MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

Thanks everyone! And thanks to everyone who answered all my questions! If you have any I'll do my best to answer with first hand experience!

I'll be doing the internet package, so if I have time, I'll check in here. Got to go finish all my last minute tasks!

Can't wait to see some NEW photo's of the ship! I'm sure you will find some of the good hidden places! make sure you get some of your wonderful room and balcony, with you in them of course!Can't wait to have you fill in all the anwers to some of the blanks! ENJOY!!! We will Post some of you leaving NY.

How much cash do people usually bring on cruises. We are going on the splendor in a couple of weeks. We have prepaid our tips. How much would we need for just the ship for other tips ect. We are not putting cash on our Sign & Sail account.How much should we bring for the ports? We are going to Grand Turk, HMC & Nassau. Do these ports use US dollars?

How much cash do people usually bring on cruises. We are going on the splendor in a couple of weeks. We have prepaid our tips. How much would we need for just the ship for other tips ect. We are not putting cash on our Sign & Sail account.How much should we bring for the ports? We are going to Grand Turk, HMC & Nassau. Do these ports use US dollars?

You can bring as much or as little cash as you want to spend, any and all expenses on the ship and HMC will go on your sign and sail card. It just depends on what you would like to buy when in Nassau or Grand Turk. You can pay off your sign and sail card with cash before leaving the ship. Or just leave the charges on your credit card and pay when you get the bill.. There are bank machines in Nassau and YES US dollars at all

Is that the Verrazano? They must have left earlier than usual because I always see the ship from the SI ferry coming into the bay around 5:30. It looks like at 5:18 they were already under the bridge.

I watched one of my friends sail away on the Splendor this afternoon. Damn raindrops on the webcam.

I've heard that the lines for the Mongolian Wok aren't too bad on the first day or so, and then people start discovering it. Perhaps I shouldn't tell people - the less people who know, the better for me :p

Got Mongolian Wok food on embarkation day: 45 minute+ wait (was there around 12:30). It's always busy. If you happen to go back on the ship for any reason during a port day, that's your best bet.

My husband and I are leaving Dec. 27th (we couldn't pass up the great price) we booked inside spa cabin does anyone know more information on this cabin? We are very excited and love to celebrate the New Year on a ship.

Dorene

Wonderful spa cabin set up, you'll love it. The obvious perk is that you'll have spa access--take advantage of that! Also, rock the spa robe, feel the comfort of the slippers, and enjoy the Elemis products that come in your cabin (you also get yellow beach towels instead of the blue ones everyone else gets--in case you're the type that likes to always feel special lol). The not so obvious perks that you will end up enjoying are:

Location--short walk to Lido for food, up a tiny flight of stairs to the spa, two flights up to the Serenity lounging area

Elevators--you're only competing with a small amount of people on deck 11 to get an elevator to take you anywhere else on board (this will be very good on port days)

Noise--It's generally less noisy because there are just fewer people having to walk through your area to get to their cabin

Debarkation--One of the first groups to get out

Once I cruised spa cabin I didn't want to go back to non-spa! I'll be pretty sad if a ship has the perfect itinerary but no spa. Enjoy the room and everything that comes with it!

Is that the Verrazano? They must have left earlier than usual because I always see the ship from the SI ferry coming into the bay around 5:30. It looks like at 5:18 they were already under the bridge.

I think that is the Verrazano. I was in touch with my friend during sail away and she said they left late but it sounds like leaving late from NYC is typical. :p

I think that is the Verrazano. I was in touch with my friend during sail away and she said they left late but it sounds like leaving late from NYC is typical. :p

VN Bridge is the only bridge you sail under out of Manhattan. I think the posted time to sail is 4pm for most ships and they usually don't leave until at least 5pm. I can't imagine doing the Muster Drill in that weather but I'm sure they are all having a BLAST by now and hopefully when they wake up tomorrow they will be in nicer weather.

VN Bridge is the only bridge you sail under out of Manhattan. I think the posted time to sail is 4pm for most ships and they usually don't leave until at least 5pm. I can't imagine doing the Muster Drill in that weather but I'm sure they are all having a BLAST by now and hopefully when they wake up tomorrow they will be in nicer weather.

It was snowing in March when I sailed from NYC. At least people weren't sweating their asses off at safety drill! :D

It was snowing in March when I sailed from NYC. At least people weren't sweating their asses off at safety drill! :D

We sailed on the Miracle on 2/10 which was 2 days after NEMO. Fortunately that day the sun was shining but it was freezing cold and snow was all over the place...did the muster drill and the sun was shining on our faces and we were buffeted from the wind and it was so warm that I could have taken my coat off. Felt like summer time! One of the strangest Musters I have ever been thru! :p

Does anybody else find themselves constantly checking out the deck webcams? I downloaded yhe **** mate app and I find myself checking in to see what's going on on the ship. Today it appears tgat the pool has been closed. I wonder what the deal is . I'm sure we'll get a full report when they get back...

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We sailed on the Miracle on 2/10 which was 2 days after NEMO. Fortunately that day the sun was shining but it was freezing cold and snow was all over the place...did the muster drill and the sun was shining on our faces and we were buffeted from the wind and it was so warm that I could have taken my coat off. Felt like summer time! One of the strangest Musters I have ever been thru! :p

This was the Miracle sail away from NYC in March when she began her trip to Sunny Southern California.

544594_4507641899733_1397406922_n.jpg

Does anybody else find themselves constantly checking out the deck webcams? I downloaded yhe **** mate app and I find myself checking in to see what's going on on the ship. Today it appears tgat the pool has been closed. I wonder what the deal is . I'm sure we'll get a full report when they get back...

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

When we were on Splendor last month they had the pool roof closed the lst day because the weather was crappy and chilly. 2nd day (today for them :p) it was beautiful and they opened the roof about 11am, but the wind made it SO COLD. So about 2 hours later they closed it again. Often wonder who is in charge of deciding...figured the head pool man who was there a LOT, but maybe the Captain.

You're welcome! Was definitely a different kind of sail away. What was funny was the day before when we left New Hampshire it was 11 degrees so 32-33 degrees was sweatshirt weather for us compared to all kinds of people in big winter jackets, hats, gloves... :D

Now, that's a cruise pic like I've never seen before. Thanks for posting it!

we were on the same cruise. had a snowball fight on serenity aft . . . and some guys made a snowman!!!

Were you in the ship dvd of the people having the snowball fight? :D

How'd you like the cruise? I absolutel loved it! That was my first time out of NYC but second time doing the Panama Canal transit. I'm hoping to do the Canal again when the Legend starts her journey towards the land down under in 2014.

we were on the same cruise. had a snowball fight on serenity aft . . . and some guys made a snowman!!!

The cruise was fabulous. I loved every minute . . . didn't even mind the snow since I cruise from NY often, it was something different. I would definitely do a crossing again, although the canal day was HOT!!!!! We persevered and stayed out all day --- had a bar waiter bring us ice to melt on our foreheads and feet to keep us cool.

We were in the DVD of the trip on sail away and other times throughout the week.

The cruise was fabulous. I loved every minute . . . didn't even mind the snow since I cruise from NY often, it was something different. I would definitely do a crossing again, although the canal day was HOT!!!!! We persevered and stayed out all day --- had a bar waiter bring us ice to melt on our foreheads and feet to keep us cool.

We were in the DVD of the trip on sail away and other times throughout the week.

Bill and I were in the dvd a couple of times during sail away and my friend Denise and I were in the dvd at the mixologist contest and maybe another time or two. You might recognize us from the pictures...

Bill sail away afternoon.

73129_4519110146432_1088643089_n.jpg

Me and Denise ~ mixologist contest (we laughed and smiled a LOT on this cruise)

544735_4506725636827_1726671191_n.jpg

Me, Denise and our new friend Carol second to last night on the cruise. Mr. Radu took our picture. Denise and Carol spent most nights in the piano bar.

479895_171782296310259_401569419_n.jpg

Me and Bill first night MDR.

521689_4522840799696_834276559_n.jpg

We had the best time on this cruise. Met up with a couple that I befriended on the Splendor last October, finally met Denise who I had been online friends with for a couple of years, befriended Carol, met another online friend Jack who was the winner of Mr. Radu's photo contest. The maître d Elvis was on the Splendor when I sailed her last October and we had chatted every night during that sailing so it was great fun to see him on the Miracle. So many great memories on Miracle and I made some new friends. I'll be sailing on the Splendor b2b in December and Denise and Carol will also be on those sailings. Fun times!

I don't know about any of the other sailings on the Splendor... but man the prices for December 3rd & December 11th are crazy cheap right now. I upgraded from inside cabin to OV for both my December 3rd & 11th cruises for less than what I originally booked my inside for. Sweet! :D

Edited by irishlizz