Land Sickness?

clinthi

Everytime I cruise, I am completely fine on the ship, but after the trip (and even in port after a few days onboard) I get land sickness for about 2 days (swaying/dizziness/etc.)

Meclazine didn't help me. Anyone have any tips/info?

I get mal de d'embarquement (sp?) too. It can last for weeks (for me) and has at times made my life "difficult". At times, I've had to crawl on my hands and knees. I've fallen down stairs when the stair tread "moved" :eek:

The last time we cruised, I paid VERY careful attention to what would trigger the dizziness/vertigo/whatever, and I found that if I turned my head quickly, BOOM (you know what I mean).

I've been told that decongestants can help, but they didn't work for me. I've been told that certain exercises can help. (You can Google them.) The exercises did help a bit, but for me (and only me, have no idea if this would help you at all) not turning my head, not nodding/shaking my head, helped a lot.

After our next cruise, I will have NO plans to drive for several days, as shoulder-checking and such exacerbated the problem for me dramatically.

Good luck! For the vast majority of us who suffer with it, it goes away in a few days.

edit: (And to people who find it a source of amusement, believe me, it is not at all funny when you suffer from it -- we very nearly gave up cruising because of how sick I get post-cruise. :( )

@CowPrincesss

This is great information! My wife has this problem. I'll tell her about the exercises.

One thing we discovered is if we fly, we get seats over the wings. It seems to be more stable thus less movement so she is more comfortable.

Thanks for the post!

@CowPrincesss

This is great information! My wife has this problem. I'll tell her about the exercises.

One thing we discovered is if we fly, we get seats over the wings. It seems to be more stable thus less movement so she is more comfortable.

Thanks for the post!

That's interesting about being over the plane wings. For me, by the time I get to the plane, I'm usually already a hot mess :) Nothing like going through airport security unable to focus, unable to stand straight, and worried about vomiting :eek: No wonder I usually get picked for "special" treatment :D

I'm thinking about spending one day post-cruise at sea level, and seeing if that helps. Someday.....

My friend just said it was known as "dock rock"....and you have to seek Vertigo solutions. Yuck-- I was hoping for an easier/quicker remedy.

But it isn't going to stop me from cruising!:p Like cowprincess, I just won't plan to drive for a couple of days after the cruise.

Rocking chair or swing set for about 15 minutes a day after you return home seems to help some people reset their balance.

Great idea! I'll pass it on to my wife. Thanks!

I've heard that the rocking chair or swing helps, but JimAOk1945, if your wife gets nausea with her Mal deD, be prepared that just the thought of a rocking chair may be too much for her to bear. :eek: I just cannot bring myself to try the rocking chair.

It's good, though, that you are concerned about her wellbeing, and her Mal de D. My poor DH tries to understand, and is quite reassuring and comforting and supportive, but just doesn't really grasp how difficult it can be to suffer from this. He thinks it is more like the little "bada-boop" most people feel a couple of times once back on land post-cruise. Like a nice little souvenir of the cruise. Uh, no. :D :eek: Not even in the same universe. I used to feel that cute little "bada-boop". I remember liking it. Now, though? No. I don't wanna feel "ocean motion" once I'm off the ship.

Another thing to consider is trying for a VERY midship cabin, and low in the ship, because the motion there is significantly less than higher up and forward or aft.

Archived