What we like most about Silversea ... and our bestest memories ...

UKCruiseJeff

I have no idea whether Clarence - master of the piano - is still entertaining passengers on SS but I have some very fond memories of him.

He was a lovely refined man who missed his family. I'd describe him as cultured. I remember several evenings when we'd enjoy an hour or two at the back of the ship talking about music. I use to offer him a cigar, which he'd put into hs top pocket "for later". I loved the idea of him enjoying my cigars in his own company.

One evening he was telling me about his love of Hoagy Carmicheal. We discussed some of Hoagy's iconic compositions and I stumped him with one. I told him that I'd got my music collection with me and asked him if he listened to it - would he play it for me. "Of course I willl ......" He promised. "Definately you will?" "Yes ... of course".

I played him Hoagy Carmichaels "Huggin and a Chalkin" and watched him get redder and redder ... something not easy for him. I'm unable to post a link to the lyrics but it is not ... let us say ... politically correct. I'm unable to work out how to past a link from my ipad but if you are intrigued I suggest you google "lyrics Hoagy Carmichael huggin and a chalking ......."

:D

Archived