How to I.D. my luggage from yours???

gg3

I've gone to the fabric store and got the most vibrant color material I could find and tied big bows on the handles of our luggage. I've also seen people take duct tape and make a huge initial on the outside of their bags! It was VERY noticable!

Deb

I travel all over the world and whether your luggage is green, floral, black or red

you always seem to find someone with the same bags on your flight.

go to the dollar store. they have all sorts of curling ribbon. I purchase the most hideous color combos you can imagine. I have neon green with neon pink

and neon orange. All 3 colors are tied onto each bag in a large bunch for myself and my husband.

Can never miss my bags & we can spot them anywhere LOL

We have used short 'streamers' of bright colored yarn, putting them on all the zipper pulls and the handles. It's amazing how much a little piece of color stands out in a sea of black luggage. (can't tell ya what color we use, cause then ours might get mixed up!:p )

Our luggage has usually all been together also, since it is so obvious they belong together.

I figure since luggage gets banged up so much during handling, it really doesn't matter if mine looks like new. So, I got a very large white marker at the craft store and marked my first initial directly on the luggage in several locations (top, front, back, sides). You can't miss it, no one else could ever mistake it for theirs, and it doesn't come off or come untied. If it fades a little over time, just reapply the marker. No problems at all since I did this.

Interestingly, we disembarked in Seattle last week and saw some luggage being returned to "lost and found". One black suitcase had a huge pom-pom and one would think would be a "yours only" item. However it was picked up by the wrong passenger. Please check closely to make certain you have the "correct" bags. Thanks. Please be court:) eous.

When we got to Anchorage I saw at least ten black bags with red wool pom-poms all belonging to different people. We have Blue and Red suitcases, each one has a big Canadian Flag on their sides. They also have a laminated coloured card with our name and international phone number and a picture of our dog. So far it works for us.

My husband took bright orange flourescent spray paint and sprayed a big orange "dot" on all sides of the luggage. Looks pretty weird, but it definitely makes them stand out. Also makes them so ugly that no one else would want them! We've received many comments about what a "unique" way to mark our luggage.

Jennifer

My husband took bright orange flourescent spray paint and sprayed a big orange "dot" on all sides of the luggage. Looks pretty weird, but it definitely makes them stand out. Also makes them so ugly that no one else would want them! We've received many comments about what a "unique" way to mark our luggage.

Jennifer

LOL!

We use bright ties around the handles, but travelling this year has taught me that they're not big enough (and one came off!)! The solution? Larger, plasticy ties should be the most durable. Actually what ended up working for us for our return flight home was the Princess disembarkation tag. Our flight had no other cruise passengers (at least not that I know of), so that Princess tag made our luggage really easy to find.

Some of the most noticeable ones I've seen were the ones with large, fluorescent duct tape letters on them. Wow.

This makes me worry a bit. Never had a problem with finding a piece of luggage.

But I never been on a cruise so...

My fine idea is:

Take nice picture of your self, your favorite actor, your dog or a nice palmtree. Print it out on a t-shirt transfer paper and iron it on your luggage. Works only if you have fabric... Dont think platsic is to good with an iron...

With the plastic luggage: Huge stickers!

Or let the children paint something for you with a spraycan

Check with your frineds if they have children how does grafitti, or is just a good painter and let them paint the entire case.

Let's see some pictures of the most outrageous marking.

Have a nice cruise everybody.

/Sandra

Over the years, I saved all those little zipper pull toys from McDonalds that came in my childrens happy meals.They have all different "heads' on them i.e...piglet, pooh, furbys, and just clip them on the handles of my luggage! I know when I see Piglet coming around, It's my bag!:) Jaxson

So many people mark their bags with red or blue ribbon / material / pom poms, that I wanted something different. I decided upon some material that I had used to make a Halloween costume. It is bright orange with pumkins, bats, and witches all over it. I made streamers out of it and tied to the handles. So far, I am yet to find anyone else's marker that even vaguely resembles ours; and it's so easy to spot! :D

I just went out and bought new luggage! We now own khaki colored luggage and have red ID tags on them. After someone picked up my bags in Baltimore and it took 12 hours for the people to return my luggage and the airlines to get it to the hotel, that was the end of the black luggage!

Just went out and purchased red luggage after realizing that the majority of luggage in that huge room is black. Even with flourescent green handle tags, it took a long time to locate our luggage. My daughter tells of almost leaving the building before realizing that she had the wrong suitcase. Let's see if red with green handle tags helps at all.

awfw

Thanks 4 all the GREAT suggestions. :) It never ceases to amaze me how creative folks are. I have traveled for years with black luggage, using ribbon with Halloween candy corn pictures on it. I tie this to every strap and find it pretty quickly. But I do like some of the other ideas that can be seen from a longer distance. Cax, when you go into the terminal to claim your luggage, there are thousands of pieces of black luggage laying all over the floor, so it does help to have your own ID on it, and yes, even then make sure it is yours - there might be two people with the same weird pom pom colors. Even more unique are the suggestions of kids drawings, family pets - unique ONLY to you - now thats a hit !!! gg

Interestingly, we disembarked in Seattle last week and saw some luggage being returned to "lost and found". One black suitcase had a huge pom-pom and one would think would be a "yours only" item. However it was picked up by the wrong passenger. Please check closely to make certain you have the "correct" bags. Thanks. Please be court:) eous.

This happened to me too in Seattle recently---almost. I was standing at the carousel and watched in amazement as a woman removed my bag---light olive bag with a bright orange ribbon and put it on her luggage cart. I walked up to her and said: "Excuse me, but that is my bag. Have you looked at the tags?" She said it was just like hers and she hadn't checked the tag, so I pointed out my name on the tag and took the bag. I watched her as she finally got her own bag that was not even the same color---light brown! So you really have to watch carefully in an airport. Of course in the luggage claim area at port I hope people are more careful, but one never knows.

the same way that I mark our 'black' suitcases....but I'm not gonna tell you how that is :p cause then someone else will duplicate my way and I will once again never find it :D ...So it's my little secret (that stands out in a crowd!!)

June

Just went out and purchased red luggage....

That's what we did. (I hope I can tell mine from yours!) But, lately I only take the red luggage when I'm carrying on/off, because the baggage carousels are hard on red luggage. The wheels from other luggage (and probably the mechanics of the carousels, too) have left black marks on my nice new Kipling bags.

Archived