Missed our 3/10 Allure Sailing...

- We booked the 3/10 Allure sailing - booked our flights, hotel (via priceline) - shore excursions, drink packages, on board reservations, etc... This was to be our 1st RC cruise we have cruised Princess 8 of the past 10 years... have NEVER purchased insurance before.

On March 4, we got a call that my mother in law had been taken to the hospital - she had stopped breathing. Eventually her diagnosis was that she had suffered sudden cardiac arrest. We flew to Florida on March 5. After a week of highs and lows, we learned a recovery was not to happen, and decided to remove her life-sustaining equipment. She Died on March 13. :(

For THIS cruise, we decided to purchase Travel Guard insurance. I talked to my travel agent on Thursday, March 7, to cancel the cruise. Called TG immediately - they sent me the forms I would need for the claim. Since we were so closely acquainted with the ICU doctors, it was easy to get the medical form completed - I imagine that would usually take the longest.

We flew back home on March 17 - I sent the forms and requested documentation to TG today. Should take a month or so to get refunds.

Insurance - never again will we sail without it!

I am so sorry for your loss. We had a similar experience when we had to cancel a cruise when my mother-in-law entered hospice care. We had travel insurance. At first there was some question that we might need to prove her condition had not been critical at the time we purchased the insurance....but as it was she died before our sail date so the insurance company paid immediately. We received our settlement in about a week.

I am again so sorry for your loss and so happy you had travel insurance.

Sorry for your loss.

We always buy insurance. If you compare it to the cost of the cruise, it does not cost a lot.

In the 15 cruises we have been on, seems at least one person on average has had to be taken off the ship. Twice a ship we were on diverted to a port to drop off a passenger due to medical needs, once we saw a helicopter evacuation, and I don't know how many times I saw an ambulance arrive at the ship when we docked.

Thing is, life happens; especially as we get older. I am not sure how much the helicopter evac cost on the ship we were on as it was the USCG, but if you have to charter a mercy flight to get home, it could cost $40k or more.

And to add the cost of lost luggage, having to fly home for an emergency, or just missing the ship as you did, insurance is always worth it in my view.

And some employer-provided medical insurance policies may not provide medical coverage outside of the US, so make sure you verify whether yours does or not before leaving. Mine does, as we have employees world-wide, but others may not. It is just a good idea to find out before you need it.

[quote=tinatark;37623569

Insurance - never again will we sail without it!

In the UK the cruise lines and travel companis will NOT let you cruise or go on holiday without it, eevn if you fly to the US for a cruise.

Imagine the cost if you needed to be evacuated form a cruise ship by helicopter!

I found your post very interesting. For my last nine cruises, I did purchase insurance. My grandmother was in poor health and we always wondered if she would make to the next month, etc. I used to tell my mom to "keep her going" until we got back.

My grandmother passed away last summer. When I booked this cruise coming up, the idea of NOT buying cruise insurance crossed my mind... but then I told the TA to include it. Honestly, insurance is just peace of mind.

I'm sorry about your loss, but hopefully you have reinforced the idea that trip insurance should just be part of the cost of cruising.

Ann

Sorry for your loss.

With insurance cruisers should check with their credit cards. We have a world elite mastercard that we use to book that includes better insurance than we can get through the line for no cost. (aside of the annual fee on the card).

Most people don't think to look at their credit card portfolio but you just may find if you have some of the world type programs you may be effectively paying for something you don't need. As always check your card agreement.

So sorry that your mother-in-law passed away. Thank you for posting this. I am going to show it to my dh tonight, as he has an aversion to travel insurance. He always assumes that nothing will go wrong. His mother is elderly and in poor health and as crass as this may sound, I always have that thought in the back of my mind, when we plan a holiday. I hope you can re-arrange another cruise very soon.

So sorry for your loss. When we started cruising regularly, we both had elderly parents so always took insurance. They are long gone but now we are getting up in age and never give it a second thought. Don't care if we never need to collect, we always have it.

My friend's parents have had a home at the Jersey shore for many years that is two blocks beyond the area where flood insurance is required. Never bought it and never needed it until Sandy hit. Over $100,000 in damage and not a penny in insurance.

Archived