; one order of each, just enough to share and taste.

IMG_0158_zpsfccc94fa.jpg

IMG_0156_zpse492a19a.jpg

We took a cab back and were on the ship well before dinner. Later, John told us that Goldie’s is well known but since we seemed unsure of the name, the cab driver had no doubt pretended not to know what we were talking about and just took us to a place he may get a kickback from if he takes tourists there. You never know.

Final night at dinner is always sad when you have to say goodbye to your servers and your friends. We enjoyed the last dinner, the last time someone would put my napkin in my lap, the last Warm Chocolate Melting Cake…boo hoo. We gave our tips, said our goodbyes and went to the cabin to finish packing the bags to go out into the hall.

Bonnie and I went to the final show in the Ovation Theater. We enjoyed the music and the spirit of the Souljaz group once again and the goodbyes from Butch. That was a very relaxing way for me to end the week. I had enjoyed the cruise, but it was stressful since I was worried about Morgan. I needed that time to let go and relax.

It is almost over.....

Day 8 Miami

IMG_0163_zps52801b98.jpg

We were in Group 33, Bonnie was in Group 31. It was helpful to be in those late groups. We had breakfast on the Lido….my LAST breakfast burrito. I had checked on flights for Monday on Southwest, but we decided we could wait until Tues. to return home as planned. The non-stops were sold out for Monday as it was.

I texted John that we would be off late so he and Cynthia would not have to miss church. We only had to wait about 10 minutes for him after getting off and going through Customs. Everything was very smooth.

Follow Up

We called for a Dr. appointment from John’s and were given one for Wednesday. We arrived home Tuesday night happy to be back home and in our own bed.

The doctor told Morgan, “The next time you go on a cruise, you need to take your doctor with you.” LOL Morgan has bronchitis which the doctor said has been going around. He has just completed the five day antibiotics and is feeling 100% better. The doctor did send Morgan for a chest x-ray just to be sure that his lungs were clear.

One of the major concerns we had was what impact would his condition have on the thyroid removal surgery scheduled for tomorrow, March 18th. The doctor said we should proceed with the surgery which we will do.

As you now know, the surgery was performed and only the right half of the thyroid was removed. A larger and deeper than thought nodual was present which appears to be benign. Praise God that all went well.

Final thoughts on the Breeze and on the cruise itself. As I said earlier, we enjoyed the cruise even though it was not our very best. The time on the ship was relaxing, the time with friends was memorable, and the visit with our son and daughter-in-law was as great as always. Any day on a cruise is a special day.

I would encourage anyone considering a cruise on it to go for it. The décor is lovely, although I still like the glitter and bling of the older ships too. I am a Carnival fan, no matter what. It truly is the FUN SHIP. Go for it.

We talked so much about the Breeze when we were at our son’s that he looked at the schedule of ships and itineraries that I picked up onboard and found a cruise on the Breeze on October 26, 2013 was going to ports they have never visited. Since his birthday is on Halloween, he is very excited to be able to spend it onboard the Breeze. We’re excited for them. It is a very special ship.

There are many reviews with photos far better than I could take so I did not include any ship photos. Overall, I took far fewer pictures than I normally do which I am sure was due to my focus (no pun intended) on Morgan’s health issues. We’re grateful that it was nothing serious and that he is back to normal. On to the next adventure.

As a matter of fact, we booked Early Saver Rate and had so much onboard credit that the refund we received was enough to pay for an upcoming trip to Maine in May for our 45th wedding anniversary.

While on the cruise, talking to a young couple of Maniacs, Morgan told them he’s always wanted to go to Maine for fresh lobster. They in return told us about their trip to Portland, ME a few years ago. It happened that I had a Jetblue credit that had to be used by June 6, 2013. The credit, the Carnival OBC refund covers our airfare to Boston, car rental AND our hotel in Portland ! Gotta love those price drops.

As I know only too well in life, you never know what blessings are going to come out of your experiences. We have no regrets about our Breezing with the Maniacs, we look forward to spending time with them again, on or off a ship.

As for future cruising ? I think we should consider a cruise on the Pride out of Baltimore since it is only 90 minutes from our home. The itineraries are not thrilling, but the energy we’d save by not having to fly to FL might make it worth our while in terms of our energy. The ports are not as critical to our enjoyment of a cruise, just being on the water, being pampered is enough for us.

Thanks for reading. I know it is not my normal review, but I do believe that someone might get some insight out of whatever I post. Happy cruising to each of you.

I thoroughly enjoyed your review and am glad that your husband is on the mend. You all are still in my thoughts and prayers as he continues the healing process. Thank you for your insight on this beautiful ship. She is one that I am considering for next year :).