Snorkeling with Kids

Melb1127

I posted this at the scuba and snorkeling board but I wanted to put it here because it seems that there is more "traffic" on this board! :p

I'll be on the CP 8/20 sailing to St. Martin and St. Thomas. My kids are 6 and 8 and we really want to take them snorkeling. Can anyone tell me what the minimum age requirement is for snorkeling? Both girls can swim very well but the younger one gets tired faster than the rest of us.

Thanks for your help!

Buy them their own snorkels, masks and inflation devices, and snorkel with them right off the beach. Coki Beach in St. Thomas has good, adjacent to the beach snorkeling (as do many other beaches there, I'm sure; that's the one we were most recently at); in St. Maarten my kids had a ball just dunking under in shallow water with their masks on (no snorkels); the sea shells are really great there.

We usually just take the water taxi to the furthest point in St. Maarten and go to the beach there (I think it's Great Bay Beach); I know other beaches are probably even more pristine, but that's so handy to shopping on Front Street afterwards I just love that place! (And that's where we have consistently found lovely shells).

I agree with Travelgrrl. Bring their own gear, let them wear it at home first -take them to a pool so they can get a feel for it.

Our sons were 9 and 13 on their first cruise, the 13 year old loved it. The nine year old was a little apprehensive so we rented a body board (boogie board, whatever they are called) so he could use that to float on then look over the sides when he wanted to. First time was in Cabo, our favorite place (for everyone) has been Chakanaab Park in Cozumel. Calm waters, beautiful fish and underwater statues.

Just back from the May 28 CB sailing. In St. Thomas we took a daysail with "new horizons". It is a sailboat that goes to two sites and serves lunch in the middle ($99 for adults and 49 for kids). Our two grandchildren (ages 5 and 8) did OK in the water. They did have a little trouble with the snorkels in that they never quite got it all coordinated. Instead they used the masks and just pulled their heads up to breathe. They are still talking about the urchins they saw.

Your kids will also have a great time snorkeling at Princess Cays. There is a snorkeling area by the cabanas on the right as you arrive, but there are more fish in the snorkeling area on the far left. Both are rather shallow and close to shore.

Les

Agree completely with the practice in a pool first comments. It allows you to practice and check out your equipment.

As for snorkeling with kids, my youngest was a little timid, having gotten a few mouthfuls on his first attempt due to some equipment problems. I got him to try again with us holding hands as we kicked along with our fins. It was a nice way to share the experience, seeing things we could point out to one another and keep his confidence up high. We had a ball.

Archived