Drink Package Worth it?

It's such an individual thing really. It does depend on your normal consumption, and it will be affected by the itinerary, as others have said. On my last Med cruise I was glad I didn't buy the package, but others were very happy with theirs.

I saved quite a bit by purchasing my drinks individually, compared to the premium package price - having wine with lunch (when I wasn't on an excursion, that is) and dinner, and an evening cocktail or two each night, with the occasional spirit thrown in. I didn't like the house wine at all, so I opted for a more expensive glass each time. It still worked out cheaper than the wine package. I had prebooked a bottle of wine for the stateroom and one for the dining room online in advance though. This time I will probably bring two bottles of my favourite on board with me for the stateroom.

Buying the package works for some, but not for me.

We are going on the oasis in a couple of weeks-(so excited!) we are going with 2 other couples and we are all getting the package. Will it be worth it- maybe , maybe not. But we all figured it would be easier to not have to worry about frozen drinks melting, trying a drink and not liking it, buying rounds for everyone, all those receipts....... It will be just one less thing to worry about-it is vacation!! Plus we did prepay this already so we won't even see the amount on our onboard account. Enjoy your vacation everyone- cheers!

With the realization that I can bring on 2 bottles of wine, I will not be getting the drink package. My Mom is in the stateroom next to me and does not drink wine. Therefore, she will also bring on 2 bottles for me. 4 bottles is plenty...I will only need to buy a drink or 2 for myself. My husband will drink a few beers but not enough to pay for the high cost of the package.

If most people had the funds, they would opt for the luxury of a drinks package. But we all know that RCCL is a mass cruiseline that caters to a wide demographic, where you'll end up with a bunch of haters, who despise anything they can't afford while on a cruise ship.

I don't think so. I have the funds to afford the drinks package, but it costs about twice what we normally would spend on alcohol during a cruise. Plus, our normal spending includes some wine with dinner, and I don't think I'd want to just stick to the house wines included with a package I'd already paid for.

So, no, I don't think it's just about whether or not you have the funds to pay for the unlimited package. I think you have a rather warped view of others, there.

You can purchase once on board.

CF18B25E-6426-4759-8E5F-630334671859-3023-000003CA6A211D2A_zpsf5833bad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Thank you, just what I was looking for. Just one question, what is " Private Destinations? ":)

First of all,

greetings from Cologne to the rest of the world...

I've been following this discussions about the drink packages since I booked my first RC cruise which will be with the Splendour of the seas starting from Venedig in June.

Seems like you guys just think about the Premium package.

For me -as a beer drinker- the Classic package will do so I made up my mind to purchase it.

I just like the idea of not worrying about each order, knowing what costs to expect. I'm looking forward to trying some new beers, I can almost see myself relaxing in the sun with a cold beer in my hands...can't wait.:)

I just hope that I will not have to sign any receipt, seems like this is different on each ship.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences, this is very helpful.

Welcome on CC Prewitt !

I am also interested if someone will tell us if we have to sign any receipt or giving the card is sufficient.:)

Thank you, just what I was looking for. Just one question, what is " Private Destinations? ":)

Places like Labadee and CocoCay that are Royal Caribbean private resorts. Your drinks there are also included, if you buy the package.

Welcome on CC Prewitt !

I am also interested if someone will tell us if we have to sign any receipt or giving the card is sufficient.:)

Some have reported still have to sign receipts and some have reported not having to.........I think varies from ship to ship :)

Places like Labadee and CocoCay that are Royal Caribbean private resorts. Your drinks there are also included, if you buy the package.

Thank you,

I really don't know where we would get all of this information if it wasn't for wonderful people on CC.:):)

I so agree with this. It really depends on what type of person you are, and what itinerary you are going on whether it is worth it to YOU. It doesn't matter whether it is worth it to me, or anyone else here. If it works out for you great, if not, buy individually.

I am shocked (not sure why since this is CC), the number of people that come onto the drink package threads and outright state they wouldn't buy it for xxx or yyy reason. If you aren't interested in it, why bother reading the thread?

For us, we are still deciding its worth as we are on a 7 day with 3 ports, one of which is Labadee, so in reality we will have 5 of the 7 days where we will use it all day. A few foo foo drinks by the pool, and a glass or 2 of soda, a before dinner drink, wine with dinner, a drink at the show and maybe another soda or so, puts us at a break even. Spacing drinks out during the day and alternating with water/soda (fountain soda is included) you won't be "blotto" all day.

Not sure why you are "shocked" - if a person is asking for an opinion and my opinion is "no, it's not worth it" (assuming a reason other than "because I don't drink"), why wouldn't I read and then comment?? Can't figure your logic - what am I missing?

I do agree it is very individual, even to the point of will you drink beer, wine, or "foo-foo" drinks (or what combo). Do you prefer martinis, or shots? Might the heat or shore days affect your rate and or style of drinking? Based on the price list posted in post#3, the average cost of drinks could easily exceed $8 per.

I think the facts that it includes premium liquor and tip also factors in to the decision.

Is the purchase option per person, or must all adults in a cabin purchase? (I'm assuming this price is for two cruisers.) If both must purchase, I would think it only makes sense if both have similar habits (how often, not what type of drink).

Good luck on your decision. I'd say if you have a kick-butt cruise price, it fits your budget and your estimates are anywhere near break-even, I think you should give it a try.

Can someone explain to this novice (me) what the deal is around signing the receipts is? It seems like many are against it, but if you prepaid and you just have to sign it and then throw it away, what's the hoopla around it for?

I don't think it's a huge deal for anyone, but I can understand the appeal of not having to worry with a receipt at all.

I have been back-n-forth, back-n-forth about whether to sign up for this program for our May 11 cruise on Oasis. I think we would break even or come out a bit ahead; but I just don't know. So what did I do... I called and put a $250 credit to our room so that I won't see any real charges to our credit card until that $250 is spent. Knowing that I won't be concerned about the drink costs. That money will already be "forgotten"

Can someone explain to this novice (me) what the deal is around signing the receipts is? It seems like many are against it, but if you prepaid and you just have to sign it and then throw it away, what's the hoopla around it for?

It's just something else for folks to complain about :-)

Keeps them happy.

Receipts are not necessary since you are not being charged by the drink. It is about convenience, you should be able to flash your card and get a drink, just like you do with the soda card.

It's just something else for folks to complain about :-)

Keeps them happy.

Someone earlier (can't remember who or which thread) said they were bothered by the receipts because they felt like it was a way for staff to ask for more tips by having you sign. I could care less about signing the receipt (or tipping more for great service), I am just gad that we have another option such as a drink package!

I have been back-n-forth, back-n-forth about whether to sign up for this program for our May 11 cruise on Oasis. I think we would break even or come out a bit ahead; but I just don't know. So what did I do... I called and put a $250 credit to our room so that I won't see any real charges to our credit card until that $250 is spent. Knowing that I won't be concerned about the drink costs. That money will already be "forgotten"

I love this idea. :)

It seems like it makes more business sense for Royal Caribbean to have receipts with these transactions. That way they can keep track of the actual average cost to them with the purchased packages. It would be easier just to grab a drink and go though, but everything can't be perfect.

For me, it's just that I only wear eye glasses for reading or even for signing my name. So, I would have to take my eye glasses from my purse, which is always cluttered with other stuff, put them on, sign and then put them back in my purse, while I do this, I usually need both hands, so I always have to find a place to put down whatever I have in my hands ( in this case the drink I'm guessing ) .Sometimes there are very simple explanations even for silly questions.:)

Honestly, it seems like a process where the consumer has to help regulate an internal control. If they just handed drinks out left and right, nothing would stop every employee from sneaking drinks away because there would be no inventory control. Fountain soda is for one much less expensive and also much harder to regulate as its a big bag of syrup. People sometimes need to get over themselves.

• 3 months later...

I have been tossing up the premium package for weeks. Its a hard call. We are doing B2B, 1st cruise 10 days, 2nd cruise 19, wil be monitoring what we consume on the 1st cruise. Probably wouldnt buy it for the 2nd leg. What I like is the tips are included, we are aussies and are not used to tipping & never know if we under or over tip, we are uncomfortable with tipping. I also like the idea of not having to check the bill daily. My concern is the wine at dinner, we like nice wine with our meals. We drink a lot of water, so will be consuming soda water as its included. If lattees & bottled water were included it would be worth the money for sure.

We leave 13th September, so if I get too stressed about the cost I can cancel.

Tycho Cat

I have been tossing up the premium package for weeks. Its a hard call. We are doing B2B, 1st cruise 10 days, 2nd cruise 19, wil be monitoring what we consume on the 1st cruise. Probably wouldnt buy it for the 2nd leg. What I like is the tips are included, we are aussies and are not used to tipping & never know if we under or over tip, we are uncomfortable with tipping. I also like the idea of not having to check the bill daily. My concern is the wine at dinner, we like nice wine with our meals. We drink a lot of water, so will be consuming soda water as its included. If lattees & bottled water were included it would be worth the money for sure.

Tycho Cat

We took the package on our last cruise 'which was just a week long and it was ok for that but I don't think we'll take it om our next cruise which is 16 days. We found that drinks were very different in the different bars and with only the one type of wine we got pretty fed up.

Like you we love the fact that's tips are included as we are not used to tipping either! However I don't think this alone is enough to make us purchase the package again.

Tycho Cat

We did something similar when the drink packages first came out, but without buying the package. We took a cruise without our daughter, and agreed we would just drink whatever we wanted without worrying about the cost, so we would know if the packages would be a good deal for our next cruise.

We ordered literally whatever we wanted (although I didn't do anything crazy like ordering a cocktail, taking two sips and then deciding to pitch it and get something different), and we found that our drink total didn't even come to half of what the package cost was. I might drink 5-7 drinks one day, but I'm sure as heck not gonna feel like doing it again the 2nd day!

So it made an easy answer for us, and from that point on, we've just paid by the drink without guilt about the cost, knowing we are saving money by not getting a package.

We come closer to the break even point on Celebrity, where juices and coffees are included, but still not close enough. And with the crazy wine rule on RCI, we would never consider it (as a significant portion of our drinking each day is wine with dinner, and I have no intention of paying an "all-inclusive" price but getting stuck with no choice of wine).

Archived