Charge account and currency conversion

HodgeNNicole

Waaaahooo we are getting close.... flying out tomorrow from LAX for our April 30 Equinox Cruise. In looking over the documents I had a question regarding the currency conversion.

My capital one credit card does not charge conversion fees so does that mean i should choose the option that allows my cc company to do the conversion? We are US citizens so does this even matter if it says the currency on the ship is in USD???

In this case, it doesn't matter, but select "let the cc company do any conversion".

In countries that don't use US Dollars, make sure that anything you buy is charged in the native currency.....don't let the store "help" by converting for you. This is also important with car rental companies that seem to convert to $'s for you no matter what you indicate...you have to watch on this one and get it corrected if they don't follow your instructions.

The exception to the above is if you bargain for something in $'s....then make sure the charge is in $'s and matches your price.....again, don't let them convert the $'s you agreed to into the local currency.....another little racket.

Have a great cruise.

...We are US citizens so does this even matter if it says the currency on the ship is in USD???

No, it does not matter. This section of the check in forms only applies to those whose home currency is not U.S. Dollars. All charges on Celebrity are in USD so if your home currency is USD there is no conversion at all.

• 1 year later...
No, it does not matter. This section of the check in forms only applies to those whose home currency is not U.S. Dollars. All charges on Celebrity are in USD so if your home currency is USD there is no conversion at all.

Can I just check from those in the know. Will our onboard account still be in US Dollars for our cruise to Norway from England?

Thank you.