Newbie's Trip Report on NCL Star Western Caribbean March 24 - March 31

Hi! I'm a first-time cruiser who just got back yesterday from with New Orleans my 10-year-old daughter.

Day -1, Saturday, March 23, New Orleans. I decided to drive down ahead of time so as to not be rushed on embarkation day. We checked in at the Marriott Convention Center, within a block of the Julia Street Terminal. Got a good deal on Priceline, but there are several good hotels nearby. Self parked at the parking deck a block away for $20/day. Found out later that I could stay there for cheaper for the duration of the cruise and taken a free shuttle to the cruise terminal, but with all our luggage and just the 2 of us to haul, wasn't right for us.

Checked in quickly and dropped our overnight bag in the room. Then we took the streetcar down the riverfront to the French Market to do some shopping and to soak in the New Orleans ambience. Afterwards, we boarded the streetcar back up the riverfront and had dinner at Mulates. We enjoyed their sampler plate of Cajun specialties while listening to their live Cajun band and watching the diners take a turn on the dance floor.

Hi! I'm a first-time cruiser who just got back yesterday from with New Orleans my 10-year-old daughter.

Day -1, Saturday, March 23, New Orleans. I decided to drive down ahead of time so as to not be rushed on embarkation day. We checked in at the Marriott Convention Center, within a block of the Julia Street Terminal. Got a good deal on Priceline, but there are several good hotels nearby. Self parked at the parking deck a block away for $20/day. Found out later that I could stay there for cheaper for the duration of the cruise and taken a free shuttle to the cruise terminal, but with all our luggage and just the 2 of us to haul, wasn't right for us.

You can drop off your luggage (just the luggage to be checked - keep your carry-ons), then go park. Then it's you and your carry-ons on the shuttle.

Day 1, Sunday, March 24, Embarkation Day

Checked out, picked up a to-go cup from Starbucks downstairs at the Marriott, then left one parking deck to head for the Whale Lot at Julia Street Terminal. Just head west on Convention Center Blvd. until it ends, take a left, then when it ends, take another left. At the security entrance, they will direct Norwegian passengers to the left and Carnival to the right. Stopped where directed to give all 4 of heavy bags to the baggage handlers.

Then they directed me to take a left and cross the railroad/streetcar tracks. Just after the tracks, there is a cement wall parallel to the tracks. just on the other the side of that wall is a right turn that gets you to the cruise entrance. the Whale Lot is the common name for the open parking lot next to the acquarium mural of whales.

Newbie alert: Reread the above paragraph before attempting! I missed it and had to loop all the way around again. the nice officer that directed me the first time must deal with newbie's like me all the time that can't see the entrance on the other side of that infamous wall, because I didn't even have to ask before he told me about the wall again :eek:

Paid for the week's parking in advance (keep both tickets to get out later). Then we headed back across the tracks. you enter the building right across from there and under the Riverwalk shopping center. You go through a series of checkpoints. first show your tickets. next there is a checkin line like at a hotel where you show your tickets and passports and fill out some paperwork. then security. then pay $15 for the bottle of wine I brought with me. they snap a welcome picture of us that I'm sure is extremely flattering :rolleyes:

You are given a ticket that denotes your order of boarding. about 30 minutes and you're on the ship. all that took about an hour and it was about 11:30 a.m. I thought we might get lucky and at least be able to drop off our carryons in the cabin, but they have the doors closed to the floors with a sign saying closed.

No worries, on to the Versailles Main Dining Room. Thanks to Cruise Critic Message Boards, I didn't make the rookie mistake of going to the buffet. One of our fellow diners confirmed that it was a madhouse! We had a civilized lunch with a window view watching with fascination all the fresh goods being transferred from the docks to the hold of the ship.

First lunch at Versailles Main Dining Room (MDR)

Darling Daughter, hereafter known as DD, as a tween wanted to start ordering and eating off the big girl menu, so this was the perfect opportunity. She had the chicken noodle soup (broth too thin for her liking but probably ok for other people) followed by penne pasta with alfredo (she loved) followed by strawberry shortcake for dessert (which she loved).

The lunch menu was the same every day, so if you missed something the first day, you had other opportunities. I started with the Portobello mushroom (A+) followed by Chicken Milanese (A-) and finished with the milk chocolate mouse (A-).

The presentation of the food was nice throughout the voyage. the portions were just right so that you had room for dessert :p

First look at Balcony Stateroom

As we eating they began to announce floors that were ready. As we were finishing, they announced our floor, the 10th floor, room 10682. Perfect timing! :D

The set of elevators close to the Versailles was near our room, so we were there in a second. As we entered the 2 twin beds were at the right after the restroom, and after that was the futon couch. The balcony gave us a great view of the mighty Mississippi River with the bridge crossing it. It gave the room a larger and lighter feel.

All the woodwork in the stateroom was shiny and the everything in the ship was meticulously clean. I was pleased to see no signs of wear throughout the ship. The restroom, although small, was functional and I was glad there was a separation between the shower cubicle, which had a sliding pocket door, and the sink area and the toilet area, which had its on sliding pocket door as well.

There were only 3 small drawers so don't make the mistake this newbie made and overpack! fortunately there are shelves inside the closet and plenty of hangers and space inside it.

Day 1 Afternoon continued, Taking care of business, including Muster Drill

1 of our checked bags were already outside the door, so we brought it in, then popped up the elevator to the 12th floor, then up the stairs to Splash Academy to sign up DD for the week. Took < 5 minutes.

Back to the cabin, where the rest of our bags were outside of the room. Brought them in and started unpacking while DD suited up for quick visit to pool.

Took elevator up to the 12th floor again, then cut through Market Café Buffet (hereinafter referred to as Buffet) to the pool area.

Bit cool that day, so didn't stay in the pool long before returning to the room and finishing up packing while waiting for the muster drill. They shut everything down 30 minutes prior and during. You have to present your key card to show your participation, but if you miss that one there is a make up the next day.

As a newbie, I didn't know what to expect of the muster drill, but it went very smoothly. You don't have to wear the lifejacket in your room, or even take it. If you have a small child, let them know and they will provide a child-sized lifejacket. When they announce it, you simply go to your muster station. You know which one based on the letter/number on your key card (ours was N2, I believe). They announce where you go based on that letter/number combo. Ours was the Versailles MDR.

When announced you take the stairs down there (crew stand in front of the elevators and direct you away.) They check you in at your assigned station. They demonstrate the use of the life jacket and give you basic instructions. it all takes < 15 minutes, I think. afterwards, we returned to the room via the stairs (there is a bit of a delay starting the elevators back, but if that is an issue, you could wait another 5 or 10 minutes for them to start back).

Day 1 Evening

Back to the pool, where we enjoyed the party atmosphere led by the band Xcite, which performed all kinds of covers to the backdrop of a Caribbean beat. Their leader made a quite likeable DJ throughout the journey. We waived as we pulled away from the dock and excitement was in the air! It was quite windy that evening, so we left to get ready for dinner at Versailles.

Cruise Critic Message Board (CCMB) had clued me in that the first night was lobster night, listed on the menu as surf and turf. For starters, I had the fingerling potatoes with lime marinated shrimp (A). the steak was bad. The lobster tail as probably fine for seafood people. I must admit that it is the first time I've ever tried, and I couldn't get past the feeling that I was eating an alien lol.

232323232%7Ffp54394%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3647%3B%3B567834%3Anu0mrj

For dessert, DD had brownie off children's menu (overdone) and I had the key lime pie (A).

DD still wanted dessert since she didn't eat the brownie, so the best part about cruising is that we just went upstairs to the buffet and she had a made-to-order chocolate crepe, which became her regular request post-dinner each night.:cool:

Since we had had a long day, we returned to the room to wind down and went to sleep by 10 (I know, we're VERY boring!) It was fun to watch the lights, barges and shoreline as we went down the mighty Mississippi River throughout the night. When I woke up during the night, I would go out on the balcony to check it out like a little kid ;)

By the way, the bed's weren't just firm, they were hard :eek:

View from the Pool Deck

232323232%7Ffp543%3A7%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3648338%3B4934%3Anu0mrj

There was covered seating to each side of the pool with clear sheeting to protect from the elements. There were tables for alfresco dining. One side had smokeless ashtrays for smokers and the other side not. Lots of kids and grownup kids enjoyed the outside grill that regularly offered:

Hamburgers (Plain, w/Pineapples, w/cheese)

• Hot dogs
  • Potato Slaw
  • Slaw
  • Fries
  • Fresh fruit bar
  • Hand-dipped Ice Cream bar

You could bring some food out from the adjacent buffet (don't know if this was encouraged, but I no one ever said anything to the contrary)

Day 2, At Sea, Don't come 'a knock'n when the boat's a rock'n

Woke to a different movement of the ship and jumped up to check the view, yes, we were out of the Mississippi River and in the Gulf of Mexico!

I got up and made me the perfect cup of Dunkin Donuts...aahhh! Thanks to the nice lady that booked me from NCL I knew I had a 4-cup coffeemaker in the balcony room and thanks to CCMB I knew I could use regular 4-cup filters with my favorite Dunkin' Donuts brew :cool:

Had my cup of joe on the balcony and watched the sunrise.

232323232%7Ffp543%3A%3B%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D364867787534%3Anu0mrj

Shortly got a 2 minute call-ahead that my breakfast was being delivered in just a bit. You can order it the night before and put the card on your door along when you would like it, a wake-up call of sorts. Nice to have continental breakfast on the balcony and read my kindle while DD sleeps in.

232323232%7Ffp54393%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D364867789%3A34%3Anu0mrj

Had choice of:

• Juices
  • Milk, Tea, Coffee
  • Pastries (A)
  • Yogurt
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Cereals

Tipped the room service guy a couple of bucks per day and he remembered our preferences each day (banana for me, cranberry juice for DD, etc.)

Day 2, At Sea, Don't come 'a knock'n when the boat's a rock'n, Continued

After DD woke up, we stopped for late breakfast buffet on way to the pool. To find the omelette prep station, head all the way around to the other side of the buffet at the back. i'm not sure everyone knew it was back there. Besides, seating was as crowded back there anyway. They had your choice of fixins, could do egg whites only, or eggs made to order. Excellent!

Ok, maybe you're wondering what the rock'n comment above means? The entire day we had rough waters with 10 ft waves. The ship constantly swayed back and forth. Fortunately it didn't bother us, but a lot of people had there patches on. I asked a seasoned cruiser if this was normal and they said in all their years of cruising they had never seen it like that. It wasn't scary, it was just a weird feeling, and even kinda funny to watch all the people stagger around like they were inebriated, myself included.

Most of us didn't let it cramp our style, and we spent the day enjoying the pool deck, even when the water was sloshing out of the pool and hot tubs. :eek: I enjoyed watching the passengers doing "The Wobble" and "Gangnam Style" dances.

My DD tried the Splash Academy that evening, but she wasn't really into it before she tried it, and since this was a family trip for us anyway, I didn't mind. I mainly wanted her to meet friends to play with at the pool, and she did that on her own.

Day 3, Costa Maya, Mexico

Woke to calmer waters, yeah! I had decided to go it on our own at this port. Had heard about the Tropicante from CCMB and emailed the owner in advance. He reserved our seating (no charge) and gave additional directions, which we followed.

Costa Maya is a sleepy little Mexican beach town. The pier itself has a shopping/pool area that has its own security if you don't want to go even further, but it is pricey and lacks the charm of the real town. We walked just outside the gates to the taxi stand and caught a taxi for $4 for the 2 of us. It took less than 5 minutes to get there. They go fast!

Dune buggies, 4 wheelers, and golf carts were available for rent. If you were going to do this at any of the four ports, this would be the best one because the terrain is flat and not crowded.

We were directed to our lounge chairs. I ordered a margarita (A). Tropicante is cash only. American $'s accepted. Water was pretty.

232323232%7Ffp543%3A8%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3648%3B%3B355534%3Anu0mrj

This boat was taking snorkelers out a bit to snorkel.

Later we ordered the chicken nachos (A). We were approached while we were seated by locals selling goods, a strolling guitarist, etc. They weren't pushy and took no for an answer, but there were a lot of them. I would suggest either enjoying the water, or bring cash and cheerfully support the local economy while getting plenty of souvenirs and being serenaded ;)

View of back of ship taking shuttle back on pier:

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3648%3B%3A589%3B34%3Anu0mrj

Day 3, Costa Maya, Mexico, continued

After returning to the ship, we went back to the pool, and surprise, they were doing face painting for the kids!

232323232%7Ffp54364%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3648%3B%3A58%3A634%3Anu0mrj

We back to the Versailles for dinner and I had the pot roast (F) and tiramisu (A). Daughter had lemon sorbet (A).

232323232%7Ffp54392%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3648%3B%3A58%3A734%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3A9%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3648%3B%3A58%3A934%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp734%3B2%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3648%3B%3A58%3A834%3Anu0mrj

Day 4, Belize, a Once in a Lifetime experience

I opted to do a NCL excursion this day, and boy am I glad I did! Belize is a tender port, so we waited in the Stardust theater until our tour was called. Then we caught our boat to the shore.

Upon reaching short, found out that we would take a charter bus out to Altun Ha ruins and come back via boat down the Old Belize River. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and funny as we managed the cramped little streets before heading out into the country. I think he said it was 30 minutes to the Mayan ruins, and the bus was nice and air conditioned, but it was a long bumpy ride.

During our trip we saw a lot of poverty, but Belize has such a wealth of natural resources that I look forward to their triumph in the coming years. Currently tourism is their 2nd largest industry, and they are smartly protecting their wildlife and ecosystems.

We reached the ruins and it was a very short walk from the parking lot to the ruins. Bring sunscreen and bug spray and extra water because it gets hot. There are restrooms and local souvenir vendors there that are reasonably priced.

232323232%7Ffp543%3A9%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D36493%3A665234%3Anu0mrj

The ruins were spectacular. I was so proud of myself - I made it to the top of the above even though I'm 49 and out-of-shape. :rolleyes: I was fascinated about not only the story of the Mayan's themselves, but how the ruins were accidentally discovered.

The view from the top:

232323232%7Ffp7349%3A%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D36493%3A383734%3Anu0mrj

After touring the ruins and making some quick purchases, we got back on the bus to go to an eco-park where we were to have lunch. It had a pool, horseback rides, and bicycle tours there. I assume these were other available excursions, but ours was the best :p

Lunch was a mini-buffet of a chicken, red beans 'n rice, fried plantains, potato salad and fruit punch. potato salad, red beans 'n rice, fruit punch, and fried plantains great. chicken no doubt fine if you like brown meat. They have a bar there, so you could probably pay for a libation if you liked.

Day 4, Belize, continued, The River Safari

After we finished eating, we walked about a quarter mile and caught a school bus the last mile to the river to catch the speed boat for the river safari. We were accompanied by original tour guide, our Maya tour guide, and the boat driver himself was a wildlife guide that knew the river and the best places to see the animals.

We saw:

• Howler Monkeys
  • Large Iguanas
  • Crocodiles
  • Bats
  • Tropical Birds like I've never scene before
  • Hawks
  • Manatees
  • Turtles

A couple that we didn't see:

• Spider monkeys
  • Dolphins

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D36493%3B%3A76%3A34%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp5438%3B%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D36493%3B%3A78734%3Anu0mrj

As we exited the mouth of the river, we sped up in open waters to make it back to the pier. Below you can see the cruise ships in the distance. It was exhilarating to feel the breeze on our faces as we hit the waves!

232323232%7Ffp7348%3B%3Enu%3D4748%3E89%3A%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3649426%3A%3B%3B34%3Anu0mrj

We then caught the tender boat back to the ship. So instead of the movie Trains, Plains and Automobiles, we had Boats, Buses, School buses and Speedboats.

This one day made the whole cruise worth it to me.

Sounds like a fabulous day in Belize, and I am extraordinarily envious. ;)

We had a western caribbean cruise booked several years ago but had to cancel. It is still on my list of future cruises, and after reading your review I suspect it will happen sooner, rather than later.

:)

Sounds like a fabulous day in Belize, and I am extraordinarily envious. ;)

We had a western caribbean cruise booked several years ago but had to cancel. It is still on my list of future cruises, and after reading your review I suspect it will happen sooner, rather than later.

:)

I am enjoying reading Suzanne's trip report too! Especially since we were booked on this cruise and had to cancel. :(

The entire week I kept thinking "we could have been on the Star......" Then on Easter Sunday, I kept thinking "we could have been in New Orleans....." lol

I'm sorry we missed the cruise, but it's nice to get a taste of what it was like! ;)

Archived