Mosquito Protection at Wonder Lake

Oldnslow1

We are set to visit Wonder Lake the second week of June. I understand netting and deet is needed. Should I wait to buy these items at Wal-Mart in Wasilla or bring them with me in our luggage?

Thanks,

Oldnslow1

I was waiting for a local to answer this. We were in Kantishna for three days last year in early June. You will have mosquitoes for sure. I bought a head covering net at REI in Anchorage and I wore it for hikes although it did ruin the pictures! At the roadhouse they had a spray that was available and liberally used. They also provided head nets but nobody else seemed to use them Actually mine was nicer and I wore it right over my hat.

You will probably be able to buy these and mosquito repellant when you get to Alaska if you are doing your own tour. I tried to stay away from the spray but you can also spray your clothes if you tend to attract mosquitoes.

Have fun!

We are set to visit Wonder Lake the second week of June. I understand netting and deet is needed. Should I wait to buy these items at Wal-Mart in Wasilla or bring them with me in our luggage?

Thanks,

Oldnslow1

They are readily available in Alaska.

if you're driving, you'll probably want to stop in Wasilla for groceries, so you might as well get the head net there. OTOH they only cost a few bucks and take up zero space, so either/or.

Will you be making any stops before Wasilla where you might need the net? Eagle River Nature Center, Thunderbird Falls

Mosquitoes in AK are the size of small birds with blood suckers that are about 10 inches long. In fact, the state bird of AK is the mosquito.

Just kidding but my wife is a mosquito attractant. Any mosquito within a 10 mile radius finds her and bites her. She was miserable at Wonder Lake until she put doused herself with DEET and put on the net.

DON

Head nets are great. In fact I own a 2 piece body net outfit that really works well. The net pants pull up over everything from book tops to waist.....very see through so your have to wears clothes underneath. The top works like a zipper jacker.

A head net is so handy for the intended purpose, but I also use mine for rip drying hand washed laundry (clip it to the shower poll and let things drip away).

Archived