So will you been on Titanic II's maiden crossing?

London-Calling

• 3 weeks later...

If I had the time and the means why not, people can remark about it being in bad taste but I am sure they would go if it was free.

To be honest it would be a fitting tribute for a ship to make the voyage it should have made, almost as if it were carrying out the Titanic's final wishes. Sentimental I know. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps they could do a fly cruise with a replica Lockerbie bombing Pan Am jumbo jet, Maybe throw in a bit of a railway excursion on a Clapham rail disaster liveried locomotive.

Maybe even name the ships shore tender after other well known tragedies such as Lusitania, Costa Concordia etc.

The Titanic story fascinates me as much as anyone but ultimately it was a tragedy on a massive scale, If it had sunk on its twentieth crossing none of us would even remember it existed.

Ah.... Clivey baby sure is a character! He is full of wonderful ideas....not only is he building the Titanic II he has bought the Twin Waters Golf Club and Resort on the Sunshine Coast in QLD Australia and put a huge dinosaur in prime position LOL..... now he has started up his own political party (to rival the two big ones, he says) and is contesting the next election to become Prime Minister of Australia :eek:

Keep tuned for more interesting developments in the "Clive Palmer Saga"! :D

SCN_20-11-2012_EGN_01_SCN161112GOLFSOCIALS04XXX_fct918x565x106_t460.jpg

scn131212robertallenby_fct885x545x123_t460.JPG

Perhaps they could do a fly cruise with a replica Lockerbie bombing Pan Am jumbo jet

There are quite a lot of replica Lockerbie jumbo jets still flying. (The reason they aren't in Pan Am logo is nothing to do with the tragedy.) And, for that matter, there are quite a lot of Lockerbie relatives still living - don't you think that makes a difference?

Mr. Palmer has to get it built first! I'll believe it when I see it.

Same here. I would give it a 50:50 chance that it actually gets built. In its favor are his having the money to build it, an established business relationship with the shipyard (two ore carriers under construction), and the commissioning of a professional naval architect (Deltamarin) to develop the design.

Going against it are the current limitations of the Jinling Shipyard. They would have to expand their facilities to accommodate a vessel of 269m (882 ft 6 in). They don't have a dry dock large enough and they use sideways launching for ships up to 200m (656 ft). That, plus they have never built a passenger ship. It would require a substantial expansion of their infrastructure for a one-off project.

The shipyard is 100% owned by the Chinese government so expansion costs would fall on their taxpayers. The publicity from the successful completion of such a project would generate huge publicity for the shipyard. Recall how Harland and Wolff lobbied (unsuccessfully) to get the QM2 contract.

If she does get built her maiden arrival in New York harbor will be a huge media event. (But will her stern read "Liverpool"? Or "Made in China"? :D )

Archived