Zuiderdam Cabins To Avoid!

profteedee

Just returned from our 10-day Panama Sunfarer Cruise. Stayed in an SY mini-suite. Loved the stateroom set-up - tons of storage space, double vanity and two showers with whirlpool tub in bathroom, large pull-out sofa bed, comfortable bed, desk area with window, ample balcony....but the reason I am writing this thread is to warn those who book staterooms 6109, 6111, 6113 and 6115 that in high seas (which we experienced on two nights - Bahamas to Curacao, Curacao to Aruba) there is a horrible banging and booming sound that resounds right outside the cabins. We thought that something massive was hitting the exterior wall as it actually shook with the noise. It was explained to us that it is a steel bulkhead that flexes with the ship movement and occurs when the ship is traveling at a high speed in rough seas. HAL did try to compensate us;they would have relocated us to a similar cabin or upgraded us but the ship was full so we were given a "sleeping room" - obstructed view cabin on Deck 4. We had to use it for two nights. We were also given a bottle of wine and a small monetary credit was awarded to our account. Had we not encountered the rough seas we would have not had a problem but I did want to alert future cruisers to the potential problem. All in all however, we had a great cruise and would cruise HAL again (this was our first HAL cruise).

This must be something new that is making noise because last year in May for the first 4 nights we were in cabin 6109 and we had extremely rough seas on our pacific coastal to Vancouver. So much so we missed our only port on that 4 night segment. It was quiet as can be in that cabin. As a matter of fact we hated when we moved up to deck 7 because the little mini fridge in 6109 worked really good everything was nice and cold but when we got to the new cabin it barely kept things at room temps :D

I realize it has been a year since I was on the Zuiderdam and things change:o

But I also will say that sounds and banging noises are quite common on any ship in rough seas. That is part of being on a ship. Please do not take this as being nasty but if you want quiet and no movement then possibly a land vacation is better suited. There is a noise that depending on which direction the seas are moving that can cause a banging noise to the hull in rough seas. There is really nothing the crew can do about this.

This must be something new that is making noise because last year in May for the first 4 nights we were in cabin 6109 and we had extremely rough seas on our pacific coastal to Vancouver. So much so we missed our only port on that 4 night segment. It was quiet as can be in that cabin. As a matter of fact we hated when we moved up to deck 7 because the little mini fridge in 6109 worked really good everything was nice and cold but when we got to the new cabin it barely kept things at room temps :D

I realize it has been a year since I was on the Zuiderdam and things change:o

But I also will say that sounds and banging noises are quite common on any ship in rough seas. That is part of being on a ship. Please do not take this as being nasty but if you want quiet and no movement then possibly a land vacation is better suited. There is a noise that depending on which direction the seas are moving that can cause a banging noise to the hull in rough seas. There is really nothing the crew can do about this.

Thanks, Lisa for your comments. I feel I do have to respond, however. We have been on eight other cruises and have encountered winds and rough seas. We are used to the noises often heard when the ship is in motion. Believe me, the noise we heard was like a cannon going off - it was not at all like anything we had ever heard before.

:eek: Oh my....we have room 6111 and we board her on Friday...HOPEFULLY we won't encounter rough seas.....UGH

Thanks for the information!!

Just to make you feel a little bit better, Terri. The noise was directly outside of Stateroom 6113 so they heard it the worst (our friends were staying there). The other cabins heard the "booming" as well but the sound was a little muffled. Hope you have a wonderful cruise! Smooth sailing all the way;)

• 1 month later...

Our VH just came through as VA 8128. Anyone on Zuiderdam Alaska know how much staff activity there is on deck night/dawn around the aft pool? Not too many towels and sun loungers to handle, I imagine! I usually try to get a deck between 2 other cabin decks.

All inside knowledge gratefully received.

Susana Molinos

Our VH just came through as VA 8128. Anyone on Zuiderdam Alaska know how much staff activity there is on deck night/dawn around the aft pool? Not too many towels and sun loungers to handle, I imagine! I usually try to get a deck between 2 other cabin decks.

All inside knowledge gratefully received.

Susana Molinos

Just not many folks using the pool or that deck in Alaska.:) (Except in Glacier Bay) There may be some people out on deck to see the stars between 1am and 4am but not many. After that it's light outside.

Enjoy your upgrade and your cruise.:)

Archived