HAL cruisetour? McKinley Explorer train

Rock_Dr

The HAL brochure says you board the "McKinley Explorer". Is this the same train as the Alaska Railroad "Denali Star"?

Are they just HAL private cares on the train? If they are just private cars, what type are they? Domed? Double decker with domed uppers? No Domes?

Are they equal to "Adventure Class" or "Gold Star Class" or something else?

Still looking at options.

Dave

If you go to the HAL web site there is more information and video of the train trip (and lots of other info on other stuff). I've found the HAL board here very helpful with any HAL specific questions I've had.

The HAL brochure says you board the "McKinley Explorer". Is this the same train as the Alaska Railroad "Denali Star"?

Are they just HAL private cares on the train? If they are just private cars, what type are they? Domed? Double decker with domed uppers? No Domes?

Are they equal to "Adventure Class" or "Gold Star Class" or something else?

Still looking at options.

Dave

2i9mkya.jpg

335cemw.jpg

The general opinion is that the HAL rail cars are nicer than the Alaska Railroad cars. As with the tour buses the HAL and Princess rail cars vanish at the end of the tourist season, so most Alaskans don't get to try them out.

Yes these are private cars, pulled behind the Alaska RR cars. HAL has all forward seating, and dome upper viewing.

With really big areas between the cars to stand & smoke or get really great photos of the passing scenery. The dining area is on the lower level as are the restrooms. The seats are similar to airline seats, but no overhead) and as BQ states they all face forward and are assigned when you board. The food is a little different than what is offered on the Alaska RR website too, but it is excellent. Best prime rib I've ever had anywhere! Not sure what prices are now, Prime Rib Dinner was $28 in 2011.

nesedy4y.jpg

u5ygu9as.jpg

9ypa4ury.jpg

We were on the McKinley Explorer last year. Incredibly good time. Very luxurious, smooth and easy ride. The Bloody Mary was the best I've ever had.

ajaby8a6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Freehike

Oh wow! Those are much nicer cars than the regular Alaska Railway cars (can't say how they compare to Gold Star Service, though). The food sounds better too (think overpriced Amtrack quality sandwiches on the regular train.) Still, I bet you are getting what you pay for. I'm taking the train from Anchorage to Seward for our cruise. We went through the Alaska Railroad site, and mailed in coupons from the Northern Lights coupon book. They were less than $40 apiece, and HAL was charging $122 for their train ride. It's nice that there are both budget and deluxe options.

Edited by tasha99

• 1 year later...

Lots of great info on the HAL rail section of their Denali excursion!!! I have been trying to find out something about this part of our tour ever since it was booked. Thanks so much for the wonderful pictures and information. Karen in Texas

//Royal Caribbean/Carnival/HAL

Was on the train lasy year in May, such a beautiful trip and wonderful views. The dining section was very good. The train slowed down when we went past Mt. Mckinley allowed some good photo shots. I think that you will enjoy the train.

Rick

If you're comparing this to Alaska Railroad cars, ARR did order new cars a few years back with which they compete with the cruise lines. The big difference in car design was the cruise line cars have observation platforms between the cars and the ARR cars have observation platforms on top of the cars. This is the gold level service which also has dining on those cars. I don't know if any of the cruise lines have bought new cars in recent years.

We stayed at the Anchorage Hilton, a high rise overlooking the rail yard. Being a railfan, I was up early to shoot video of the ARR putting together their trains for the day. It was interesting seeing them moving around the flashy cars from the various cruise lines. All the cruise line cars head out on the same train. I was also at the station to tape the train leaving so I could catch each group of cars as they went by. I'll have to see if I can dig out those videos.

With really big areas between the cars to stand & smoke or get really great photos of the passing scenery. The dining area is on the lower level as are the restrooms. The seats are similar to airline seats, but no overhead) and as BQ states they all face forward and are assigned when you board. The food is a little different than what is offered on the Alaska RR website too, but it is excellent. Best prime rib I've ever had anywhere! Not sure what prices are now, Prime Rib Dinner was $28 in 2011.

This is a quote from the Alaska RR site -

"Is there a smoking area, or designated smoking car, onboard the train?

No. Smoking is not permitted on any Alaska Railroad train. Passengers may smoke in designated smoking areas outside the depots prior to boarding the train. Passengers traveling on board the Denali Star may disembark for a few minutes at the Talkeetna and/or Denali depots while we board new passengers. There are no such stops on the Coastal Classic or Glacier Discovery trains."

Don't know about the cars owned by HAL or Princess but I would not want to stand in the vestibule trying to take pictures with someone next me blowing smoke all over me and my photo equipment.

DON