Whether you are on a ship's tour, a private tour or just wandering round on your own, if you are just visiting these ports for the day on your cruise you do not need a visa. If you were beginning or ending your cruise in Turkey, you would have to purchase a visa at the airport or after leaving the ship. It sounds to me that your TA doesn't know much about Turkey and hasn't taken the trouble to find out accurate information.

Our travel agent is from Turkey and has a travel agency here and there. We are staying in Istanbul for an extra 4 days but she said the visa is only needed when checking into a hotel. If you are sleeping on the ship or are there for only one day, you do not need a visa. Just called them to confirm before I posted this.

• 3 weeks later...
I am from Canada, landing in Istanbul for the night before our cruise and taking a tour the following day, and entering two other Turkish ports. My travel agent says the rules have changed and Oceania is charging me $99.

Any other Canadians?

Not a Canuk.

But as other posts, you don't need a visa for port-of-call visits to the other two ports.

Yes, you need a visa to arrive in Turkey by air. Normal routine is that you buy at the arrival airport in cash USD or Euros, no other currencies & no plastic.

At 60USD or 45 euros it's much more expensive for Canadians than for other nationals - usually that sort of thing is a tit-for-tat for charges to Turkish citizens visiting a country.

I'm very wary of visa information from travel agents, cruise lines, even governments - seen too many examples of incomplete or misleading or out-of-date information, & too often heard different advice from two people in the same office. For example the Turkish govt website makes no mention of the long-standing dispensation for port-of-call cruise visitors.

That government website also makes no mention of any change in fees.

http://www.mfa.gov.tr/sub.en.mfa?6edc6114-ba75-452d-a7ac-f6d691603318

You need to dig deeper - quiz your t/a. And the cruise line. And mebbe the Turkish foreign ministry (best of luck with that one :D). Always best to get such advice in writing, so I suggest you do it by e-mail.

Mebbe Oceania are just offering an advance service for an extra fee and "forgetting" to mention that you can buy more cheaply at the airport. Sorry to sound jaundiced, but that wouldn't surprise me. :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't be more specific. Good luck. And please report back - researched info is useful to other cruisers.

JB :)

I am from Canada, landing in Istanbul for the night before our cruise and taking a tour the following day, and entering two other Turkish ports. My travel agent says the rules have changed and Oceania is charging me $99.

Any other Canadians?

I'm not Canadian either but I was in Istanbul last weekend and the visa process and charges were exactly the same as my previous visit. The info given by John Bull above is defintely the current status for what is known as a 90 day multi-entry 'sticker' visa granted upon arrival to nationals of countries who qualify for one.... For whatever reason the charges for Canadian passport holders is much higher than for most others but as per my travel info $60 or Euro 45 is correct...

Anne

Archived