Food on Board Costa Mediterranea

Dunroamin

Hi there

I am new to this board and me and my husband love cruising.

We have seen an offer for Costa Mediterranea and as the liner is Italian, I am a little concerned about the food. I love Italian but my husband is not very adventurous and in fact prefers plain english food. Would he be offered an alternative to Pasta and their sauces as he hates both? :)

We love to Fly, Cruise & Stay and have done this before. The offer we have been given is to the Eastern Med 7+7 cruise & stay at a very reasonable £759 from Bham, England.

Any suggestions if this cruise is not suitable due to the food ?

TIA

It's necessary to define "food" on a cruise ship to be able to get helpful information.

"Food" on a cruise is first and foremost how the whole system is organized and what options are available.

On a classy ship you'll find:

Main Dining Room (MDR) - included in the price

Buffet - included in the price

Other dining options - included in the price

Extra charge venues - a few restaurants or smaller venues that serve food for extra charge.

Costa offers MDR, limited hours in the buffet (no dinner), only one extra charge restaurant, no alternative venues included in the price.

This sort of dining system is the poorest at sea. Simply the worst.

Food quality?

MDR - average to good. No comparison with the "real" cruise products.

Buffet - from my experience with their largest and newest ship - poor, insulting.

Being confined to MDR with no alternatives is dead boring.

Is the food Italian?

No. This is "Costa food".

Italy is a beautiful country with fine cuisine.

Don't confuse Costa with Italy.

You'll need to do your research.

Look for menus to get an idea what exactly (at least by items) is included.

Hopefully the Costa Mediterranea will do a better job for you.

Thanks for that, I really don't expect 5* treatment on what is priced at a bargain basement offer but Costa Ships do look luxurious in their style

What is "style"?

Decor - the least luxurious, cheap crazy glitz that you can see on Carnival ships.

Design (ship planning and amenities) - the Costa Mediterranea belongs to the Spirit class that is not bad. Possibly a ship #5 in Costa fleet by design.

• 3 weeks later...

just came back : be prepared for

icy and very small pools

cold hot tubs

sliding roof often not working and explanations given are : "we are waiting for OK of from satellite station, it cannot be closed while navigating because it slows the ship that so will use more fuel" and other similar.

check if sauna and steam bath are working before showering and going in

lousy breakfast : very poor choice

the food is not italian, it is "Costa"

the pasta and sauces are not what you would eat in any cheap restaurant on land, in Italy. They are simply pasta as a german cook would cook it.

the entertainement is terrible

the help you may get from front desk is zero, and after maybe a half an hour line.

the wc often clogs up, no special reason given

The inside decor looks like it was done by a hippie on a trip

icy and very small pools

cold hot tubs

sliding roof often not working and explanations given are : "we are waiting for OK of from satellite station, it cannot be closed while navigating because it slows the ship that so will use more fuel" and other similar.

check if sauna and steam bath are working before showering and going in

lousy breakfast : very poor choice

the pasta and sauces are not what you would eat in any cheap restaurant on land, in Italy. They are simply pasta as a german cook would cook it.

the entertainement is terrible

the help you may get from front desk is zero, and after maybe a half an hour line.

was there anything you liked about your vacation?

How much did you pay for this horrible experience?

was there anything you liked about your vacation?

How much did you pay for this horrible experience?

I paid a balcony 2.600 euros (for the two of us), I had booked one year before and our agent discovered 6 months prior to sailing that there had been a price drop so he cancelled the booking (we paid the fee 60 euros) and rebooked. The difference between the prices (original and discounted) was around 600 euros.

We did not have the flight because we hopped off the HAL Niew Amsterdam.

What did I like? not much, even the only excursion we took with them - and we were frightened with tales of rough locals - was in Tortola, Virgin Gorda.

We paid 200 euros for a tour that others (more informed) paid half price doing a do it yourself :-D. very funny

The locals were absolutely kind and helpful.

I liked the ports of call even if some problems occurred, but no cruise can be perfect :-)

I am almost sure I will never cruise Costa again or at least will do it only on the newest ships and at a very low price : like all the others.

Cold pools is a problem across all the Carnival brands. I don't know if it's faulty equipment design or something the lawyers have gotten their paws on, but Royal Caribean is the only line I've been on which has real hot tubs. Insist your TA does his homework this time, or get a new agent who's actually been on the ships he's selling.

Never have I stood in a half-hour line for the front desk, if it's busy why not come back later?

Costa is the only cruise line I've found where the musicians take pride in playing what the passengers want to hear. When I was on HAL the musicians looked so bored playing the crap HAL gave them, I wondered if they were going to fall asleep. But all the other passengers were already in bed anyway- totally different from Costa.

I agree Costa's food is not a strong point. If you want 24-hour feeding troughs and 6,000 calorie meals, HAL or Carnival are good choices. But Crystal Serenity's evening buffets were hardly better than Costa's, that's another thing you need a good TA for.

Never have I stood in a half-hour line for the front desk, if it's busy why not come back later?

the toilet stopped working for the second time in two days

I know how they work and do not use anything but the toilet paper they supply

I agree Costa's food is not a strong point. If you want 24-hour feeding troughs and 6,000 calorie meals, HAL or Carnival are good choices.

sorry to say that HAL is not as you describe it: no "troughs", they were on Costa Mediterranea though, which had a very poor choice in all meals.

Just came off the Niew Amsterdam, before getting on the Costa Mediterranea the difference was unbelievable and all in favour of HAL.

And also: we were never bored, stayed up late enjoying the music, the shown and the entertainement.

As I said, take it at its value : you get what you paid for, so don't bother getting a good cabin because you get the same things as those who pay very little for the same cruise.

the toilet stopped working for the second time in two days

I know how they work and do not use anything but the toilet paper they supply

sorry to say that HAL is not as you describe it: no "troughs", they were on Costa Mediterranea though, which had a very poor choice in all meals.

Just came off the Niew Amsterdam, before getting on the Costa Mediterranea the difference was unbelievable and all in favour of HAL.

And also: we were never bored, stayed up late enjoying the music, the shown and the entertainement.

As I said, take it at its value : you get what you paid for, so don't bother getting a good cabin because you get the same things as those who pay very little for the same cruise.

You sound as I did when we came back from our Magica cruise. We didnt pay much for it - so - no biggie .

Our friends are HUGE Hal cruisers - we four of us are going on neoRomantica in September - its a different ball game - beautiful wee ship - price per head is much higher than the other Costa ships - worth noting and if you see NeoR doing a route you like, do consider it. It is the only Costa ship we will return to as we imagine every big ship will be like our experience on Magica. (not good).

Our friends have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam - will let you know how they compare it to NeoRomantica. Suite service on NeoRomantica was first class - for sure - you should check it out. She is a stunning wee ship and food and service was a world apart from our experience on the Magica.

comparing hal to costa isn't valid. i've cruised multiple times on both lines. hal is MUCH more expensive, especially when you get into the balcony cabins.

i still think costa is doing themselves a disservice by operating the neoR differently. i say they should have created a sub-brand (like celebrity did with azamar) if they wanted to break into the boutique-cruising market.

i should add that i was very satisfied with the quantity, scope and quality of food on my recent mediterranea cruise. i posted a thread with pics of almost every meal i had onboard.

You sound as I did when we came back from our Magica cruise. We didnt pay much for it - so - no biggie .

Our friends are HUGE Hal cruisers - we four of us are going on neoRomantica in September - its a different ball game - beautiful wee ship - price per head is much higher than the other Costa ships - worth noting and if you see NeoR doing a route you like, do consider it. It is the only Costa ship we will return to as we imagine every big ship will be like our experience on Magica. (not good).

Our friends have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam - will let you know how they compare it to NeoRomantica. Suite service on NeoRomantica was first class - for sure - you should check it out. She is a stunning wee ship and food and service was a world apart from our experience on the Magica.

Yes: I was on Romantica twice before the restyling and loved it all the way. :-)

comparing hal to costa isn't valid. i've cruised multiple times on both lines. hal is MUCH more expensive, especially when you get into the balcony cabins.

i still think costa is doing themselves a disservice by operating the neoR differently. i say they should have created a sub-brand (like celebrity did with azamar) if they wanted to break into the boutique-cruising market.

i should add that i was very satisfied with the quantity, scope and quality of food on my recent mediterranea cruise. i posted a thread with pics of almost every meal i had onboard.

the difference I paid (same balcony on same deck both ships) was around 700 euros.

the difference in ship and service was enormous

I think Costa is doing a great job operating ships in a different way, I would enjoy the NeoRomantica anytime and pay willingly the difference.

Spending little money for a bad cruise is like throwing it away: better - IMHO - cruise less and spend more but come home satisfied.

I travelled Celebrity and loved them, no more "special offer" for me.

neoR is on my wish list for 2014. It looks from the deck plans that the dance floor is up to Costa standards, how is the music?

I agree Costa and Holland America are so different, it's hard to believe they're on the same planet. That worries me, paying a premium for neoR and finding out it's as boring as HAL. And HUGE people waddling up to the feeding troughs, as shameless as smokers and almost as repulsive. If that's the market neoR serves, it's the wrong ship for me.

Sorry about your lousy cruise but thanx for the laughs.

Pasta as a german cook would cook it

FUNNY !:D

Glad I read this thread. Heres one cruise line off my possibles list.(Because of the smoking policy)

BTW, we loved Celebrity!:)

neoR is on my wish list for 2014. It looks from the deck plans that the dance floor is up to Costa standards, how is the music?

I agree Costa and Holland America are so different, it's hard to believe they're on the same planet. That worries me, paying a premium for neoR and finding out it's as boring as HAL. And HUGE people waddling up to the feeding troughs, as shameless as smokers and almost as repulsive. If that's the market neoR serves, it's the wrong ship for me.

I've never been on Hal - but we are taking our two best friends in September for 13 nights on NeoR and they have been cruising HAL for years - will let you know what they think.

I'm not sure about "huge people waddling to feeding troughs" - I never really pay attention to people's size (although I do like to park myself on a sunlounger next to someone bigger than me so I can look skinny well skinniER;)). I do know that the buffet was much more refined than on the other Costa ship I was on - 100% - huge difference!

There were two main show lounges. One - The Grand lounge - was more the "silly stuff" if you know what I mean - the other - was the Vienna Cabaret Lounge - every night it had a great band on - always lively until around 1am - lots of dancing and big dance floors for sure!

After which we used the "Disco Tango Lounge" which we found to our liking more "grown up" than most cruise ship club lounges. We are late 40s and like to dance and party into the wee sma' hours - For a small ship - it was actually more lively late on than some of the bigger ships we have been on.

Your call - will update you with a second opinion later in the year see if its changed any.

We have traveled on Holland America, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival and Costa. With out a doubt Costa has the worst food of the lines I have travelled. Having said that, we are going on another Costa cruise because with my 2 children it is the cheapest way for us to travel to Asia and the Black Sea. We know the food will be bad but eatible. It is not all Italian and there is a wide selection of foods. It is just cheap food prepared poorly, but we are going for the destinations and not the food. You do indeed get what you pay for.

Glad I read this thread. Heres one cruise line off my possibles list.(Because of the smoking policy)

I simply adored Celebrity's Millie :-)

the dancing was great, pity - IMHO - there is little space.

Some dancers looked like they were real professionals :-)

i choose costa because of the smoking policy. good thing there are many lines to choose from.

Archived