Has anyone ever traveled to Barcelona, Spain? To board a ship?

sassy~one

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) flew into Barcelona last Fall for a cruise aboard "Breeze". She arrived the morning of the cruise, so went directly from the airport to the ship. Used Carnival transfers, and all went very smoothly. It would probably be less stressful to fly in a day or two early, but going on the day of sailing, using Carnival Air, and Transfers worked flawlessly for her. ;)

"SKY"

We sailed the maiden voyage of the Breeze out of Venice...still Europe...Cruise left on a Sunday, we left the states on a Thursday evening and arrived in Venice Friday afternoon. You will need you r passport, and you will need to convert dollars to Euros. You can use dollars everywhere in Europe but Italy. There they only accept Euros.

We sailed on the NCL Epic and arrived a day before. We landed in the morning. We booked an airport hotel (booking.com) and they picked us up for free. When we arrived our rooms were ready and we went showered and took a nap. Around 3pm we took the metro into town and walked around to see some of the wonderful architecture Barcelona is known for.

We had dinner and walked around some more. Finally took the metro back to hotel and called it a night. We had a van service pick us up and take us to the ship. The same van service picked us up and took us to the airport.

You will only need your passport and yes, euros. However, on the ship US dollars.

You should check out the Spain Message Board. You won't be able to leave your computer.:D

Barcelona is an intersting city, but you have to watch for pickpockets where ever you go. They tried to get me in the subway, and we met four other people that were pickpocketed. We took a taxi from the airport to a hotel near the port, we saw the old CCL Holiday now the Grand Holiday sailing for a Spanish company, and the old Royal and NCL Majesty now the Louis Majesty. Our hotel was near the Columbus Statue at the bottom of Las Ramblas, not the best area. We spent two days touring before we boarded our ship, plenty of time to see the city.

We've done it twice-first time a 2 night stay in Barcelona was included, 2nd time we flew in the morning of the sail away. 2nd time was with Carnival. Used their fly aweigh program and their transfer service. Like Mrs. Jones, we felt everything went very smoothly. In addition to our passports, their was some online form we had to print, sign, and hand over prior to boarding. Can't rermember just what it was. This was in fall of '11. I always print the boarding pass (used to be called fun pass). On some cruises they ask for it, sometimes not. Boarding in Barcelona I can't remember if they asked for it. I'd take it just in case. The last time we sailed with CCL (in Feb.) they did ask for it.

I would like to know what is needed besides a passport? Airport to hotel info? Hotel to ship info? How many days in advance have you gone?

Thanks so much, and Happy Easter.

I flew from London to Barcelona the same day of departure of a westbound transatlantic on the NCL Gem. I had no desire to be in Barcelona early since I had already spent 4 days there six months earlier at the end of an eastbound transatlantic. In addition to a passport it would be a good idea to have some form of money...cash, credit/debit card, traveler's checks, etc.

We took a taxi from the airport to the cruise port that cost us about 30 euros.

We flew in a day early for our cruise and stayed at the Almedia Palace. We were very tired form the flight and turned in early. We woke up on the morning of the cruise and had breakfast at a place called Obamas. It was an African themed pub-like place with a truely British flair and a statue of President Obama in the middle of the place. Great breakfast and a fun way to start our trip, but the craziest decor I have ever seen. We then took a quick cab ride the port. I will say that Barcelona has one of the prettiest airports I have ever been in. Post cruise we stayed at the Majestic and it truely was. Five stars all the way. Location was great. Hotel was perfect. Enjoy Barcelona, it is a great city.

We have cruised out of Barcelona the past two years--once on the Magic and once on the Breeze.

The first year we attempted to fly in the day of the cruise. (Not smart, we know. We learned our lesson the hard way.) Unfortunately, our flight was delayed by a hurricane, and flights were backed up. Our flight was then cancelled, and so we flew in a day late, found a hotel in Florence, took the train to Citavecchia the third day, a taxi from the train station to the port, and then met the Magic two days late...not fun, but an adventure nonetheless. We did stay over in Barcelona after the cruise.

Last year, we flew in a day early, relaxed at the hotel, and boarded the Breeze for a wonderful cruise. The hotels we utilized were the Fira Palace and the Hotel Continental, both fine, but preferred the latter one. We just took a taxi to the port on the second trip. We did enjoy both ships and both cruises, (after we finally were aboard the Magic on the first one.)

I would like to know what is needed besides a passport? Airport to hotel info? Hotel to ship info? How many days in advance have you gone?

Thanks so much, and Happy Easter.

We flew in on a Thursday and spent 1 night in Zurich, Switzerland. (UAL will allow you 1 stopover - overnight with no additional cost). Flew to Barcelona the next day. There were flight delays (but since we were early, not a problem). We spent 2 nights in Barcelona at Hotel Nouvel. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel. We also took a taxi from the hotel to the ship. No problem with either. One thing to bring is money/passport holder that you can keep under your clothing. There are a lot of pickpockets. Other than pickpockets, we felt very safe in Barcelona. It was a great place to visit.

Did Montreal to Barcelona direct last year, overnight flight.

Arrived in BCN at 7.30am, had cleared customs and had luggage by 8.30am.

Only needed current valid Passport.

Took the AEROBUS to the center of the city (Place Catalunya) for 5.5 Euro...it's a great way to go.

Took a cab from there to the Hilton because we arrived a day early and we were quite jet-lagged. We had requested early check-in. Took a hot shower and a nap, did a bit of pre cruise shopping at the mall across from the hotel, had dinner a local place, then early to bed.

Archived