Foreign Currency Exchange on Board??

Does anyone have info. on exchanging US dollars into Pounds and Euros on the ships? I'm wondering what exchange rates they use and if they charge a fee. I'm guessing if no fee is charged, that you don't get a great exchage rate. Also, do you know how much you can exchange in one day? Any info is appreciated!

I can tell you that the exchange rate posted at the Guest Services Desk was not as good as what we received at our bank before leaving. I was glad that we get our foreign currency at home.

I figured the exchange rate wouldn't be as good, but just trying to decide which way to go. Think I'll just get most from my bank and take along some travelers checks in case I need to get more on the ship!

Understand. Just wondered if it was worth just waiting till on the ship to get funds!

We debated the exchange rate before our cruise. Thank goodness we got euros before we left the states. Our rate was better here than it was on the ship. We needed euros to get a cab from the airport to the hotel. If we had waited to get it at the airport it would have cost more. I did watch the rates for several months and did an exchange when it was in my favor. My bank does not charge an exchange fee with the accounts I have. If they had it might not have been such a great deal.

They do say that there are ATM's everywhere, but if you are on a tour they aren't going to stop for you to exchange at a exchange store or stop at the ATM.

Friends that waited to get money on the ship paid a little more than we did, but the rates change from day to day.

Just wondered if it was worth just waiting till on the ship to get funds!

Forgive me but I'm not sure why you would exchange money onboard. As stated, the rate is not as favorable and I expect the sheer amoount of money available is less. What if, say, one thousand of your newest, bestest buddies also wanted to do this? See my point?

I would absolutely get money from the local bank before leaving home and of course, ATM's are available in every port.

Archived