Pago Pago, Apia, Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahiti?

travelbaybee

I would recommend you search the roll calls for the Paul Gauguin that sails in these waters year round. Go pull up a few roll calls that have already sailed, lots of good info.

You can also check the forum your on, go through the titles until something grabs your attention.

I'll answer questions but I prefer the asker to do a bit of searching and then if you don't find something then ask away. 95% of questions you might ask probably have recently been ask, you just need to dig a bit ....

• 4 weeks later...

I see that your cruise on the Sapphire Princess begins and ends in Los Angeles and goes via Hawaii. With more than 2500 passengers it's much too big for the South Pacific islands such as Bora Bora and Moorea which don't have harbours. Even Apia and Pago Pago, which do have harbours, will have problems. You will effectively treble the total population for these islands and you probably won't be able to get ashore without spending hours in line. Wrong ship, mate.

Fletcher,

Check the schedule for the Sapphire beginning October 19. You're right, it begins and ends in Los Angeles, and goes to Hawaii, but it also goes to the other islands mentioned by the OP. It's a 29 day cruise.

Fletcher,

Check the schedule for the Sapphire beginning October 19. You're right, it begins and ends in Los Angeles, and goes to Hawaii, but it also goes to the other islands mentioned by the OP. It's a 29 day cruise.

Yes, I did check the itinerary and know that the ship goes to the islands mentioned by the OP. My point was that the ship is simply too big for those islands - I've seen what happens when one of these ships sails into the lagoon at Bora Bora and attempts to disgorge 2500 people on to Matira Beach. It's not a pretty sight.

Yes, I did check the itinerary and know that the ship goes to the islands mentioned by the OP. My point was that the ship is simply too big for those islands - I've seen what happens when one of these ships sails into the lagoon at Bora Bora and attempts to disgorge 2500 people on to Matira Beach. It's not a pretty sight.

Thanks for that negativity! We (along with many other cruisers) are looking for positive advice.

Instead of railing against the size of the ship and the number of passengers, would you have any suggestions as to how to best enjoy the islands?

Happy to help - if you are on Bora Bora and want to avoid the crowds, take the tender to the dock and arrange to be picked up by the Pearl Beach Resort. Spend the day away from the mob at the hotel with the best beach and the best view. Then get the hotel to take you back to the dock. For other islands, rent your own car.

I'm not 'railing' against big ships. I'm speaking with a lot of knowledge of the South Pacific and I know that big ships are not well-suited to these waters. Personally, I go on cruises like this which are the best way to appreciate these beautiful places:

http://www.silversea.com/expeditions/destinations/plan-expedition/?voyage=7422

At $600 per-day, per-person, ocean view cabin, this Silversea cruise is about 4.5 times more expensive than the 28-night Sapphire Princess cruise at $132 per-day. You can take the entire 28-night Princess cruise for about half the cost of the 12-night Silversea cruise. I would venture to say, very few CC members have finances that allow $600 per-day, per-person cruises.

At $600 per-day, per-person, ocean view cabin, this Silversea cruise is about 4.5 times more expensive than the 28-night Sapphire Princess cruise at $132 per-day. You can take the entire 28-night Princess cruise for about half the cost of the 12-night Silversea cruise. I would venture to say, very few CC members have finances that allow $600 per-day, per-person cruises.

Well, all I can say is that you get what you pay for.

Personally, I go on cruises like this which are the best way to appreciate these beautiful places:

http://www.silversea.com/expeditions/destinations/plan-expedition/?voyage=7422

I prefer to avoid these types of cruises as they tend to cater to pretentious and condescending brits, and I loathe the thought of being stuck on a boat with such stuffy and pompous company still firmly entrenched with an obsession that harks back to the archaic days of feudal classes.

I prefer to avoid these types of cruises as they tend to cater to pretentious and condescending brits, and I loathe the thought of being stuck on a boat with such stuffy and pompous company still firmly entrenched with an obsession that harks back to the archaic days of feudal classes.

I am proud to be a pretentious and condescending Brit . . . so thanks for that, much appreciated . . . you sum me up completely. Skai. I wouldn't dare insult you.

I am proud to be a pretentious and condescending Brit . . . so thanks for that, much appreciated . . . you sum me up completely. Skai. I wouldn't dare insult you.

The rine in spine sties minely in the pline.

We've got a bloomin' heiress in our midst. Will you be needing a butler?

Have a luverly day, guv'ner:rolleyes:

Apia: Try Polynesianxplorer for tours. We found that it was better value than ship tours and also not a busload. They usually reply to you very quickly via email as well.

Pago Pago: We rented a car and drove around the island. Could not find a good private tour guide here.

Bora Bora: http://www.maohinui.net

email: patrick.bora@email.pf

boat tour around Bora Bora. Waist deep water where you are with sting rays and black tipped sharks. Snorkeling. BBQ on beach with mimosa, beer or wine. Typical Tahitian feast which is real tasty. BBQ was on a private island. If you decide to go on this trip, make sure Rapa is your tour guide. He will make the tour for you.

The rine in spine sties minely in the pline.

We've got a bloomin' heiress in our midst. Will you be needing a butler?

Have a luverly day, guv'ner:rolleyes:

Skai obviously wrote this in a rit of fealous jage. What great company you would be . . .

I third Patrick's Bora Bora tour.

I fourth Patrick's Bora Bora tour !!

Nancy

I also like Patrick 1/2 day Papeete

I also like Bruno's day--have done it many times--last time the pearl lady was surprised to see me once again--just hang around on the

Vanilla farm when everyone goes for the tour

Also, don't forget Marc on Huahine.

Nancy:D:D

Helllllllllllllllllllllp!!!!

Am taking a Princess Cruise this October and am looking for suggestions for any and/or all of these places! Any & all suggestions will be MOST appreciated!

:confused:

You may want to check out the main Princess board where some of us who have just completed the Star Princess March 26 - April 23rd, 2013 cruise are beginning to add comments under the thread "LA to Tahiti" (I think that's the right title.) Wonderful cruise.

Apia: Try Polynesianxplorer for tours. We found that it was better value than ship tours and also not a busload. They usually reply to you very quickly via email as well.

Pago Pago: We rented a car and drove around the island. Could not find a good private tour guide here.

Bora Bora: www.maohinui.net

boat tour around Bora Bora. Waist deep water where you are with sting rays and black tipped sharks. Snorkeling. BBQ on beach with mimosa, beer or wine. Typical Tahitian feast which is real tasty. BBQ was on a private island. If you decide to go on this trip, make sure Rapa is your tour guide. He will make the tour for you.

Besides Patrick on Bora Bora, there is another very good tour that you might want to look into. It is RAANUI. It is family owned and operated and a little cheaper than Patrick's. We did Patrick's last year and enjoyed it except for the BBQ and beverages. Before everyone was fed they ran out of Luau pork, and beverages. We had two boats in our party. When I saw the piglet they barbqued it was only a "half pig". In other words for approximately 20 people, they only barbequed half of a baby pig. The chicken barbequed consisted mostly of legs, wings, and some thighs.

This year we are going to use RAANUI. The reviews on Trip Advisor have been very good.

How easy is it to rent a car on Pago Pago? Can I make reservations now? Or do we have to wait until we get there?

Rannui is way less than Patrick ........... about $80 bucks USD difference :eek:

I've taken them both, I prefer Rannui. Nice Family, laid back. Mother is hands on and she makes sure everyone gets a good time. The picnic area was superior compared to Patricks. If you recall the Amazing Race this season the fiinsh line for that leg was on the Motu Rannui owns and is where the BBQ is at.

I see that your cruise on the Sapphire Princess begins and ends in Los Angeles and goes via Hawaii. With more than 2500 passengers it's much too big for the South Pacific islands such as Bora Bora and Moorea which don't have harbours. Even Apia and Pago Pago, which do have harbours, will have problems. You will effectively treble the total population for these islands and you probably won't be able to get ashore without spending hours in line. Wrong ship, mate.

Wow...very good point! Something that just hadn't crossed my mind really...might be worth rethinking this trip! Thank you!

Bora Bora: www.maohinui.net

Thanks for the great suggestions! MOST welcome!!! :D

Archived