MORE things Splendor ... NY style!

Cyber Kat

BTW, Kath, do you know who the current Captain is? It used to be Giorgio Pagano.

I'm really terrible with names :D - I have all the Fun Times so I'll make sure, but I'm fairly certain that was his name. He said he'd been with the ship from it's launch. He was very nice, friendly and personable.

Kath, I WARNED you about that walk! :p And I knew you'd love El Mojito. I just looked up the B2B in Jan, 2015 and it sounds like something that would be perfect for us. But 16 days....how do I break the news to Tucker?? :eek::(

I'm really terrible with names :D - I have all the Fun Times so I'll make sure, but I'm fairly certain that was his name. He said he'd been with the ship from it's launch. He was very nice, friendly and personable.

I have in my Fun Times that Ettore Bovo was our Captain. This is for the 5/9 sailing. :confused::confused::confused:

I'm really terrible with names :D  - I have all the Fun Times so I'll make sure, but I'm fairly certain  that was his name.  He said he'd been with the ship from it's launch.   He was very nice, friendly and personable. 	

I have in my Fun Times that Ettore Bovo was our Captain. This is for the 5/9 sailing. :confused::confused::confused:

Could be Giorgio Pagano was on vacation :confused:

Edited by sailorJo

I would love to do a Spirit class aft wrap - the rooms look really nice, but this was a good one. I think the deck 7 & 8 wraps were smaller than the deck 6 on the Miracle.

The cruise was really great and we got to the terminal first, so she found us! :p We met at the snack bar and it worked out well. We weren't in the way of the departing passengers and it was a good landmark.

You need to be the early worm to get one of the Vista suites. We were in one in February on the Legend and we got one that "opened" up 8 months out (previously booked and then cancelled).

[quote name=Cyber Kat;38845596.

We are seriously thinking about doing the NY-SJ SJ-NY on the Splendor in Jan 2015 as a B2B. I don't think we'll do the wrap because the sea days will be winter days. We'll probably get a balcony in the aft section. I found that we could get to most everything except the Gym' date=' Spa and Spectacular Theater quite easily.

BTW - we LOVED the El Mojito bar! We had a pre-dinner drink there every night and Gabrial and Rowena took excellent care of us![/quote]

We loved stopping at both the sushi & Mojito Bar before dinner. We are also thinking B2B NY-SJ-NY but were concerned about leaving from NY in winter.

Obviously I don't know how to use the quote function properly!

Edited by absolutely brilliant

I really liked the ship. I thought it was going to be a bit overwhelming because it was bigger than we were used to, but Carnival has enough consistencies in the layouts that it felt like home by the second day.

It was a LONG walk from stern to bow if we walked on Deck 6. It didn't seem as bad on Deck 5. I had heard that Deck 5 had a lot of traffic, but the only time it was noticeable was at dinner time.

I can't say that there was anything really unexpected, other than finding things more convenient than I had anticipated.

We are seriously thinking about doing the NY-SJ SJ-NY on the Splendor in Jan 2015 as a B2B. I don't think we'll do the wrap because the sea days will be winter days. We'll probably get a balcony in the aft section. I found that we could get to most everything except the Gym, Spa and Spectacular Theater quite easily.

BTW - we LOVED the El Mojito bar! We had a pre-dinner drink there every night and Gabrial and Rowena took excellent care of us!

We are doing the Splendor in Mar 2014 and booked Feb 2015 for the b2b. So excited about trying new ship. We usually cruise, Miracle, Pride n Glory

I'm tossing around the same idea. Would be a great B2B.

We are seriously thinking about doing the NY-SJ SJ-NY on the Splendor in Jan 2015 as a B2B. I don't think we'll do the wrap because the sea days will be winter days.

For anybody who has already gone on the Splendor I have a couple of questions about disembarking.

If you choose Option 2 for disembarking where they call you by Zone numbers you will not know what time you will get off the ship until you get your zone number so how would you arrange pickup that morning? How busy is it if you just get a regular yellow cab. How much does it cost to go from the terminal to JFK for two people. Carnival is offering to do it for $30 per person but it runs from 1PM until 7 PM? Our flight home leaves until 5 PM so I was thinking that maybe we could do a little more sight seeing before we left but we would have all our luggage with us. I would like a high zone number so we could kill some more time on the ship. Is there any system to assigning zone numbers so you could predict your zone number and so what time you would get off the ship?

Edited by swim25

For anybody who has already gone on the Splendor I have a couple of questions about disembarking.

. I would like a high zone number so we could kill some more time on the ship. Is there any system to assigning zone numbers so you could predict your zone number and so what time you would get off the ship?

You can go when they call your zone or wait until a later zone. We generally are the last people off the ship no matter what zone we are. One of the perks is that it is easier to find your luggage. We play cards on the lido deck and take some last minute pictures.

Once we had a someone moving the baggage give us a hard time about why we didn't get off when we were supposed to but that was no big deal.

Our Captain was definitely Georgio Pagano. I'm guessing that he might have been on vacation.

Our cruise director was supposed to be Tex or Malcom (John H's spreadsheet said the change over would be 6/26 - but we had Marcelo Alvarado - who was very nice, but a bit difficult to understand at times.

Our Captain was definitely Georgio Pagano. I'm guessing that he might have been on vacation.

Our cruise director was supposed to be Tex or Malcom (John H's spreadsheet said the change over would be 6/26 - but we had Marcelo Alvarado - who was very nice, but a bit difficult to understand at times.

When we were on the Pride a year ago this past April, we were invited to the diamond event (even though we are not diamond yet) which was a quarterly employee recognition event which was held in the paino bar. During the event we had the opportunity and had several conversations with the Captain and the senior staff. During one of these the Captain mentioned that they work (my memory is fuzzy here) either two months on and two months off or three months on and two months off. Not a bad gig.

So funny about the Captain's name...I usually don't pay much attention. I absolutely ADORED Capt. Volpi and was super upset he was transferred off the Miracle in between our 3rd and 4th cruises on her. What a character. He almost seemed like another passenger! We met the Capt. on our 5/9 sailing a few times. At the welcome aboard party because there were 2 "higher uppers" that were on Splendor that were also on Miracle and they recognized us and we chatted. Saw him a few times during the cruise and one time he was actually walking on Lido holding a little girl's hand. It was on Mother's Day and I guess I assumed it was his granddaughter. He was a short man...but darned if I knew what his name was until I looked it up on the Fun Times. Every day has the same name so it's not a mistake...another mystery to be solved. Jamman, you are going to have to confront the Capt. with this when you sail this summer! :D:eek:

So funny about the Captain's name...I usually don't pay much attention. I absolutely ADORED Capt. Volpi and was super upset he was transferred off the Miracle in between our 3rd and 4th cruises on her. What a character. He almost seemed like another passenger! We met the Capt. on our 5/9 sailing a few times. At the welcome aboard party because there were 2 "higher uppers" that were on Splendor that were also on Miracle and they recognized us and we chatted. Saw him a few times during the cruise and one time he was actually walking on Lido holding a little girl's hand. It was on Mother's Day and I guess I assumed it was his granddaughter. He was a short man...but darned if I knew what his name was until I looked it up on the Fun Times. Every day has the same name so it's not a mistake...another mystery to be solved. Jamman, you are going to have to confront the Capt. with this when you sail this summer! :D:eek:

I'm all over it Karry!! :D

We had Malcolm as our cd when we got married on the Miracle in 7/2010! We even participated in the love and marriage game show. It'd be nice to see him again when we sail the Splendor in July. He's a nice guy and from the Bronx! Woohoo!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you choose Option 2 for disembarking where they call you by Zone numbers you will not know what time you will get off the ship until you get your zone number so how would you arrange pickup that morning? How busy is it if you just get a regular yellow cab. How much does it cost to go from the terminal to JFK for two people. Carnival is offering to do it for $30 per person but it runs from 1PM until 7 PM? Our flight home leaves until 5 PM so I was thinking that maybe we could do a little more sight seeing before we left but we would have all our luggage with us. I would like a high zone number so we could kill some more time on the ship. Is there any system to assigning zone numbers so you could predict your zone number and so what time you would get off the ship?

There's a cab stand right across from the pier but it's a total joke. You would think there would be a line up of cabs waiting to get people (like Penn Station) but not only was no call put out for cabs by the people monitoring the cab line, any cabs that did pass by were already full. However, we were trying to get cabs around 7:45/8 so it was rush hour. Still, call your own cab and wait somewhere else because the people at the stand are doing nothing but keeping the line in order for the non-existing cabs.

Anyway, I looked up the fare for a taxi from the port to JFK and it's ~$55-60 so for two people it seems like either option is about the same. The least expensive option is SuperShuttle, ~$35 total for both of you, there are also coupons online you can search for.

Hi Karen:)

I was on the Splendor for a B2B voyage from May 25 to June 10. Capt Pagano

got on the ship June 5th in Puerto Rico and Capt Bovo got off.

May 25 to June 4th Capt Bovo is on my fun times, June 5th to the 10th it says Pagano.

:)

We are seriously thinking about doing the NY-SJ SJ-NY on the Splendor in Jan 2015 as a B2B.

Hi Kat:)

My wife & I disembarked the Splendor June 10th after a terrific 16-day

voyage. On June 12th we booked the NY-San Juan / San Juan-NY back to back

for February 13 to March 1, 2015.

Our wedding anniversary is on the 14th, a special Valentine's Day cruise,

we are so excited! Many months to save, and of course having another reservation

helps take away those post cruise blues..

I am going out on the Splendor the end of July.

Am interested in doing a serenity day - can i book this in advance, or is this something i book when i get on the cruise? How much for the day and if u did this was it worth it?

How about lounge chairs - did u have to get up b4 sunrise?

Lisa

Am interested in doing a serenity day - can i book this in advance, or is this something i book when i get on the cruise? How much for the day and if u did this was it worth it?

Lisa

If you mean the Serenity Deck, there's nothing to book - you just have to get up and get yourself in a lounge chair. It didn't cost anything.

We checked it out, but we had lounge chairs on our balcony, so we didn't use it. Would have liked a couple of those nice pads though ;)

I don't know how serene it was, though - it's right under the deck with the mini golf course and right by the water slide. Seemed to be a bit noisy.

Hi Karen:)

I was on the Splendor for a B2B voyage from May 25 to June 10. Capt Pagano

got on the ship June 5th in Puerto Rico and Capt Bovo got off.

May 25 to June 4th Capt Bovo is on my fun times, June 5th to the 10th it says Pagano.

Thanks for the info....another mystery solved! :p

Lisa

Lisa, as Kat said, you don't need a reservation for the Serenity area. Every review I have read raves about them, and most people say how hard it is to find a place to sit if you are not there at the crack of dawn. We are not into that too much. We like to be at the main pool or adult pool "where the action is." :eek: But we checked out Serenity on the Miracle in Feb. as we stayed on the ship in Nassau and it had recently been added to the ship after dry dock. Fell in love with the place! Clam shells, hammocks, padded lounge chairs. Very nice. We did not sit in Serenity on the Splendor but checked it out and I was a bit disappointed that it is really just padded lounge chairs. And as Kat mentioned, right below a busy area.