Sail Away?

casbar3

The best sailaways are in foreign ports, particularly if their are other ships also in port. The Southampton one is more of an emotional thing than a celebratory one I always think.

Hi, with reference to the Southampton sailaway, it has become a non event now P&O have decided not to have a band playing at the sailaway - oh sorry now they can't find a set of musicians according to a staff member on the Oceana New Year Cruise.

They really do take the biscuit with some of the reasons they give!

I am still a commited P&O cruiser - looking forward to Thursday on Azura for 12 nights but I'm afraid there seems to be a strong influence from Carnival to remove the British favourite touches.

My advice is to forget the sailaway and enjoy the cruise to come, oh they will still try to peddle the champagne whilst you drift away from the quayside silently!

When you're leaving your most distant or last port and start heading for home, there's usually the Great British sailaway led by the Ents Officers. It tends to be very well-attended with flag-waving, singing British songs and generally a lot of fun. At other ports there's usually a get-together round the pool with the DJ, and occasionally one of the bands

Southampton these days is a bit of a let down in comparison. The waiters go around with glasses of 'champagne' (which they do at evry sailaway and which you pay for!) and people just hang around the decks waving goodbye

Does every ship have a "Sail Away" when they leave Southampton?

If so, what does it entail and will there be any more?

Yes there is.

The main part used to be on the prom deck with the band playing. This does not happen now.

However there is a sail away where they play music on the ship. The position depends on the ship. On Oriana and Aurora it is at the stern. Clearly they work better in the summer.

At the sailaway you can use your free champagne voucher if you are above a certain tier on the peninsular club. Other wise you can buy the stuff.

All this happens within half an hour of the end of the safety drill.

Gang Canny

Dai

:cool:

One of my special memories from our Oceana cruise was the band playing 'One moment in time' by Whitney before we left. It was very special. Am so sad that they don't have the band anymore - shame on P&O... I fail to see why it was cancelled.

Re the sailaways - The Great British Sailaway from Gibraltar was special - but I bet that is now on the list of things to go ----------

We usually spend sailaways in our balcony, glass in hand !

Archived