!!! SILHOUETTE !!! Western Caribbean- The Ultimate Review & Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Hi Rupertfrog,

I guess somebody uses my tag but spells it differently- We will be on the Silhouette Jan 5, 2014 and March 23, 2014.

I'd welcome you to jump on our sailings thread with an update after your January sailing .... Many of us have not been on the Silhouette & several will be on the first or second Celebrity cruise so your input after a recent sailing would be great!

Enjoy the cruises!!

Gambee,

Truly great review I had a feeling you would like allure more than silhouette just from the vide of the ship and demographic of the passengers. It was awesome ou got off the ship in Jamaica it really is a beautiful country despite all it worts, but I was shocked a the Hilton's grounds. I stayed at the iberostar grand for my honeymoon and now that sir is a truly amazing hotel on par wit the W brand I stayed in the one in ft lauderdale on my allure trip and it was awesome. Plus here are several here in the city most have really great bars.

Also just an Fyi the houses in Jamaica are not finished a lot of the time because there are no mortgages so people have to finish them as they get the money and also you don't have to pay taxes if the house is not completed 100%.

One last point being a NYer and seeing that you are doing on breakaway in less than a month if come in early you must try a burger at shake shack, there are several locations in the city now. Just don't cheap out get a shack double, simply the best burgers I have ever had in my life.

Gambee,

Truly great review I had a feeling you would like allure more than silhouette just from the vide of the ship and demographic of the passengers. It was awesome ou got off the ship in Jamaica it really is a beautiful country despite all it worts, but I was shocked a the Hilton's grounds. I stayed at the iberostar grand for my honeymoon and now that sir is a truly amazing hotel on par wit the W brand I stayed in the one in ft lauderdale on my allure trip and it was awesome. Plus here are several here in the city most have really great bars.

Also just an Fyi the houses in Jamaica are not finished a lot of the time because there are no mortgages so people have to finish them as they get the money and also you don't have to pay taxes if the house is not completed 100%.

One last point being a NYer and seeing that you are doing on breakaway in less than a month if come in early you must try a burger at shake shack, there are several locations in the city now. Just don't cheap out get a shack double, simply the best burgers I have ever had in my life.

Also living in Ny all my life, I suggest chinatown for dinner and next door to little Italy for a special dessert! Just saw Motown yesterday on broadway and we really enjoyed it! Broadway is a must! If you have time go to Ellens's Stardust dinner, about 52nd st and Bway for breakfast or any meal. It is a 50's style diner with talented unemployed singing Bway waiters and waitress. Very reasonible! Of course the museums are great and depending upon your amount of time in NY, so much to see and do! Enjoy

Gambee,

Glad you liked the review, but yeah I guess the Allure still has the edge. Thanks for the info in the Jamaica house market, I was truly amazed at all the houses there that were not finished. Shake shack you say, is that the one with a really long line every time you walk by it? Oh ok, yeah I know which one you're talking about, we stayed around the corner from that place last time in NY. I wanted to eat there but the line was just ridiculous. Maybe ill try it this time, depends on the line. Thanks for reminding me, I just did not know that the burgers were that good. Our time in NY is limited and I think my friend wants to take us out for dinner, I might have to look into having them for lunch.

Also living in Ny all my life, I suggest chinatown for dinner and next door to little Italy for a special dessert! Just saw Motown yesterday on broadway and we really enjoyed it! Broadway is a must! If you have time go to Ellens's Stardust dinner, about 52nd st and Bway for breakfast or any meal. It is a 50's style diner with talented unemployed singing Bway waiters and waitress. Very reasonible! Of course the museums are great and depending upon your amount of time in NY, so much to see and do! Enjoy

I do love china town and little Italy, actually I Joe Shangai is my favorite restaurant in china town. But as far as shows and singing and dancing goes, well it is just not for me, I get bored easily with them. Museums are also a no go, I enjoy architecture and just wondering around. I do however appreciate the input :) Actually I think I read about the Ellens dinner on a promotional magazine, we almost went there, but for some reason we did not go, can't recall. Ill have to see, I am not sure mom will enjoy it that much and actually we won't be there for breakfast, as Ill be making a dash for Breakaway! lol

Gambee, I am a new fan of your reviews. I also own Sony NEXF3K & i love your fisheye pics. What type a lens do you have, is it a sony lens?

Dee

Hello Dee, glad you like them. On page one of the review I have a detailed post on all of my equipment. I recall the exact brand, but I think it's a rokinon 8mm, it is made specifically for the nex series. It's a fun lens to use.

I try to provide information for all, that means lots of things that some may not like and others will. So it's all good, it just might take sometime to get to the info some want.

Thank you for the support and kind words :)

I have only read one in-depth review before and that was by cruisinggatorgirl (Ashley, I hope I got that right). Now it's your's Gambee, and just like Ashley's, I hope it doesn't come to an end. Totally riveting!!!! :D I can't wait to have enough time to read your other reviews. For me, reading about someone's experience on a ship is more interesting than a review of a port. Port reviews are a dime a dozen but a review of day to day life on the ship is far more exciting!!! Keep up the great review Gambee! :):)

Mo

Glad you liked the review, but yeah I guess the Allure still has the edge. Thanks for the info in the Jamaica house market, I was truly amazed at all the houses there that were not finished. Shake shack you say, is that the one with a really long line every time you walk by it? Oh ok, yeah I know which one you're talking about, we stayed around the corner from that place last time in NY. I wanted to eat there but the line was just ridiculous. Maybe ill try it this time, depends on the line. Thanks for reminding me, I just did not know that the burgers were that good. Our time in NY is limited and I think my friend wants to take us out for dinner, I might have to look into having them for lunch.

the trick with shake shack is to go around noon or on a Sunday for lunch the lines are usually more more manageable also there is one by the WTC that is a little easier to get a table, the times sq one is easiest around 5pm and the onion Brooklyn is usually easiest to eat at noon also

Or you can always head to little Korea around 33rd and rock out at the crazy karaoke places. Anyway just a hunch but I bet you've don a ton of research into ny already

I have only read one in-depth review before and that was by cruisinggatorgirl (Ashley, I hope I got that right). Now it's your's Gambee, and just like Ashley's, I hope it doesn't come to an end. Totally riveting!!!! :D I can't wait to have enough time to read your other reviews. For me, reading about someone's experience on a ship is more interesting than a review of a port. Port reviews are a dime a dozen but a review of day to day life on the ship is far more exciting!!! Keep up the great review Gambee! :):)

Mo

Hi Mo, glad you liked the review, you should also read the Allure one it was a very exciting cruise. Thanks for stopping and posting :), I will see you around!

the trick with shake shack is to go around noon or on a Sunday for lunch the lines are usually more more manageable also there is one by the WTC that is a little easier to get a table, the times sq one is easiest around 5pm and the onion Brooklyn is usually easiest to eat at noon also

Or you can always head to little Korea around 33rd and rock out at the crazy karaoke places. Anyway just a hunch but I bet you've don a ton of research into ny already

Hmmmm, well it seems like my friend has to work that day, so I might have time to eat that burger after all. Il have to start doing some planning for NY now that I actually have to do something.

LOVE your posts! They are so fun to read!

Thank you :)

I know, how cool is that?!? Can't wait to try it!

Thank you, Gambee. Great posts and photos. One question, if you would be so kind---is there coffee on deck 8 of the Hideaway?? I searched this, but can't get a definitive answer. Thanks!

Thank you, Gambee. Great posts and photos. One question, if you would be so kind---is there coffee on deck 8 of the Hideaway?? I searched this, but can't get a definitive answer. Thanks!

Hmmmm, I know I saw some machines there, but they could be tea and water only. To be honest I am not sure, maybe :confused:

Excellent review! I'm a Holland America cruiser that has been considering trying Celebrity. I browsed the Celebrity forum to find a review with photos and you definitely delivered! I am not finished reading your review yet, but wanted to say thanks and compliment you on your wonderful writing and photography. Thank you!

I am not Gambee but I can totally answer this for you as Ive sailed on the Silhouette twice now.

There is NO coffee or tea on DECK 8 of the Hideaway. In fact, on deck 8 there are only 2 "bird cage" type seats available.

Access to the Hideaway from DECK 7 will allow you tea/coffee provided the machine is working!

I was on Deck 8 for my last cruise and would often pass by the hideaway, look down, and see the guys working on the machine. :D

Help! I'm on page 37 of the review and all of Gambee's pictures are being "X'd" out. I'm seeing a little error that states there is not enough bandwith...anyone else having this issue? I could read the rest of the review without the pics, but the pics are so enjoyable, they add to the review!

Excellent review! I'm a Holland America cruiser that has been considering trying Celebrity. I browsed the Celebrity forum to find a review with photos and you definitely delivered! I am not finished reading your review yet, but wanted to say thanks and compliment you on your wonderful writing and photography. Thank you!

Thank you for your kind words, I think coming from HAL X should be a similar line :). Hope the review helps you make your mind.

Happy sailings :)

I am not Gambee but I can totally answer this for you as Ive sailed on the Silhouette twice now.

There is NO coffee or tea on DECK 8 of the Hideaway. In fact, on deck 8 there are only 2 "bird cage" type seats available.

Access to the Hideaway from DECK 7 will allow you tea/coffee provided the machine is working!

I was on Deck 8 for my last cruise and would often pass by the hideaway, look down, and see the guys working on the machine. :D

Thanks for the info!

I have created a twitter account and a Facebook account for all things related to cruising. I also plan on updating when I do new reviews in there, as well as doing LIVE tweets and posts from my future cruises. The facebook account will also have albums with just pictures for those who like looking at pictures and not reading :).

Feel free to Join me,

https://www.facebook.com/Cruisinggambee

https://twitter.com/CruisingGambee