JFK Flight Transfer help

Thoie

I'll be flying Dublin to JFK, then onward from JFK with JetBlue.

I can do US customs and immigration in Dublin, so that will already be out of the way. Can anyone let me know if my understanding of the transfer process is correct?

• Land at JFK.
  • Collect luggage from belt. Put any purchased liquids into main suitcase.
  • Skip customs/immigration as I've done those already? This is the bit that's confusing me - is there a separate line for people who've already passed immigration? How do you avoid standing needlessly in a queue for an hour?
  • Bring suitcase to another checkin desk. Is that in the arrival terminal, or the JetBlue terminal? Is it clearly marked?
  • Go find a train to the JetBlue terminal (or a bus? or is it walkable?)
  • Go through security there
  • Lounge around until it's time to get on the plane

Does that sound right? Are the signposts obvious, or is it possible/easy to get lost and end up dragging your suitcase all over the airport? Are there any priority queues for transfer passengers?

You will land at a terminal or gate that does not have imigration. It will be as if the plane arrived from another US city.

OP - your flight will be treated as a domestic flight. It would be useful to know your airline for DUB-JFK, but am assuming it's a partner with Jetblue and you have one ticket? If so, you will not have access to your checked bags because they will be checked through to your final destination, so don't purchase duty free alcohol, as you won't be able to take it through security to your next flight.

will OP actually have to go through security again?

Normally, when flying from Dublin and using the US PreClearance facility, I can stay 'airside' so do not have to go through security again. Recently in both Philladelphia and Newark, I had no trouble with bottles of duty free as I was airside even though it was necessary to change terminals.

Ps I would presume that OP is flying Aer Lingus as they have agreements with Jet Blue

will OP actually have to go through security again?

Normally, when flying from Dublin and using the US PreClearance facility, I can stay 'airside' so do not have to go through security again. Recently in both Philladelphia and Newark, I had no trouble with bottles of duty free as I was airside even though it was necessary to change terminals.

Ps I would presume that OP is flying Aer Lingus as they have agreements with Jet Blue

No idea, as they didn't name their first airline. If they don't have to clear security again, they can have their duty free liquids.

Yes, DUB-JFK is Aer Lingus, JetBlue partners.

The last time I had to transfer in the US (with Delta through Atlanta), the entire transfer turned into a disaster due to wrong information from Delta at every step of the way.

Good news is that from April 3rd it looks like I won't even have to change terminal, and it looks like my luggage will be checked through, which makes life a lot easier. http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/knowbeforeyoufly/newyorkjfkairport/#jet

If anyone knows for definite whether I'll have to go through security in JFK that would be handy, so I can figure out what not to buy in Dublin. If I don't have to go through security I can buy some makeup.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you learn something every day! I've been a flight attendant for 12 years, flying all over the world both for work and pleasure. I've never ever heard of going thru customs/immigration at the departure airport! How nice that must be!

Well, you learn something every day! I've been a flight attendant for 12 years, flying all over the world both for work and pleasure. I've never ever heard of going thru customs/immigration at the departure airport! How nice that must be!

There aren't many worldwide, but there are few. Here are the details on the Dublin one:

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/US-Preclearance.aspx

It's theoretically handier, though in my own experience it's a bit hit and miss.

It is a very nice experience. You arrive as a domestic flight, so no queueing for immigration, customs etc. Just move on to your next flight. Also, it shortens connection times.

Both Dublin and Shannon airports have the preclearance facility.

Thoie, if I was a betting man, (which I'm not, HAHA), then I'd reckon that as you are landing at T5 in JFK and flying on from T5, then you will stay 'airside', so buy your makeup!

There is US Customs/Immigration pre-clearance at major Canadian airports too.

Archived