Queen Mary 2 2015 World Voyage

cruiser101101

Hi guys

Does anyone know anything about Queen Mary 2's 2015 World Voyage?

I personally would like to see a repeat of 2010, when she sailed from Cape Town to Rio, from Rio to the Caribbean, from there to Miami and New York and from New York to Southampton.

These days the world voyage has turned into a circumnavigation of Australia. :mad:

It would certainly be nice to see a change. :D

Hi guys

Does anyone know anything about Queen Mary 2's 2015 World Voyage?

I personally would like to see a repeat of 2010, when she sailed from Cape Town to Rio, from Rio to the Caribbean, from there to Miami and New York and from New York to Southampton.

These days the world voyage has turned into a circumnavigation of Australia. :mad:

It would certainly be nice to see a change. :D

Will the Panama Canal be open by then and if so would she want to do a circumnavigation?

Unless those on this year's world voyage get some scuttlebutt Cunard does not give any indication of what will happen two years in advance. Holland America has already told the passengers on this year's WC the route of 2015 but I have not heard anyone mention Cunard doing the same.

In the past, Cunard announced her world voyages mid June-mid July but this year waited until mid-August (later here in the US but CC members posted the itineraries).

Glojo,

The latest article I read said the expansion of the canal would not be finished until mid-2015. I have also read conflicting reports about QM2 being able to get under the Bridge of the Americas, one saying QM2 could only fit under with 2 feet to spare. Supposedly, QM2 fits under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge with about 13 feet to spare at high tide. If the 2 feet on the Bridge of the Americas is true, Cunard might not want to chance it. (I wouldn't.)

Unless those on this year's world voyage get some scuttlebutt Cunard does not give any indication of what will happen two years in advance. Holland America has already told the passengers on this year's WC the route of 2015 but I have not heard anyone mention Cunard doing the same.

In the past, Cunard announced her world voyages mid June-mid July but this year waited until mid-August (later here in the US but CC members posted the itineraries).

Glojo,

The latest article I read said the expansion of the canal would not be finished until mid-2015. I have also read conflicting reports about QM2 being able to get under the Bridge of the Americas, one saying QM2 could only fit under with 2 feet to spare. Supposedly, QM2 fits under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge with about 13 feet to spare at high tide. If the 2 feet on the Bridge of the Americas is true, Cunard might not want to chance it. (I wouldn't.)

I see that you were one of the first to book the 2014 World Cruise and as you rightly suggest it will possibly be a few more months before the itinerary gets posted and if that ship does manage to navigate the canal it will probably be the 2016 cruise. It would be embarrassing if it does not get under that bridge as Cunard have been advertising how they are looking forward to their flagship finally doing circumnavigations which will include the Panama Canal. :o

• 2 months later...

I emailed Cunard asking the same thing. They told me that mid July 2013 is when, but they didn't know the exact date. Not long to wait. Looking forward to seeing if QV does the Cape Horn and Panama thing again....

I see that you were one of the first to book the 2014 World Cruise and as you rightly suggest it will possibly be a few more months before the itinerary gets posted and if that ship does manage to navigate the canal it will probably be the 2016 cruise. It would be embarrassing if it does not get under that bridge as Cunard have been advertising how they are looking forward to their flagship finally doing circumnavigations which will include the Panama Canal. :o

Where did you see the advertising of Cunard saying they look forward to QM2 going through the canal?

They wouldn't 'finally' be doing a circumnavigation of the world as they've already done one taking QM2 around Cape Horn.

QM 2 has only circumnavigated Australia once and will repeat this in 2014. It's very popular and the ship will be full. And it's expensive so worth a lot of money to cunard and probably supplements the cost of the World tour which is proportionately cheaper than the circumnavigation.

Having said that I wonder if this might be the last one for a while but I have no evidence for that idea.

I emailed Cunard asking the same thing. They told me that mid July 2013 is when, but they didn't know the exact date. Not long to wait. Looking forward to seeing if QV does the Cape Horn and Panama thing again....

If Cunard follows the pattern of the last few years, QV will do a complete circumnavigation and QE will do some kind of an extended voyage or maybe a South American intensive cruise like QV is doing in 2014.

Glojo,

Hi, I have not heard rumours that QM2 can't go under the bridge. I have heard that she will still be too wide to pass through he canal. Her lifeboats are higher up than other ships and they stick out. This would cause a problem in the locks.

This subject was being discussed on QM2 last year and the person that told me this was a senior officers wife. So who know? We will have to wait and see.

Personally, I would prefer QM2 to go round The Horn. I think that is far more exciting than the canal transit. I have done both and the ports of call in South America are just great.

However , here lies another problem The Commodore on QM2 last years world voyage came to Cruise Critic meeting and confirmed QM2 had NO plans to go round Cape Horn again as she had experienced berthing problems in Montevideo where they had dredged the harbour for her to get in. So who knows?

Glojo,

Hi, I have not heard rumours that QM2 can't go under the bridge. I have heard that she will still be too wide to pass through he canal. Her lifeboats are higher up than other ships and they stick out. This would cause a problem in the locks.

This subject was being discussed on QM2 last year and the person that told me this was a senior officers wife. So who know? We will have to wait and see.

Personally, I would prefer QM2 to go round The Horn. I think that is far more exciting than the canal transit. I have done both and the ports of call in South America are just great.

However , here lies another problem The Commodore on QM2 last years world voyage came to Cruise Critic meeting and confirmed QM2 had NO plans to go round Cape Horn again as she had experienced berthing problems in Montevideo where they had dredged the harbour for her to get in. So who knows?

The Bridge of the Americas has 201 feet clearance at high tide, QM2 is 236 feet from keel to the funnel top with 33 feet draught. That means that the height above the waterline is 203 feet. The tidal range there is said to be 15 feet so it would pass under at low tide but the depth of the channel would then possibly become an issue. Tricky one really.

I was just about to post something similar to the cap'n, namely that the QM2 is two feet too tall (at high tide) to go under the bridge (unless they grease the underside of the bridge and the top of the funnel :eek: . Actually, at speed, a ship can be slightly lower in the water, so if they take a 29 knot run at it... :D ).

Thank you cap'n for the info re: low tide and depth of channel.

I am keen to do the Panama Canal on QM2, so will watch the news/sailing schedules with interest.

Glojo,

Hi Maggie,

I am a critta for reading all type of posts regarding these ships and I suppose we will all just have to wait and see if the flagship ever navigates through this iconic canal.

I am not very with it this morning but I thought Mr Shanks discussed this when he was answering our questions?

If there were any South American cruises, I got the impression there would not be any further visits to the Falklands but this is me interpreting his diplomatic answer :rolleyes::(

I have heard that she will still be too wide to pass through he canal. Her lifeboats are higher up than other ships and they stick out. This would cause a problem in the locks.
Hi, I think the new locks will be 180 ft wide, 1,400 ft long and 60 ft deep.

I believe the QM2 is 135 ft wide at the hull and 148 ft over the bridge wings (although have seen it reported at 164 ft, which sounds too wide, maybe with the extensions :confused:).

So the locks should present no problem.

Just seen my previous post is a bit higgly, piggly and many apologies for that as somehow I managed to make a mess of the quotes!! I could blame someone else but I have no idea who!!

Hopefully they are now sorted and here we go for..... 'Take deux'

Hi Maggie,

I am a critta for reading all type of posts regarding these ships and I suppose we will all just have to wait and see if the flagship ever navigates through this iconic canal.

I am not very with it this morning but I thought Mr Shanks discussed this when he was answering our questions?

If there were any South American cruises, I got the impression there would not be any further visits to the Falklands but this is me interpreting his diplomatic answer :rolleyes::(

Just seen my previous post is a bit higgly, piggly and many apologies for that as somehow I managed to make a mess of the quotes!! I could blame someone else but I have no idea who!!

Hopefully they are now sorted and here we go for..... 'Take deux'

Hi John,

ummmmm.... you might want to look at them again :) :D ;)

All best wishes and no insult intended :) .

Hi John,

ummmmm.... you might want to look at them again :) :D ;)

All best wishes and no insult intended :) .

:(No insult taken .... I have been up all night, as high as a kite on morphine and still in awful pain but the sun is shining and these posts are making me smile.

Apologies if the quotes are all front to back, or just plain wrong but the bottom line might hopefully be that I have no knowledge of if it will fit or not although I suspect it might ;)

:(No insult taken .... I have been up all night, as high as a kite on morphine and still in awful pain but the sun is shining and these posts are making me smile.

Sincere best wishes to you, may your day go well :) .

Yours,

QM2 won't be sailing through the Panama Canal for the following reasons:

1. The Bridge of Americas is too low (or QM2 is too tall - whichever you want to go with).

2. The cost to Cunard would outweigh the financial benefit, even if she could just fit (which she cannot - the low tide option, which requires special approval, is too dangerous for a ship do large).

3. Cunard is making pots of money sailing around Australia and demand remains strong.

4. Cunard already has QE and QV which can sail through Panama. There is no pressing need for QM2 to follow suit.

Nice to discuss, but it just isn't going to happen.

Towards the end of her career, what might be more feasible, is for QM2 to sail via the Arctic route in summer. I'm sure this would also potentially allow European based cruise ships to reposition to the Pacific and Asia a whole lot quicker too.

Sincere best wishes to you, may your day go well :) .

Yours,

:DThe sun is shining, the Queen Mary 2 is entering New York, the British and Irish Lions are about to take on the Australians in the final match in Sydney with everything to play for.... How can anyone be sad or miserable.....

Swing low sweet chariot!!! :D

:DThe sun is shining, the Queen Mary 2 is entering New York, the British and Irish Lions are about to take on the Australians in the final match in Sydney with everything to play for.... How can anyone be sad or miserable.....

Swing low sweet chariot!!! :D

Yeah. But the Aussies are going to win. :)

Yeah. But the Aussies are going to win. :)
We poms are known for our whinging

When you Aussies appoint blind referees, organise committees that hear no evil, see no evil and not deal with evil... I fear you might be right, BUT.... You might not be :D:D:D Apologies for the thread drift but we have until Two thousand and lots, before the Queen Mary 2 may or may not navigate through the Panama.

Looking at the figures regarding widths, it looks like there is far more room to spare than when the Vista class squeeze through the current locks.

Game on, we are up and running........ C'mon you Lions :D

YES!!!!!

First blood 0 - 7 2minutes gone

We poms are known for our whinging

That's not news to me. :)

Score now please?

I have way too long to wait for my sector.

Brilliant:D

Lions are winning or should that be whining, although rumour has it we are now runners up in that competition

Lions are only just winning 16 - 22, Australia have made an excellent come-back. I certainly would not put any money on guessing who will win but c'mon you Lions :)

Score now please?

:D:D:DSeeing as you asked....

16 - 34 with 14 minutes to go!!!

Did I say SIXTEEN points to THIRTY FOUR (34)

That's Australia the home team 16 points, the British and Irish Lions the away team.... 34 points with just under 14 minutes to play

Oooops Belay my last.....

16 - 41 yup 41 points

I have NEVER seen a Lions team play so well on a foreign tour

Archived