Not leaving ship while in port

I understand that you have some water fears, but the cave tubing goes through very shallow water. Here is a video. My kids loved it (age 8-16 at the time).

http://www.cave-tubing.com/belize-cave-tubing-video.html

Have a great vacation whatever you decide.

Thanks i will show my hubby (afraid of water over his yet, but can swim) and my 12 year old daughter who is convinced she cant swim, but put a snorkel and mask on her and she is like a fish, just lacks the confidence which i understand if in the middle of the ocean and its choppy...........

Son and I have no problems with the water...............

Now me and heights are a whole different scenerio :eek:

Thanks i will show my hubby (afraid of water over his yet, but can swim) and my 12 year old daughter who is convinced she cant swim, but put a snorkel and mask on her and she is like a fish, just lacks the confidence which i understand if in the middle of the ocean and its choppy...........

Son and I have no problems with the water...............

Now me and heights are a whole different scenerio :eek:

Absolutely no water over anyone's head. That's why they say "butts up" (so you don't drag.) No heights either.

Absolutely no water over anyone's head. That's why they say "butts up" (so you don't drag.) No heights either.

Thank you...........the video shows how shallow the water really is. Here in land locked AB Canada our rivers are quite deep and more like white water rafting thus why they were thinking nope, dont wanna try tubing down a river :)

No i was looking at the NCL excursion that combines the zip lining with the cave tubing and they require kids to be 12 years old and have a weight limit of 95-250 lbs................my daughter is 12 but barely 60lbs. Does anyone know why they have this weight restriction?

Thank you...........the video shows how shallow the water really is. Here in land locked AB Canada our rivers are quite deep and more like white water rafting thus why they were thinking nope, dont wanna try tubing down a river :)

No i was looking at the NCL excursion that combines the zip lining with the cave tubing and they require kids to be 12 years old and have a weight limit of 95-250 lbs................my daughter is 12 but barely 60lbs. Does anyone know why they have this weight restriction?

My son is 11, barely 80lbs, and had a blast on both cave tubing and zip lining (again - you don't walk across any bridges, you just walk up stairs to towers). We went through http://www.cave-tubing.com

We just havent found something that everyone will enjoy.

Son would love to zipline - but i am terrified of heights and bridges so there is no way that is happening.......

Some of us would like to try cave tubing, but the non swimmers of fearful of doing that...............

We really are beach people, but the island excursion seems to be so short and far away for the price............

Some of the other excursions dont really have great reviews so hesitant over them.

Maybe i can get the not so great swimmers more confident and they will get off a boat to snorkel in the ocean (didnt happen in Grand Cayman over the Christmas holidays - they stayed on the boat, so wasnt really all that great with 2 of us in the water and 2 of us on the boat)

I too am terrified of heights but decided to take one for the team and try zip lining in St Lucia on my honeymoon. To my surprise, it wasn't that bad. You are really strapped in pretty well and tend to look out over the views rather than straight down. I would encourage you not to rule it out :) I had a mini freak out, but after my first zip I ran on adrenaline the rest of the trip and didn't notice the bridges or heights afterwards :)

I was in Belize for a month several years ago and would hate to miss a change on this island! It is so beautiful. The Mayan Ruins are amazing- and really great for kids too. The tours really bring out the mysteries and intrigue of the Mayan Ruins. Also- world class snorkeling- the reef is stunning. If you really just wanted a beach day you could take a local water taxi to Ambergris Caye and not far from the drop off is Ramon's- a beach resort that will allow people to hang on their beach if you buy food and drink from them. Everyone we met while we were there was really wonderful- loved it there. Have a great time!!

I was in Belize for a month several years ago and would hate to miss a change on this island! It is so beautiful. The Mayan Ruins are amazing- and really great for kids too. The tours really bring out the mysteries and intrigue of the Mayan Ruins. Also- world class snorkeling- the reef is stunning. If you really just wanted a beach day you could take a local water taxi to Ambergris Caye and not far from the drop off is Ramon's- a beach resort that will allow people to hang on their beach if you buy food and drink from them. Everyone we met while we were there was really wonderful- loved it there. Have a great time!!

FYI - Belize isn't an island. Roatan and Cozumel are islands.

Probably a silly question, but we are booked for our first cruise Feb 2014 on the Dawn and cant seem to find an excursion listed on NCL for while we are in port in Belize.

I am thinking maybe it would be a good thing to just skip getting off the boat and spend some time checking out the boat and enjoying the day on board. We do have 3 other ports that we will have activities planned for so thinking it may be nice to have a down day and some extra time on the ship to explore since i am sure the week will fly by.

Is it okay to do this? Do others do this? If we change our minds are we able to then get off upon arrival or do you need to have everything booked ahead of time?

I love to do it and plan to do it at least once a trip. I also enjoy photographing (photo journalistic style) and find I can take my time on port afternoons getting some great shots of the normally packed areas.

After many Caribbean cruises, I often enjoy staying on board during port stays. No long walks on the concrete pier in the hot sun, no traffic to crowded beaches, no jellyfish, sea urchins or sharks to worry about in the empty pool. As you get older, the ship becomes more attractive on port days when you can relax in a nice lounge chair instead of laying on your towel in the sand. Lots more to do and eat on a ship than at a weeks stay in a Caribbean hotel. Plus the money you save on excursions can be spent in one of the specialty restaurants.

After many Caribbean cruises, I often enjoy staying on board during port stays. No long walks on the concrete pier in the hot sun, no traffic to crowded beaches, no jellyfish, sea urchins or sharks to worry about in the empty pool. As you get older, the ship becomes more attractive on port days when you can relax in a nice lounge chair instead of laying on your towel in the sand. Lots more to do and eat on a ship than at a weeks stay in a Caribbean hotel. Plus the money you save on excursions can be spent in one of the specialty restaurants.

Yup---I also love to relax onboard...part of why I cruise is to relax!!!;)

Very well said. ;)

In Belize, we cave tubed once. Another time our group split up. Some did a zip line, rappeling, rope bridge thing in caves ( with Carnival ) and the other half to the brewery. My husband just said Belize was a great spot.

We did a tour of the ruins while in Belize. It also included a tour (by car), lunch and a 90 minute river tour via speed boat. We booked it online and it was just me and my bestie. An amazing tour.it did take up most of the day but you got to see so much!

Probably a silly question, but we are booked for our first cruise Feb 2014 on the Dawn and cant seem to find an excursion listed on NCL for while we are in port in Belize.

I am thinking maybe it would be a good thing to just skip getting off the boat and spend some time checking out the boat and enjoying the day on board. We do have 3 other ports that we will have activities planned for so thinking it may be nice to have a down day and some extra time on the ship to explore since i am sure the week will fly by.

Is it okay to do this? Do others do this? If we change our minds are we able to then get off upon arrival or do you need to have everything booked ahead of time?

We just got back from the Star Western Caribbean cruise this past Sunday. In Belize we did the Altun Ha and Olde Belize River Excursion through NCL and had a great time. Our teenagers enjoyed it and we enjoyed it. The "speedboat" part lasted almost 2 hours, and we saw the dolphins, manatees, the crocs, iguanas, cranes, and howler monkeys. The lunch was about 30-45 minutes, ok sized portions and tasty chicken, rice and plantains. We had about 45 minutes at the ruins and then were transported back and had enough time to shop around in the port stores as well as have a beer or two before riding the tender back. We had an enjoyable day and I am glad we chose to get off the ship! The older folks in our party rode the calypso train around Belize City and they even enjoyed that! We always like to get off and at least see a little bit of the area and try to get a feel for how the people live.

• 7 months later...

If you are going to Belize you may also be going to Honduras. If I were going to pick a port to stay on the ship it would be Roatan. Both ports offer about the same, but Belize seems a little safer when it comes to the port area for shopping. We went to the Mayan ruins, it was ok but mowed up like a golf course. Would not do again. If you like to snorkel, Belize has they Great Barrier Reef. Check NCLs sight again, the excursions should be there.

I think the weight restriction is because if you don't weigh enough, you might not make it to the end of the line? Also, it might be because the size of the harnesses they carry? We are doing on the Dawn too the end of Feb and haven't decided about Belize earlier. We went there last year and just walked around the port but there really wasn't anything in that immediate area to do or see, it was HOT and very crowded. So, if you aren't planning on doing anything, I wouldn't get off the boat either. If you look on a site like trip advisor or something you can look up reviews of excursions and places. We have booked many excursions directly and have never had a problem. We just make sure they have good reviews and take the time to research each place. This time around we may do a 4 hour snorkel but I am not sure if our 5 yr old is coming or not. But, if we stay on the ship, I am thinking spa or just enjoying being able to get a chair by the pool while everyone is gone.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are going to Belize you may also be going to Honduras. If I were going to pick a port to stay on the ship it would be Roatan. Both ports offer about the same, but Belize seems a little safer when it comes to the port area for shopping. We went to the Mayan ruins, it was ok but mowed up like a golf course. Would not do again. If you like to snorkel, Belize has they Great Barrier Reef. Check NCLs sight again, the excursions should be there.

In Roatan I would heartily recommend NCL's Maya Key excursion. It's an island just off Roatan and a boat goes back and forth all day between the ship and the island. Nice beach with shade; snorkeling off their pier; rescued animals to see; delicious meal; pool. We have done it twice and would go back again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree totally with the previous post about Maya Key. Book it online.

It is a great beach day. Plus wildlife and good food. Very reaonably priced.

Leave anytime you want. Plus, it is only five minute boat ride from ship.

With regard to Belize, I had read so much negative about downtown area that we did a stroll around port shops and then returned to ship for rest of day.

I go to Alaska every May just for the scenery and vacation. After 11 years it is a been there done that as far as excursions go. We do have one excursion we do out of Junesau each year. Anyway, the point is that I basically stay on the ship for the whole time and I love it so much.

It is quiet and relax and there is still lots to do. If you want to investigate the ship it much easier when it is all yours. Do whatever pleases you, it is your vacation.

Edited by Alvarado

I would really recommend doing something in Belize! I've been there 3 times (travelling solo, not on cruises) and while many areas of the country don't have great beaches (think crushed coral from the reef just offshore vs. fine powder sand), I've already really enjoyed all my excursions there.

I've stayed both inland (Mayan ruins) and on San Pedro, and my absolute favorite thing to do is spend a few hours at Hol Chan doing a 'Shark Ray Alley" snorkel. The fish on the reef are amazing, but you get to swim - up close and personal - with nurse sharks and sting rays. I've probably done variations of this excursion (organized tour and from knowing someone on the island with a boat) 5 or 6 times, and I've also seen manatees, turtles and eagle rays! I've been a few years since my last trip there, but this is kind of the 'snorkelling standard' for me and I can't wait to do it again!