pre cruise hotel - westin fort lauderdale

trub

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has any experience of this hotel? looks ok on the web but has some mixed reviews ?

is it close to any restaurants/bars at all.

any help, as always, much appreciated.

We stayed there this past January....if you are referring to the Westin Fort Lauderdale North. We were not on a HAL cruise but there were lots of HAL cruisers in the lobby. We got the hotel on a Priceline win.

We go to FLL often.

The hotel is just fine. But, it is not close to anything. It sits beside the I95 highway. We had a car and were only staying for two nights so it was fine for us.

It would certainly not be my choice. Even if I were only had a short stay, overnight prior to a cruise, I would want something closer to the airport, the FLL beach area, and the cruiseport..

Cruise lines often use these business type hotels simply because they get great rates Friday through Sunday when business folks are not in the hotel. It allows the cruise lines to make more money.

If you stay in FLL, near the beach or cruiseport, it is very inexpensive and straightforward to get a cab from the airport to your hotel and from the hotel to the cruise port. Count on $15, or 10GBP for each trip. The cruise line shuttles are fine but you will have to wait for the bus to fill up.

We find the cruise line pre and post hotel/transfer prices expensive and inconvenient based on what we can book on our own. The only exception to the might be if you were arriving on at a time when the boat show or some other large event was happening and hotels might be scarce and expensive.

We have also stayed at the Westin Fort Lauderdale. This one is actually right on the beach. Prior to this it was a Sheraton. Nice hotel, it has been upgraded. I highly suspect that this is NOT the Westin that HAL is using. We have not stayed at this hotel since it joined Westin.

There is a whole section on this topic listed under "North American Homeports" much discussion of suitable hotels there

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I too would check on the Florida Departures Board.

Keith

The danger in doing that is that the cruisers on there may be talking about the Westin on the beach. I've seen many cruisers confused by that. The OP would likely be put up at the one on Corporate Drive not the beach.

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has any experience of this hotel? looks ok on the web but has some mixed reviews ?

is it close to any restaurants/bars at all.

any help, as always, much appreciated.

Rather than staying far removed from anything, I would recommend the Embassy Suites, 1100 SE 17th. Street, which is only about a ten minute ride to the cruise port & as well, is a five minute walk from the 'Harbor Shops Plaza', which among other stores/restaurants, has 'Publix' & 'Total Wine'! ;) Also, Embassy Suites has a daily two hour (complimentary) Manager's Cocktail as well as an (included) hot served-to-order breakfast! :)

Embassy Suites is fine but it is very much need of a make over. The room decor is very dark and dated. But the rooms are large.

We stayed there in March on a $76. Hotwire win. I certainly would not pay $180 plus for it. They charge for wireless and parking but do have a good breakfast and a complementary evening drink. You can always check the hotels on Tripadvisor.

thanks for all the information - we have been booked in the westin by HAL so will make do - we probably wont get there untill aboout 5 so just wanted to get a bite to eat, a couple of beers and a good sleep - ready for the main event.

thanks for all the information - we have been booked in the westin by HAL so will make do - we probably wont get there untill aboout 5 so just wanted to get a bite to eat, a couple of beers and a good sleep - ready for the main event.

You'll be fine. I've stayed there many times and I've lived to tell about it:D;). Have a wonderful cruise.

We have stayed at the Westin Fort Lauderdale in the past. The one I am referring to is the one right on the beach. It was very nice. We had a room that overlooked the ocean, so it was difficult to beat.

Stayed in the corporate avenue Westin. Fabulous. The view from our room was to-die-for!

With all due respect are you sure you were on Corporate Ave? There is nothing but office buildings there unless you like that type of thing:D;).

With all due respect are you sure you were on Corporate Ave? There is nothing but office buildings there unless you like that type of thing:D;).

Yes I'm sure, I should have noted I got to the room in the wee hours of the morning and it was the lights of the skyline that were so beautiful :)

Yes I'm sure, I should have noted I got to the room in the wee hours of the morning and it was the lights of the skyline that were so beautiful :)

Thx for the explanation. Usually I get there super late but I don't think I've ever looked at the window.

If you want to book a specific room I can dig through my recent vacation papers and find the room number, it was huge and beautiful!

Thx for the offer but I usually book thru Hal so I bet I wouldn't have any say in it. I just got back from a Princess cruise and I stayed in their pre and post cruise hotel in LA. While I did enjoy the hotel, on the post side I got a beautiful view of the parking lot.

We stayed at this hotel in April 2013 prior to an western caribbean cruise. We had a transfer with Holland America from the Fort Lauderdale airport and arrived five or so hours before the usual check in time. We waited in the front lobby for our room. It was a long long wait. |Actually ate in the only resturant and found the food average but expensive. Finally after checking for the fourth time our room was ready. Nice room, ok view of the area, could see the hwy from our room. Our cruise was the next day, so we were without a car,

nothing to do without a vehicle. We walked over to a 7/11 off the property and found some nice wines in the store and at a good price. Of course we picked them up for the cruise. We do not recommend the breakfast buffet at all, scrambled eggs were tasteless. |Buffet very expensive. I Ordered off the al a carte menu and the food was hot and tasty. Overall this hotel was just ok. I think Holland America should reconsider their choice for transfer hotels.

Archived